Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 16,890 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are looking in the Hexter Elementary zone due to the number of mid century modern houses there. I know it was recently ranked exempelary - but does anyone have anything else to add on Hexter? Where are the kids from Hexter going after 5th grade - Are they going public to Byran Adams or going private to Bishop Lynch? Also - Any thoughts on future appreciation in the area?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I understand some go on to Hill. There have been problems at Hill but as long as there is a critical mass of kids for upper-level classes, it is an option. I think Allen Gwinn, who runs Dallas.Org - Dallas News and Information (a school watchdog site) sends his kids to Hill. Also Tim Rogers, editor at D Magazine, has his kid at Hexter. He sometimes posts about the school on FrontBurner

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Bishop Lynch is a high school - 9th-12th grades.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 AM

446 posts, read 1,006,325 times
Getting your kids into private schools for jr high isn't easy. Hexter is a good school but because of the jr high and high school, a lot of folks in that neighborhood start with the private schools right off the bat. St. John's & St. Bernard's are the most popular private schools in that neighborhood, St. Pat's and St. James are also good.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Things could get better in five years - some people think areas around there will see a Lakewood-like price appreciation. I don't know that area as well or all the school dynamics. The fact that the Lake Highlands area to the north has some schools which are becoming more dominated by poor and/or minorities may put additional pressure on the privates schools extant.

I think exemplary Sanger also feeds into Hill - so maybe people returning to Hexter and Sanger will make a difference.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,581 times
DISD is nortoriously bad. Exceptions are few and there are only a handful of decent elementary schools (Stonewall Jackson, Lakewood, and a couple in Preston Hollow and that's about it).

I would guess most people who live over in Forest Hills send their kids to private school. The trouble with that area is that it goes downhill quick once you go east of the railroad tracks and north of Buckner.

As for appreciation, that is an awesome area that will go nothing but up.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
I know a few parents at Hexter and they say it is an amazing school. There is also a larger waiting list of kids who go to lower performing schools, waiting to transfer in there. SHe expects the Middle School to be excellent in a couple of years, as the large number of parents in the area who have sent kids to, and supported, Hexter will be sending those same kids, and same involved parents, to Hill.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
DISD is nortoriously bad. Exceptions are few and there are only a handful of decent elementary schools (Stonewall Jackson, Lakewood, and a couple in Preston Hollow and that's about it).
Absolutely not accurate, have to disagree.

Luckily I have the facts on my side.

JAMES B BONHAM Exemplary
DEALEY MONTESSORI Exemplary
EVERETT L DEGOLYER Exemplary
JULIA C FRAZIER Exemplary
VICTOR H HEXTER Exemplary
STONEWALL JACKSON Exemplary
SIDNEY LANIER Exemplary
WILLIAM LIPSCOMB Exemplary (where I and at least one other city-data poster send our sons)
B H MACON Exemplary
BEN MILAM Exemplary
GEORGE PEABODY Exemplary
ALEX SANGER Exemplary
WILLIAM B TRAVIS Exemplary
WALNUT HILL Exemplary
J P STARKS Exemplary
HARRY STONE MONTESSORI Exemplary

I'd list the Recognized Elementary schools but I haven't got all day
Having said this how a district does isn't all that relevant. It will still have great and terrible schools.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 PM

You can also have great and terrible kids in the same building, which is also hard for DISD detractors to understand (or do they even want to try to understand?).

The great kids are not being shortchanged if they have their own classes. In fact, they do better than the kids at most DFW private and suburban schools. Plus they will have better social skills and broader minds.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

The great kids are not being shortchanged if they have their own classes.
Please explain how "great kids" get to have their own classes. Who determines what is a "great kid" and which ones meet the requirements and is their classroom called the Great Kids Class? Or are they called Neighborhood classes like they were at Preston Hollow or are they called AP classes like they are called in the high schools or are they called Dual Language like it's called in other schools or TAG like even other schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas