Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times

Advertisements

Just don't spray windex or any other cleaner on it for day to day cleanings..I have had granite in two residences, and the best thing I ever did was move to using a paper towel drenched in hot hot water followed by drying with a dry dish towel for daily wipe downs. If anything a drop of mild dish soap on the wet paper towels would be better than any household spray cleaners, and in my opinion granite cleaners.

This method keeps the granite free from chemicals that dull the surface by eating through the sealer, which ultimately cause you to have to seal it more often. And you get the benefit of minimizing the chemicals you use in an area where you prepare food, and saving money on cleaning products. Once in a while I use the Dupont cleaner to get it really clean and it adds a extra shine. It's part of their Stonetech line, called Stone and TileCleaner I think. Good stuff, but you really have to buff it out or it leaves a film. Also keep in mind some granites are harder and less pourous than others, general rule of thumb is lighter granite is more porous than dark. Which could mean, with proper day to day care a darker granite could be sealed less frequently.

The beauty of granite is it is relatively easy to care for, and fairly sterile on it's own. I personally think people make it more complicated than it needs to be with sealing and cleaning too frequently. I am going on a over a year with absolutely no need to seal it again, its a shiny and repels stains like it did from day 1 of being sealed. Like any stone surface, it's low maintenance and requires little from you other than wiping it down and keeping it relatively free from oil sitting on it for a long period.

Once you have slab granite you get REALLY spoiled, it's a wonderful surface for a kitchen.

Last edited by skids929; 08-29-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
For day-to-day cleaning, Method makes a Granite Countertop cleaning spray. I haven't used it, but I LOVE their other products. Target carries the brand.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
We have granite and have done nothing special. The countertops were in when we bought the house so I'm not sure what the installer told the original owners. Mine are polished, are yours?
yes, very polished

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Granite is a porous stone so it needs to be sealed. It should be sealed at least once a year so it keeps the shine too. Don't use harsh chemicals or bleach on it. The Dupont product above should work fine. There are several out there to choose from.

Congrats on your new home.

Naima
thanks, Naima

we lucked out on a builder's model when he went belly up and got it for about 50K under appraised (not that that means much these days)

Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Loves, thans for the great explanation. SInce my counters are something like "Ultra Black" that explains it.
great info, thanks

ours are dark brownish

my wife has been using Windex all purpose cleaner with orange scent and then Pledge

I'll tell her to stop and find something milder

Lot's of great advice on the posts, thanks, all!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 37,454 times
409 makes a granite everyday cleaner-wipe.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbNHbMF4THppW1zDg51wQc6JEwx3bzI oCv6K_nrCfY4oha6p9rUw (broken link)

Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
How do you know when they are in need of resealing?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I have been told that if you want to know you should drip some water on them--not big globs--but drops of water in several locations--and let them sit there

if the water stays beaded up and DOES NOT become absorbed in the granite after 10 min then the granite doesn't really need to be sealed
some granite is NEVER sealed after installation because it is basically too dense and will throw off any sealer that is tried to be introduced
some stone is more porous and is actually filled with a liquid product to fill in holes/cavities in the stone when it is still raw stone--because it is too porous and will crack when it is worked--
this is something that hardens when it sets--like acrylic or plastic--

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 531 times
I have a beautiful granite counter in my bathroom. The cleaning lady left a rag on the counter that had bleach in it. We were out of town so it sat for 4 days. The granite is now bleached in that area. Is there anything that we can do to bring the color back? It is a green and black granite and the spot looks slightly yellow.
thanks!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
you need professional opinion
not a posting site

and you need a new house cleaner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: