Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times

Advertisements

I know plenty of folks who have guns, either under the concealed handgun law or for hunting. I personally don't own a gun. My son has a BB gun. I have relatives who have both and are almost always armed but you'd never know it. One of my former co-workers just got her license and she is always armed, but again you would have no idea. She's your generic soccer mom, not to stereotype that, but you get the idea.

I remember when the police dept was having a gun buy back program and they had about 225 guns turned in. I was talking to a cop and I said, that's a good haul and he said, "There are more than 225 guns just on this street alone. That's a drop in a bucket."

At our lakehouse I would say almost everyone owns guns of some kind. Interest in carrying a gun seems to be increasing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I love these stereotypes For those that say the gun clashes w/ your boots and spurs then you need to get one w/ pearl handle grips. Everything goes well w/ pearl and even looks good w/ my Sunday dress.

Seriously, we have them as do our parents but my sis does not (she does not need one - never EVER have a gun if your the type that could not pull the trigger if you had to - or if you sleepwalk ). We both had our CL when they first came out. You do not have to have a CL if your traveling across 3 counties in the state (which being where I'm at in the metroplex is easy to do, lol). I don't carry unless I feel I HAVE to which is very rare. Hubby on the otherhand does at many times (being the boss and all and never knowing how some wack job is going to handle getting canned). We have the whole range: handguns, rifles, shotguns, bb (good for running off the nasty black birds ). But they are not in sight if you came to my house. I have kids too and have never felt uneasy w/ them in the house. We both grew up w/ them and were taught to respect them and understand them. That and we knew that as a child if we even thought about LOOKING at them we would not be able to sit down for about a year. My grandparents lived in East Texas and we would shot cans all the time down there on their acreage.

If someone does have a CL to carry a handgun it must be CONCEALED! They can NOT have it in plain sight. There are MANY places that prohibits guns - schools, churches, anwyere beer/wine/liquor is sold/consumed, restaurants, bars (lol on this one) and any business that posts that they do not permit them on the premises. If you do have a CL and are caught w/ one on the premises of a place that they are not allowed you can get your CL revoked, gun confiscated, jail time and risk never being able to purchase a gun (background checks) or get a CL. To purchase a gun if you do not have a CL you must wait I believe 3 days for your background check to be completed. If you have a CL you can buy a gun on the spot.

If your husband wants to get a gun I suggest that BOTH OF YOU take a training course for proper handling of firearms and safety. You can call and check around at one of the local gun ranges for classes. THEN if your both comfortable w/ it both of you get your CL (Concealed License). The reason BOTH of you need it is if he is the only one that gets a CL and he leaves his gun in the car hidden properly and you are driving the car w/o him present and should get stopped, car searched, gun found - you go to jail and gun gets confiscated. It is much easier to avoid this by both of you getting a license. Don't think this scenario could play out? It could easily. You could have to drop him off some place that does not allow guns and he happened to have it on him. Stranger things have happened. The other thing is if your husband wants an automatic and you want a revolver then both of you need to get licensed for an automatic. Same thing as above. They work differently and the requirements for the automatic are different than a revolver. If you have a license for a revolver you CAN NOT have an automatic. If you have a license for an automatic you can have either. I prefer a revolver and that is what I have. Hubby as an automatic so I got licensed for that just in case. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, you don't see many pickup trucks anymore w/ the gun racks in the back windows like you used to years ago.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I don't have a gun. I had a BB gun as a teenager and I have been shooting on ranches with friends or cousins. I have done a little bit of hunting, but if I don't want to eat it I see no need to shoot it...I also used to shoot skeet.

I'm a pretty good shot, but to me a gun is just an instrument of death. I really don't want much to do with them anymore...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Thanks Mom, that was an excellent coverage of the topic. I was raised in Texas, went hunting regularly as a child so necessarily always had guns around. There's family property where I could go deer, squirrel, rabbit or bird hunting now but never really cared for hunting, couldn't care less about guns, don't own any and Dad has long moved into the big firing range in the sky. I do appreciate the training.

I have friends who try to interest me in guns to no avail. I do advise that nothing comes between me and the 2nd amendment, that I'm on their side. We agree that should conditions warrant a need to form a militia that they would have some firearm for me.

NYRN, mom's right about the discussion with the hub and both of you should get licensed. Not to contradict myself, but I've often thought I should get licensed as well, as a responsible action. Teach the kids proper respect for firearms but you don't need to teach using the one in the home. Just the respect. Keep the guns and the ammo both locked up, in distinctly separate locations. You can actually get a nice little digital safe for forty bucks either online or at Big Lotts.

Having been raised in the wild west and a military brat as well, I firmly believe in preparation and vigilance. My original comment was partly tongue in cheek but really, can you tell the difference between a mexican and an arab... on the border, at midnite, with nite vision goggles?

Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Those who legally carry a concealed handgun do undergo quite a few hours of safety training, and target practice, so it's not like one can purchase a gun, stick it in their belt and then just stroll around.

Hunters and the like usually keep their rifles and shot gins locked up in a gun safe or gun cabinet. No need to worry about them unless you are a deer or wild hog.

Honestly those who have guns legally aren't the folks you want to worry about. It the thugs, drug dealers, and gang members who carry semi-automatics that one need to worry about, and they can be found in every state of the union. That being said if someone breaks into your home in the state of Texas you have the legal right to shoot that person.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,428 times
Sigh.

Traveling - Until recently, it was a defense to prosecution (meaning you could get arrested and have to go to trial, but could be found not guilty based on the statute) that you could carry concealed unlicensed if you were 'traveling', which was not defined, but commonly accepted as crossing 3 counties that were not part of your normal commute. You can carry an unloaded weapon in the car in an area not accessible to the driver, for any distance, provided the driver is capable of legally owning a gun.

Unreasonable Search & Seizure - If you have a gun in the glove box and you are stopped, don't give the officer permission to search the car, period. (Not that I don't think it's a good idea to have a CHL, but I think it's a better idea to protect your 4th amendment rights.)

Restricted Areas - Guns can be carried by CHL holders into most places in Texas. Most notable exceptions are Secure areas of an airport, places where the courts do business, schools, places marked by the 30.01 sign, or a 51% sign. Amusement parks and sporting events are listed, but basically required to post the 30.01 sign.

Churches are fine, as long as they're not posted. Packaged liquor stores are fine. Restaurants serving alcohol are fine. Government buildings where court business is not conducted are fine. Private residences are fine. However, if you're ever told to not carry a gun on any of those properties (except gov. buildings, and that's debated every so often), and you don't disarm or leave, you're trespassing and can be arrested.

30.01 - A sign indicating that CHL holders may not enter the premises armed. There is very specific wording and font requirements for these signs to be enforceable. They must also be *prominently* displayed at *all* entrances. (Grapevine Mills being a prime example (from several years ago. I don't shop there.))

51% - A business must derive 51% of its income from the sale of alcohol for the consumption on site to qualify. There will generally be signs with big red numbers at the entrance. Bars in restaurants don't qualify, unless they are a separate entity.

Waiting period - There is no waiting period. You can't purchase a gun until a background check has been completed, which is between 0-9 days, usually. I believe a CHL allows you to bypass the NICS check, but your purchase is still recorded.

When you can use your weapon in self defense or defense of others - If a reasonable person would be in fear of their life or severe bodily injury, or the death or injury of another, you may use enough force to stop the attack, up to and including deadly force. You may also use deadly force when there is not a reasonable chance of recovery of stolen property. However, any CHL instructor will tell you that you should never step in to protect someone you don't know (because you are not aware of all circumstances) or to keep your stuff from being stolen (the legal costs will negate the amount that would have been taken).

Texas only recently passed the 'castle doctrine' which states that you have no duty to retreat in your own home, if you feel threatened. Generally, before that, homeowners weren't expected to leave their houses (as they are in some states) and if an intruder was shot on your property (especially at night), you were generally no-billed by the grand jury.

Required Training - no training is required for the *purchase* of a gun in Texas. You must just be legally able to make the purchase to do so (or have it gifted to you). CHL holders have a 2 day training course (mostly on law and de-escalation techniques) and a proficiency exam.

Kids/Morons - Disclaimer: Do what you feel is right for your family. It has been shown time and time again that kids who are not taught about guns will do stupid things with them. I know several families with guns and from a very young age, the kids are taught that guns aren't toys. If they want to learn about them or just see the gun, they can at any time, by asking. There's no sneaking into the closet when the parents are out, because they have access any time they want and then what fun is it sneaking around?

Locking Up Guns - What's the point in having them for defense if you're going to make them inaccessible? Either keep them loaded and handy or quit pretending you'll use them in an emergency.

Crimes - CHL holders are generally less likely to be arrested for *anything* than the general population. Criminals, by the very definition, do not follow laws. Personally, I would feel safer if more honest people had and carried guns. Lubys, anyone?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:51 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRN View Post
but my husband's got it in his head that everyone in Texas owns a gun so if and when we move there he'll have to get one himself. So my question is it common practice to carry a gun around or is this just a silly stereotype?
Texas does have a CHL law, and some of us carry. After you move to texas and establish residency, I encourage both of you to apply for CHL, take the class, get the background check and carry if you are comfortable with such things.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
I never thought I would own a gun let alone 2. We just bought 2 guns and I love them.
We bought them for home protection after hearing what happened to that poor family in Connecticut. We also had 2 escaped prisoners that escaped from our local jail in Granbury and somehow they got a hold of some guns (I guess by their friends). Then there was that home invasion in Dallas where 4 armed guys tried to do a home invasion and the homeowner had a gun and shot them all. This all happened the same week. They all were the straw that broke the camels back.
It is a personal choice and I feel safer knowing I have them. And actually when my husband and I went target practicing, I did better then him!!!!
I also wanted to add that I am from California and I would of bought them there too if I still lived there. So no, it's not just a Texan thing.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM

320 posts, read 296,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRN View Post
but my husband's got it in his head that everyone in Texas owns a gun so if and when we move there he'll have to get one himself. So my question is it common practice to carry a gun around or is this just a silly stereotype?
Gun ownerships seems to be more common among older generations. I can't recall one person in my age group (18-26) who owns a gun, or wants to.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 AM

48 posts, read 291,593 times
I have Aunts Uncles and Cousins in NYC and for years they pictured us down here riding horses on the streets, wearing sidearms etc.
In Ft Worth you might be more likely to find someone on a horse, but wearing a side arm is strictly forbidden.
I happen to own guns, but I have all my life. Their locked in a gunsafe to keep the little hands of my grandchildren off of them.
My dad had guns, but he didn't have a safe, they were in his closet and fear alone kept our hands off of them.
That's a subject for another forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas