Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:05 PM

23 posts, read 105,751 times

Advertisements

but my husband's got it in his head that everyone in Texas owns a gun so if and when we move there he'll have to get one himself. So my question is it common practice to carry a gun around or is this just a silly stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM

670 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Stereotype. We don't own guns, my relatives there don't own guns, most of our friends don't own guns (we have a few that hunt) and the only person I know that owns and has a license to carry a concealed weapon is a friend of ours who is a P.I.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,232,105 times
Default Stereotype

Stereotype. Texas did enact a "right to carry" law a few years back where you can get licensed to carry a gun, but I doubt very many Texans have availed themselves of this law.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

791 posts, read 2,218,596 times
Lot's of people in Texas own guns, but it's not required. Lot's of people in urban areas of ultra-large metros like LA, NYC and DC own guns. From what I hear (or have stereotyped), survival there requires gun ownership.

It sounds like your husband actually wants to own a gun or have gun ownership experiences with other responsible gun owners. Considering the state of affairs in the world today, compounded by immigration unknowns, responsible gun ownership may not be a bad thing. Take all precautions.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,547,555 times
Some people kill rattlesnakes with a hoe. I don't think I would want to get that close. Target practice would be a much better choice. Texas is a big state and the law enforcement officers can't be everywhere. It's just a safety tool in the rural South. We don't carry a gun around unless we go out on the property where wild animals may be a threat. One of the first things a Southern child is taught is the proper use and respect for guns. All guns are loaded whether they are or not. You never point a gun at anything you don't plan to us it on. Guns are not toys, so children are not to touch them.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,319,677 times
According to the Dept. of Public Safety, there are just under 260,000 actively licensed concealed-carry permit holders in Texas as of Dec. 2006 (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/PDF/ActLicAndInstr/ActiveLicandInstr2006.pdf (broken link)).

Not a huge number compared to the population of the state. Of course this doesn't include anyone who illegally carries a weapon or persons with legally owned weapons that are used for hunting or home defense.

Let's just say that there aren't a lot of gunfights in the street here (at least not in the suburbs ). Attention Dallasites - the preceeding is a joke, please don't shoot me

Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,513,568 times
Tell hubby that with everyone here owning a gun . . . wait a second . . . who just owns ONE? Anyway, with everyone having a gun, you do not really need one for protection or anything. Since everyone else has one, when they all start shooting at each other, all you have to do is duck. They all shoot each other, problems solved.

So my advice -- practice ducking.

And besides, anyone who has one gun, has at least one loaner to spare, so us being cordial and all, most anyone will loan him one until you let him have one of his own.

But on a brighter note, at least he does not want to get a Cowboy hat and boots, yet, right? So let him get the gun and play yee-haw. But be warned -- a pickup truck will next on the list.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 PM

415 posts, read 1,714,920 times
Wow, lots of misinformation here.

There is a difference between concealed carry and hunting. Yes, a lot of people in Texas own guns for hunting (as they do in many areas of lighter population. Wisconsin and Illinois come to mind.) There are over a quarter of a million people licensed to carry concealed weapons, which just reflects those who have gone through a 2 day training course, extensive background check, and paid $140 for a 4 year license.

BTW, concealed carry was legalized in 1996, 11 years ago.

NYC and Washington DC don't allow concealed carry (well, NYC does in theory, but you have to be mighty important to get a permit issued) and are pretty liberal, so I'd be willing to bet that per capita, Dallas and Houston have more gun owners.

Also, people tend to associate with those who have similar values. I have as many friends and acquaintances who do own guns as USA_Mom doesn't.

Statistically speaking, guns are safer than buckets. I would say that if your husband wants either a pistol for concealed carry or a long gun for hunting, you should talk to him about it. It's not for everybody, but it's not this evil thing some make it out to be, either.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:08 PM

506 posts, read 2,143,821 times
I'd carry a gun but it would clash with my spurs.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM

23 posts, read 105,751 times
Thanks, the whole gun debate started awhile ago thanks to the influence of his gun crazed friends. We live in a so-so neighborhood in Long Island right now and I grew up in Brooklyn and so far haven't found myself in a situation where I thought to myself man I could so use a gun right now but obviously in the safest neighborhood you just never know. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of having a gun in the home, especially since we have a baby now, which is kind of ironic considering my father was a cop. At least I feel like police officers get regular training on proper use of a firearm. I'm not saying my husband would be irresponsible about the whole thing but it still sits uneasy with me. What kind of training do you need to legally own a gun anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas