Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM

501 posts, read 1,462,635 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pictures Lakewooder. While I don't share you hatred for the northern suburbs and those who dwell out here; I do share your love of historic buildings and tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
Those are great pics, LW When was Woodrow built? It's a beautiful building.

It's funny how newly built high school often incorporate similar elements of design that WW has. Guess it go to show how some architectural styles are just timeless. MUCH better than the square box of a school that is my alma mater Berkner (though I loved the school, despite its plain-jane appearance!)

Last edited by PlanoGirl; 09-13-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
Thanks for the pictures Lakewooder. While I don't share you hatred for the northern suburbs and those who dwell out here; I do share your love of historic buildings and tradition.
I don't have a hatred, I just don't see why anyone would want to live anywhere but Lakewood!

Woodrow was designed and built from 1925 to 1928. The cornerstone was laid on April 18, 1927. It contains a piece of wedding cake from President Woodrow Wilson's daughter Jessie. It cost nearly nearly $800,000 in Roaring 20s money - the tallest building in the world at that time was the 57 story Woolworth Building in New York City and it cost $13 million. After the Depression hit no other high schools were built in Dallas for about 25 years and never as grand.

The architects were Mark Lemmon and Roscoe DeWitt. Lemmon contributed to the design of the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs then visited Europe in WWI where he fell in love with the designs. He did both Highland Park Presbyterian and Methodist Churches and also the Cotton Bowl and Great Hall of the Hall of State at Fair Park. DeWitt is known for his work in Washington, D.C. at the Library of Congress and the East Front extension of the U.S. Capitol building, but became famous as the architect who beat out Frank Lloyd Wright for the commision of the Stanley Marcus estate at One Nonesuch Road in Lakewood. Coincidentally, the Marcus home is now owned by a Woodrow grad. Both designed buildings at SMU and Lemmon also did work for the University of Texas.

SMU Meadows Museum did an exhibit of Lemmon's work featuring the original blueprints of Woodrow. There is also a book about him co-authored by Dallas Park Department head Willis Winters - his son went to Woodrow: Amazon.com: Crafting Traditions: The Architecture of Mark Lemmon (9780870744952): Richard R. Brettell, Willis Winters: Books

Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
They all just try and out do the other...I think a lot of it is a waste. That money could go to real education and paying good teachers....

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't have a hatred, I just don't see why anyone would want to live anywhere but Lakewood!
Well said, just as I don't have a hatred for those who choose to live in Dallas or the Park Cities, I just don't see why anyone would choose to live someplace where their only internet options were cable/dsl/u-verse when a fiber to the premises solution is just waiting for them in parts of the Northern burbs! (not to mention the homes are cheaper, but that's just icing on the FTTP (Fiber to the Premises) cake!

P.S. For a change, I actually liked Lakewooder's pics and thought they were appropriate and awesome for this thread!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I was in the Woodrow auditorium for the first time last winter. I was amazed how truly gorgeous and grand it is.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Lancaster High School has a nice campus and facilities.

Duncanville High School is another nice school. The campus is very large, with a gross area of roughly 884,000 square feet situated on an 83 acre site. (Aerial View)

I also appreciate some of the older Dallas high schools that have lots of architectural character. A few examples:
James Madison High School
North Dallas High School
Sunset High School

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I was in the Woodrow auditorium for the first time last winter. I was amazed how truly gorgeous and grand it is.
It is very nice..... though the legroom between rows seems to be designed for people about 5' tall

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 63,891 times
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but "nice" to me when it comes to schools has to do with the quality of the education going on inside the classrooms. Not the quality of the athletic facilities.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDartRider View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but "nice" to me when it comes to schools has to do with the quality of the education going on inside the classrooms. Not the quality of the athletic facilities.
I hear you! This is my son's high school.
CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas