Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 19,005 times

Advertisements

Thx for the advice Macbeth ! we're actually living in Paris, France at the moment (far far away !) and are planning to come for a few days in october.
As we really don't know Dallas area, I don't know how to start my research ! ... I stay optimistic !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
Some links below. These are in perfectly fine areas pretty short drives to Addison. Renting in Addison is a great solution, too!

Rent for a year and get to know the area. For goodness sakes, you only have a one year old kid, don't be worried about school districts and pay a higher rent to be in a good school district. All the recommendations so far are reacting like you are going to make a life decision. A little more or less than $1000 a month should be fine for a place while you are just getting to know the area.

14800 E Enterprise Dr Unit: 6 C Farmers Branch TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11643528 - Realtor.com®

3047 Airhaven St Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11657868 - Realtor.com®

2 bed 2 bath W/ Extended Basic Cable- W. Plano School (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2599792761.html - broken link)

Contemporary 2BR in Addison! Almost Gone! Available for September Move (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2599743236.html - broken link)

***NO RENT TILL OCTOBER**!! 1 and 1DEN!! (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2598981356.html - broken link)

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Thx Macbeth for the advice ! We are actually living in Paris, France at the moment (far far away !) and are planning to come over for a few days in october.
As we really don't know the area, I don't know how to do my research. I looked on many websites though !

Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Sorry I posted my message twice !
Squirl ... sure I don't want to put my baby at school yet !

Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Some links below. These are in perfectly fine areas pretty short drives to Addison. Renting in Addison is a great solution, too!

Rent for a year and get to know the area. For goodness sakes, you only have a one year old kid, don't be worried about school districts and pay a higher rent to be in a good school district. All the recommendations so far are reacting like you are going to make a life decision. A little more or less than $1000 a month should be fine for a place while you are just getting to know the area.

14800 E Enterprise Dr Unit: 6 C Farmers Branch TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11643528 - Realtor.com®

3047 Airhaven St Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11657868 - Realtor.com®

2 bed 2 bath W/ Extended Basic Cable- W. Plano School (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2599792761.html - broken link)

Contemporary 2BR in Addison! Almost Gone! Available for September Move (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2599743236.html - broken link)

***NO RENT TILL OCTOBER**!! 1 and 1DEN!! (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2598981356.html - broken link)
This.

Natalou, this is excellent advice. Et bienvenue au Texas.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM

17 posts, read 40,298 times
Lots of choices in Addison. It is a very good area with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. Avoid Richardson that was suggested by another poster. Too far away and traffic would be bad. However, because Addison can be pricey, look a little further north. Apartments on Trinity Mills and Frankford RD near the Tollway are nice and still close by. You could also go into north Carrollton or southwest Plano. Areas to avoid: anything south of Addison, anything east of Preston RD or west of Josey, south Carrollton south of Trinity Mills, anything on Alpha.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,396,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl786 View Post
Lots of choices in Addison. It is a very good area with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. Avoid Richardson that was suggested by another poster. Too far away and traffic would be bad. However, because Addison can be pricey, look a little further north. Apartments on Trinity Mills and Frankford RD near the Tollway are nice and still close by. You could also go into north Carrollton or southwest Plano. Areas to avoid: anything south of Addison, anything east of Preston RD or west of Josey, south Carrollton south of Trinity Mills, anything on Alpha.
What is wrong with east of Preston Road???

Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl786 View Post
Lots of choices in Addison. It is a very good area with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. Avoid Richardson that was suggested by another poster. Too far away and traffic would be bad.
I made that commute for years and it never took longer than 15-20 minutes when traffic was bad. Again this is from Richardson West of 75, not East. Addison has much to recommend it but the op mentioned wanting kid stuff in the area as well, and Addison isn't much for that.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Is Addison considered a "high end" area? If so, we can reconsider living in another neighberhood

Thanks for your help !

Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,396,445 times
Addison is considered a place where you go have a drink or where single people live in apartments. It's a wet area (you can get alcohol) so that's why people go there to drink. It feeds into the Dallas ISD (school district) which is usually avoided, so it doesn't attract families. There are some single family homes - nice ones - but the kids, if any, are in private schools. These houses are well hidden and most people don't even see them. I don't consider it high end, it's an entertainment area. Addison has great festivals and one of the biggest July 4th fireworks shows in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas