Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 PM

53 posts, read 143,040 times

Advertisements

Ok so long story short, my wife's ex who is crazy has just popped out of the woodwork and got out of prison, and he's been sending her threatening messages. We are trying to get a protective order against him, but my wife is scared to death, and honestly I'm scared for her. I could easily kick the guy's ass, but I'm worried about my wife... I can't protect her 24/7, and apparently this guy found out where we live. Her ex is a gun collector (would be hard for him to have guns how though) and is crazy enough to use them (he actually did a while back, which is why he was in prison...). Well anyways my wife wants a place where she can take functional self defense classes.... Basically, learn techniques for getting out of choke holds, techniques for disarming an opponent who has a gun pointed to your head, that sort of thing. I have a CCW and a few handguns, and I'm going to get her to get her CCW as well as some firearms training as well.
Thinking about getting a guard dog as well, but that might be going overboard... we don't need a 15 year obligation for what could end up being a few week nuisance.
Anything in the Denton/Frisco/McKinney/Lewisville area would work best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,729 times
I would say Krav Maga would be a good choice for selfdefense.
Muay Thai or BJJ could also work but requires some more effort.

The usually offer at least 1 free class so she can try it out.

You can google and find these gyms all over the place. DM me if you want some suggestions.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
I was looking into maybe doing some boxing classes at Title, that might be an idea for her too.

The gun is really the more realistic option.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I would say Krav Maga would be a good choice for selfdefense.
Agreed.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I was looking into maybe doing some boxing classes at Title, that might be an idea for her too.

The gun is really the more realistic option.
To be honest boxing is pretty useless in a scenario like this.
Krav Maga is good because it is very focused on disarming, deflecting etc.

BJJ is also good because most fights end up on the ground and if you can choke someone out or get a good armbar and pop the arm...you'll have a better chance.

Muay Thai you have elbows, knees and the clinch etc.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSherman View Post
Ok so long story short, my wife's ex who is crazy has just popped out of the woodwork and got out of prison, and he's been sending her threatening messages. We are trying to get a protective order against him, but my wife is scared to death, and honestly I'm scared for her. I could easily kick the guy's ass, but I'm worried about my wife... I can't protect her 24/7, and apparently this guy found out where we live. Her ex is a gun collector (would be hard for him to have guns how though) and is crazy enough to use them (he actually did a while back, which is why he was in prison...). Well anyways my wife wants a place where she can take functional self defense classes.... Basically, learn techniques for getting out of choke holds, techniques for disarming an opponent who has a gun pointed to your head, that sort of thing. I have a CCW and a few handguns, and I'm going to get her to get her CCW as well as some firearms training as well.
Thinking about getting a guard dog as well, but that might be going overboard... we don't need a 15 year obligation for what could end up being a few week nuisance.
Anything in the Denton/Frisco/McKinney/Lewisville area would work best.
A. If he is an felon he cannot, with precious few exceptions, own a gun.
1. If you guys are really concerned one way to play this is to let his parole officer know this turkey has firearms. But you need to be right.

B. Forget training for your wife to fight her way out of a scrape with the guy. Disarming an opponent who has a bead on ones head is the stuff of movies and folklore for the most part.

C. If she's really scared the best thing for her to do IMO is A. buy some professional handgun training B. then buy a gun C. decide if a CHL makes sense or not D. practice a lot.

D. If decide hand to hand skills are needed check out something called Krav Maga.

Voted #1: Krav Maga DFW Self-defense

As my grandfather used to say, "when seconds count the police are only minutes away".

Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Surely threatening her is a violation of his parole. Get him on tape and report him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
To be honest boxing is pretty useless in a scenario like this.
Krav Maga is good because it is very focused on disarming, deflecting etc.

BJJ is also good because most fights end up on the ground and if you can choke someone out or get a good armbar and pop the arm...you'll have a better chance.

Muay Thai you have elbows, knees and the clinch etc.
That's all true but regarding BJJ no sane woman should ever engage a man with intent to take the fight to the ground.

And the Krav Maga guys/gals will tell you trying to disarm a determined armed aggressor by hand is a last resort type thing.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's all true but regarding BJJ no sane woman should ever engage a man with intent to take the fight to the ground.

And the Krav Maga guys/gals will tell you trying to disarm a determined armed aggressor by hand is a last resort type thing.
I understand that, but sometimes you don't get to choose when and where you have/need to fight.
Being prepared is better than nothing.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
The thing about self defense classes is... if you don't 'use' it, you 'lose' it. You can't just take a class and then be adept with those moves indefinitely. You have to practice, or at the very least, take a class at least twice a year. I'm not saying it's a waste of time...it's not...but it's not as helpful as some people seem to think it is.

Also, and I'm saying this as a female, the odds of most women being able to physically fend off a determined attacker are not great. Simply put, even fat out of shape men could take down pretty much any out of shape or moderately fit woman.

A gun is a great option. So is situational awareness, which is the best self-defense tactic ever. A good alarm on the house is a good idea too. Guard dog, don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas