Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Our HOA ARC approved a house plan for house on our culdesac that has a front door that does not face the street--
the front door faces into the side-facing garage of the next-door neighbor...

the plans call for a covered entrance to face the street--and that does--but everything about the house that marks how it "runs" or "sets" on the lot telegraphs that the front door faces the side...
the front entrance only cloaks the fact that the door does not face the street...
the ARC allowed this house to be built in violation of the #1 CCR provision by requiring them to add this design element to hide the fact that the house has a variance

The center ridge line on the roof--if you follow that from end to end, you can see it does not go horizontally across the lot so it would be parallel to the street and the door would face it---but goes at an angle from front to back...because house is built on angle...
It is house for rectangular lot that was turned to fit on a pie-shaped lot...

If you stand in the street at the end of the sidewalk and look up the sidewalk at the porch entrance--you can't see the front door. It is too far to the right to be visible..If you stand at the front door and look forward--now all you can see is the brick wall of the entry porch and a sliver of the street up the culdesac--not what is right in front of the house...
before the wall was bricked, you of course saw the double garage doors of the neighbor...

Now this next-door neighbor wants to put a wrought iron fence down her drive and have a security gate go across it--
One of the current Board directors told her that was OK because it would be within the CCRs of the HOA...
she got bids from two companies and was planning to start but I think she found out that the HOA Board is not going to let her do that...

When she told her new neighbor who is moving in this weekend what she wanted to do, he threw a fit in her driveway and forbade her to put in a fence...a pretty heated fit too from what they said...

Why would he do that--because it would make his house look even more like crap...and demonstrate that it is crooked on the lot--which he is still trying to deny...
He claims that because he got the approval from the ARC there is nothing wrong with his house...yeah, sure...and Mike Tyson does not have a tattooed face...

I have been to every house in this HOA (taken photos of most of them) and ALL of them have a front door that faces the street. 2 of them have front doors that are set at an angle less than 90 degrees but they still face the street...Another has front porch entrance that sort of blocks the view to the street but the front door definitely FACES the street...In that case the sidewalk that comes to the porch is from the driveway at the side of the house--so the porch is oriented there vs the street in front of the house...

The ARC board has repeatedly said this house needed no variances which is why it was approved so quickly and their justification for not turning it down was that it NEEDED no variance..."they did not have a reason to deny the request" is what they told people who complained when they saw how the house sits on the lot...which is bogus...
the CCRs and the ARC language in the HOA documents state that the ARC does not need a reason to turn down a plan request...
but this decision was made in spite of all reasons available to deny the house...they WANTED to approve the plans..they just lied about why they did it...

Now I think if they are going to deny my neighbor across the street--the one next to the crooked house-- the right to put in a legitimate fence because they already have allowed an eyesore to be built..
I am going to have to point that out to them...
I have never seen a home in neighborhood on normal size lots whose front door did not face the street...
I would like to know if anyone has a house they can show me that does violate this basic rule of house design--
ARE there any homes out there where the front door faces the side yard or toward the back?
I know there might be homes like that on much larger lots like couple of acres where you can have more flexibility--but our lots in this HOA are usually .25 or smaller even...and because they are fairly close together , it makes somethis this out of the norm so much more noticeable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 AM

574 posts, read 1,477,966 times
While house hunting last winter I came across a few homes (definitely less than 5) like that here in the Park Cities. Homes that did not have a front door or entrance facing the street. There was one in particular on a French-sounding street that what you could see from the street was obviously the side of the house, and the front was a beautiful New Orleans-style double porch facing the side of the lot. Strange! If only I could remember the address so you could see it on google earth.

Where my parents live they saw a zero-lot line hiuse where the front door was down a verry narrow corridor down the side of the home. But the garage did face the front so it looked like a traditional home untik you went to visit and wondered how you would get in.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
I think this house's front door doesn't face the street:

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
There's a few houses like that in my neighborhood here in Mckinney, on approx. .25 acre lots. Not many, but there are some.

I think they look a little strange, but certainly not to the level of an eyesore or anything, they are still $300k+ houses.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
It's kind of hard to imagine--pictures?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,116 times
When we were looking at houses last year, we looked at a development that had the front doors on the corner of the house.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Our HOA ARC approved a house plan for house on our culdesac that has a front door that does not face the street--
the front door faces into the side-facing garage of the next-door neighbor...

the plans call for a covered entrance to face the street--and that does--but everything about the house that marks how it "runs" or "sets" on the lot telegraphs that the front door faces the side...
the front entrance only cloaks the fact that the door does not face the street...
the ARC allowed this house to be built in violation of the #1 CCR provision by requiring them to add this design element to hide the fact that the house has a variance

The center ridge line on the roof--if you follow that from end to end, you can see it does not go horizontally across the lot so it would be parallel to the street and the door would face it---but goes at an angle from front to back...because house is built on angle...
It is house for rectangular lot that was turned to fit on a pie-shaped lot...

If you stand in the street at the end of the sidewalk and look up the sidewalk at the porch entrance--you can't see the front door. It is too far to the right to be visible..If you stand at the front door and look forward--now all you can see is the brick wall of the entry porch and a sliver of the street up the culdesac--not what is right in front of the house...
before the wall was bricked, you of course saw the double garage doors of the neighbor...

Now this next-door neighbor wants to put a wrought iron fence down her drive and have a security gate go across it--
One of the current Board directors told her that was OK because it would be within the CCRs of the HOA...
she got bids from two companies and was planning to start but I think she found out that the HOA Board is not going to let her do that...

When she told her new neighbor who is moving in this weekend what she wanted to do, he threw a fit in her driveway and forbade her to put in a fence...a pretty heated fit too from what they said...

Why would he do that--because it would make his house look even more like crap...and demonstrate that it is crooked on the lot--which he is still trying to deny...
He claims that because he got the approval from the ARC there is nothing wrong with his house...yeah, sure...and Mike Tyson does not have a tattooed face...

I have been to every house in this HOA (taken photos of most of them) and ALL of them have a front door that faces the street. 2 of them have front doors that are set at an angle less than 90 degrees but they still face the street...Another has front porch entrance that sort of blocks the view to the street but the front door definitely FACES the street...In that case the sidewalk that comes to the porch is from the driveway at the side of the house--so the porch is oriented there vs the street in front of the house...

The ARC board has repeatedly said this house needed no variances which is why it was approved so quickly and their justification for not turning it down was that it NEEDED no variance..."they did not have a reason to deny the request" is what they told people who complained when they saw how the house sits on the lot...which is bogus...
the CCRs and the ARC language in the HOA documents state that the ARC does not need a reason to turn down a plan request...
but this decision was made in spite of all reasons available to deny the house...they WANTED to approve the plans..they just lied about why they did it...

Now I think if they are going to deny my neighbor across the street--the one next to the crooked house-- the right to put in a legitimate fence because they already have allowed an eyesore to be built..
I am going to have to point that out to them...
I have never seen a home in neighborhood on normal size lots whose front door did not face the street...
I would like to know if anyone has a house they can show me that does violate this basic rule of house design--
ARE there any homes out there where the front door faces the side yard or toward the back?
I know there might be homes like that on much larger lots like couple of acres where you can have more flexibility--but our lots in this HOA are usually .25 or smaller even...and because they are fairly close together , it makes somethis this out of the norm so much more noticeable...
I think you need a hobby.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I think there is one in my neighborhood.

I don't know why it would bother anybody.. but then again I'm one of those "crazy" would-never-buy-in-an-HOA-community people.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think there is one in my neighborhood.

I don't know why it would bother anybody.. but then again I'm one of those "crazy" would-never-buy-in-an-HOA-community people.
Also one of those would-never-write-a-page's-worth-of-diatribe-about-the-orientation-of-a-house's-front-door people.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Also one of those would-never-write-a-page's-worth-of-diatribe-about-the-orientation-of-a-house's-front-door people.
Doh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas