Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM

66 posts, read 161,529 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Ok, once again, it's me asking some questions. This time I hope I can be more concrete about things I'd like to know.

Some job colleagues have recommended hubby Flower Mound as a nice place to live.
I've been checking all School zones and reduced my search to Exemplary qualified ones.

This way, these are the districts I'd like to know about. To be more concrete, I would really appreciate any help based in these facts:
Children friendly neighborhoods, sports facilities, shopping and food places near the neighborhood. The most important thing for me is to chose a safe neighborhood where my kids can play on the street. I've got two little boys 11 and 4 years old.

Ok, here are is my selection:
  • Wellington Elementary.
  • Liberty El.
  • Timber Creek El.
  • Flower Mound El.
  • Bluebonett El.
  • Bridlewood El.
  • Prairie Trails El.
  • Oldsetter El.

I've seen really nice homes in all those districts, the problem now is to choose just one

BTW, if someone could be so kind and explain to me extra charges involved in buying a house... for example: additional taxes? Kinds of insurance... would like to know ALL expenses! I've learnt a lot here about home taxes and know there is no income tax! Here where we live now, income tax hubby's paying takes app 40% his income.

I am SO excited about living near Dallas. Hubby lived in NY for 6 years and we've travelled to the US several times, but now I'm discovering a whole new world: bed sizing is drastically different than here, the way houses are cooled and warmed, bills, even buying courtains or furniture is waaaay different!

I can't even imagine how the heck I'm going to pack some of my things and send them overseas!
There's still a long way.

Thank you very much for your kind help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Flower Mound is in Lewisville Independent School District. Two LISD high schools are zoned to the neighborhoods in Flower Mound, Marcus Hs and Flower Mound HS. Both are top-notch- some of the best in the whole Dallas-Fort Worth area. So I don't think you need to fret over which elementary school is "best" because they all feed into two of the best high schools. Make sense? I would confirm all homes are zoned to one of those two high schools though.

Your 11 year old will probably be in 6th grade, right? That's middle school not elementary school. By that age there is less playing in the neighborhood as kids start to pick specific extracurriculars to focus on or try out during middle school- a sport, an instrument, church youth groups, Boy Scouts, etc.

As for taxes, YES- there are income taxes in the US! Just not a second state income tax. You can use the paycheck calculator on this website to figure out what he will be taking home after taxes & other federal deductions, 401k contributions, health insurance deductions, etc:
Texas Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City

There are also annual property taxes to pay. Some of Flower Mound is in Denton County and some is in Tarrant County. You'll need to figure out which county you'll be paying taxes to to estimate your annual bill. The main components of property taxes are: Denton (or Tarrant) County, city of Flower Mound, and Lewisville ISD, and potential additional taxes to fund community colleges or other county-run entities. The 2010 rates were $2.15 per $100 assessed in Denton Co and $2.50 per $100 assessed in Tarrant County. On a $300k home, this equates to $6,450 per year in Denton Co and $7,500 per year in Tarrant Co. This is due in Dec/Jan each year.

Home insurance will probably run you $1500-2000 per year for a $300k home.

Other expenses are: monthly electric, water, gas, & sewage/trash fees. Some are based on how much you use (elextrictuy, water, gas) while others are a fixed amount billed to each home (trash).

That covers the major homeowners expenses.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM

17 posts, read 25,878 times
Bridlewood has both elementary and middle within the sub-divsion. We live there and think that's a plus.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
There isn't really a bad Flower Mound school. My wife teaches in the district.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
Bridlewood has both elementary and middle within the sub-divsion. We live there and think that's a plus.
Same with Wellington, with the added bonus of backing to FMHS. Your kids will likely be able to walk to school all the way to HS if they wanted to. It also means school zones

Seriously, there is no bad choice. Just check out the neighborhoods and pick one you like. The amenities of the 2 master planned communities (wellington & bridlewood) are a plus, but there are plenty of other nice neighborhoods too

Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Oh, all of you are soooo kind and very helpful, thank you very much!

It's not easy at all to make plans on a city you don't know but for the info some job partners are giving to my husband.
He has been in Dallas due to business trips and now he is going to work for Mohawk Industries

Turtle, your post has been as amazing as always! How many helpful tips, thank you very much.

I kept reading this forum as I've found some info about traffic and although I don't really know where is located his new job exactly, all I know is that stays South Dallas at some point between Mesquite and the city.
So... Even with some people telling us to live in Flower Mound, which is a GORGEOUS place to live for sure, with awesome schools... What do you think about expanding my research to Lake Highlands, Lakewood or similar places around the city?
I mean... I read that going to the office may take about 1 hour going and another one coming home!!

I'll try to figure out where is located that Company, but after reading during the whole morning... guess it will be better to pay a little more if necessary than spending 10 hours/week stucked on traffic.

What am I looking for, specifically? Well... I would like to find a house with some backyard, at least 4 rooms and I don't care if it's new or an updated one as I've seen that, for some reason, houses from 2000 and older are way cheaper than new ones!
I will keep all the Flower Mound maps I've printed, this thing is about to drive me crazy!!

We are planning a prospection visit next October, but just imagine that suddenly, you need to move to Europe, to a city called Castellon...

Needless to say my kids speak English and I want an American School as we want to adopt American way of living and try to be one more family there. Don't want to join European groups nor find a house somewhere just because it's surrended by Europeans.

All hubby needed to know is that he can join some Barça Soccer Team fans in the Dallas club and that's all.

I'm very excited about this. It may sound too much excitement for just a relocation but not for me I love the States for soooooo many reasons.

Thanks again!!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM

If you can find out what zip code he'll be working in, we can help! Flower Mound to downtown Dallas (or nearby) would be a terrible daily commute! And if he's stayed in Mesquite before while visiting, it's on the complete opposite side of the metroplex (on the far east side whereas FM is really far north & to the west).

Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Oh, thanks again! Yes, that's what one colleague has just told him (DUH!) Some of that group workers live there, but I find it could be terrible for him to stay inside the car such a long time. Here, where we live now, it takes only about 15 minutes to arrive home.

Ok, I've been doing some research and the address that appears, and guess is the right one as I've checked in the map, is in Hawn Freeway, ZIP 75217. Not a nice area for what we've been told (sorry for those who may live close and think I'm offending you, I'm just repeating what some people told us)

I'm already an expert in Rockwall and Flower Mound areas! LOL
Don't know exactly when are we going to move there, but I can't wait!!
We can thank God because we got a nice house here in an awesome location and life for us is good, but now I can also thank Him for giving us this opportunity!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuquitina View Post
Oh, thanks again! Yes, that's what one colleague has just told him (DUH!) Some of that group workers live there, but I find it could be terrible for him to stay inside the car such a long time. Here, where we live now, it takes only about 15 minutes to arrive home.

Ok, I've been doing some research and the address that appears, and guess is the right one as I've checked in the map, is in Hawn Freeway, ZIP 75217. Not a nice area for what we've been told (sorry for those who may live close and think I'm offending you, I'm just repeating what some people told us)

I'm already an expert in Rockwall and Flower Mound areas! LOL
Don't know exactly when are we going to move there, but I can't wait!!
We can thank God because we got a nice house here in an awesome location and life for us is good, but now I can also thank Him for giving us this opportunity!
Oh wow! That is in south Dallas- very, very far from FM!!! To each his own, but there is no way I'd make that drive daily. It's got to be well over an hour each way!

You said you're familiar with Rockwall- why not look there? Good schools, on a beautiful lake, lots of shopping & restaurants, and MUCH closer to his office. About 30 minutes each way.

Sunnyvale could be another option. It's a small suburb with great schools midpoint between Rockwall and the office. A bit more expensive- you'll need $375k & up to move there.

Aside from those two choices, yes- the immediate areas around the office are not nice. Ranging from industrial to very low income run-down neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
He has been in Dallas due to business trips and now he is going to work for Mohawk Industries
There is an address for Mohawk Industries in Flower Mound. (100 Enterprise Drive #200, Flower Mound, TX) You need to find out what his exact work location is going to be before you go any further.

If it truly is in Flower Mound, you've made an excellent choice. The commute will be wonderful.

If it is in South Dallas, you need to ditch Flower Mound altogether and start looking at other areas, Rockwall included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas