Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,752,389 times

Advertisements

I am new to Dallas (Irving) area and it appears that the Energy market is different from where I relocated from.

Please advice the cheap and best Electricity Provider in Irving (75038) area

I looked at the following web site and it looks like there are different parameters in choosing the provider.

Power to Choose: Compare Offers Now

I beleive fixed rate mean that the rate is fixed over the whole of contract period. Is that right?

Is it better to choose fixed rate or variable rate? Any words of wisdom.

I intend to stay in Dallas area for at least 6 more months so I think it should be fine with 6 month contract period.

Assuming that original contract period is for 6 months, What happens if I use the provider's service for more than 6 months...

Will the contract be extended on a month to month basis or for next 6 months...

Looking at the above web site,

If I go with variable rate plan for the zip code 75038 (Irving)

First Choice Power, Pennywise Power, Bounce Energy, Startex Power and Reliant seem to be good options

If I go with fixed rate plan, for the zip code 75038 (Irving)

Kinetic, Pennywise Power, Reliant, Amigo and Brilliant Energy seem to be good options

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
Funny there is another thread about this subject, just not Irving specific. Confusing stuff out there, even of powertochoose. It's almost like a fixed versus variable mortgage.

How long will you be there? That may have quite a bearing on your decision.

I took the best 2 year fixed rate at about 9 cents. If in 2 years they try to jack me up, I go shopping again. BTW I went with Champion as they have some good JD Power ratings, but I've only had them for a few months. Anyway, I think Oncor is the power provider so you're only dealing with the marketing and billing company, not the power provider itself. Deregulation. Although we get choices, it can be baffling.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Hi Spalam - I'll try to answer your questions for you...

I am new to Dallas (Irving) area and it appears that the Energy market is different from where I relocated from.

Please advice the cheap and best Electricity Provider in Irving (75038) area

SPARK: Welcome to Texas!

I looked at the following web site and it looks like there are different parameters in choosing the provider.

Power to Choose: Compare Offers Now

I beleive fixed rate mean that the rate is fixed over the whole of contract period. Is that right?

SPARK: Check into the terms of the service. Some fixed rates are fixed over the term of the service. Some providers will fix the rate for a few months, and then flip to a variable rate!

Is it better to choose fixed rate or variable rate? Any words of wisdom.

Moderator cut: not allowed

I intend to stay in Dallas area for at least 6 more months so I think it should be fine with 6 month contract period.

Assuming that original contract period is for 6 months, What happens if I use the provider's service for more than 6 months...

Will the contract be extended on a month to month basis or for next 6 months...

SPARK: Based on rules by the PUC (Public Utilities Commission), the rate would flip to a variable rate after your term expires. A retail electric provider would not be allowed to renew you without your consent.

If I go with variable rate plan for the zip code 75038 (Irving)

First Choice Power, Pennywise Power, Bounce Energy, Startex Power and Reliant seem to be good options

If I go with fixed rate plan, for the zip code 75038 (Irving)

Kinetic, Pennywise Power, Reliant, Amigo and Brilliant Energy seem to be good options

Please advice.

Moderator cut: no ads allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: