U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM
 
685 posts, read 1,568,203 times
Reputation: 183

Advertisements

I am an US citizen and planning to family based green card application for my wife. Could you suggest good family based immigration attorneys in
Dallas Fortworth area.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
 
4,500 posts, read 11,199,390 times
Reputation: 2899
Unless you expect specific problems with your case and application, it's pretty easy to do yourself, would save you a lot of money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
 
5,750 posts, read 10,765,407 times
Reputation: 4922
Hanh Duong is Great.

=====================

Attorney Firm: Duong & Associates, PLLC
Attorney Name: Hanh Duong
Address: 1204 North Jofey Lane, Suite 106
Carrollton, TX 75006
Attorney Phone: 214-752-2999
Attorney Fax: 888-750-2371
Attorney Email: minhjw(at)aol.com
Attorney Title: Member
Practice Areas: Business Law; Contracts; Criminal Law; Family Law; Immigration; Labor And Employment; Personal Injury
College: University of Minnesota, B.S.C.S., 1985
Law School: Southern Methodist University, J.D., 1999
ISLN: 914652784
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 14,332,272 times
Reputation: 2450
Check Matindale-Hubbell and Avvo.com for attorney reviews.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 PM
 
11,185 posts, read 9,559,396 times
Reputation: 18532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Unless you expect specific problems with your case and application, it's pretty easy to do yourself, would save you a lot of money.
Filling out the paperwork is one thing. One very tedious thing.
It's quite another to move it through the system. A good immigration attorney is worth every penny. After waiting 4 years with no sign of progress, we paid an attorney $1200 to help us with our daughter-in-law's green card application, and it was approved 2 months later. That was in another city/state; I don't have a local recommendation for the OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Prosper
6,256 posts, read 15,197,768 times
Reputation: 9458
Jack Kim.

Immigration Attorney Dallas specialized in Immigration Case – US Visas ...

Did a great job helping a family member get legal status, and I'm sure they'd agree it was money well spent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
 
4,500 posts, read 11,199,390 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Filling out the paperwork is one thing. One very tedious thing.
It's quite another to move it through the system. A good immigration attorney is worth every penny. After waiting 4 years with no sign of progress, we paid an attorney $1200 to help us with our daughter-in-law's green card application, and it was approved 2 months later. That was in another city/state; I don't have a local recommendation for the OP.
Well, I've recently gone through the process myself and I was basing my post off of that.

I immigrated on a K-1 visa which was the adjusted (I-485) once I married my wife.

I realize the petition for someone you're already married to is slightly different, but based on my experience, I'd save my money unless there were reasons to suspect the application would be troublesome.

When my (then) fiancé applied for me, I think it took roughly 6 months before I had my interview (and for various reasons we actually dragged our feet a little at several points during the process), the K-1 was approved on the spot (again, I realize what the OP is asking about might be a little different), from the date I applied for my AOS to the time my green card was approved was 2-3 months.

If the OP needs a lawyer, I'm sure one or more of the recommendations he's gotten will work out, but if the OP thinks he needs a lawyer in every immigration case and is just hesitant to start the process him/themselves, I wanted to point out that it's relatively straight forward as long as you read everything 5 times and fill everything out truthfully.

Frustrating, yes, impossible, not at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,567 posts, read 37,232,869 times
Reputation: 28505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, I've recently gone through the process myself and I was basing my post off of that.

I immigrated on a K-1 visa which was the adjusted (I-485) once I married my wife.

I realize the petition for someone you're already married to is slightly different, but based on my experience, I'd save my money unless there were reasons to suspect the application would be troublesome.

When my (then) fiancé applied for me, I think it took roughly 6 months before I had my interview (and for various reasons we actually dragged our feet a little at several points during the process), the K-1 was approved on the spot (again, I realize what the OP is asking about might be a little different), from the date I applied for my AOS to the time my green card was approved was 2-3 months.

If the OP needs a lawyer, I'm sure one or more of the recommendations he's gotten will work out, but if the OP thinks he needs a lawyer in every immigration case and is just hesitant to start the process him/themselves, I wanted to point out that it's relatively straight forward as long as you read everything 5 times and fill everything out truthfully.

Frustrating, yes, impossible, not at all.
This. You don't need an attorney to get a green card for a spouse; it's actually pretty straightforward.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Coppell, TX
18 posts, read 36,533 times
Reputation: 27
I did the process for my husband. Very, very easy, just read the instructions carefully and you're good to go! based on friends experiences attorneys are needed if something is not good there are tons of blogs about it. Moderator cut: See Comment If you don't have any issues, its pretty simple.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Sorry, Per ToS, new members must have at least 10 posts before posting recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top