U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 PM

59 posts, read 98,704 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to the new wal-mart yet? I'm trying to understand this area. I frequent the Target on a regular basis and let me just say that my walmart shopping experience is greatly different than my Target experience. I don't understand how this can be when the 2 locations are literally across the street from each other almost. What are all those apts behind wal-mart? I've never noticed them before. I swear, the longer I live in Dallas the more I feel as if I live in a bubble. Lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 PM

687 posts, read 2,235,635 times
I've been. It's exactly what it you would expect from a Wal-Mart. Nothing fancy at all. Although, being able to park in the garage and take the escalator up in to the store is nice.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,296,183 times
I have been in the new WalMart many times. It is very clean and the staff is very friendly. Inventory-wise, it is just a WalMart and carry the same stuff as other WalMarts. As far as the apartments behind it go, you just be living in a bubble! They are the same ones that have been there forever (and wrap around behind the Target on Abrams too!)

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 5,691,877 times
Same old, same old, although I find it to be a much better shopping experience than the store on Forest lane. At least for now.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,152,885 times
I've been and found it a waste of time. It is small for a Wal-Mart and; therefore, lacks things that a larger Wal-Mart has. With a regular Target on one side of it, and a Super Target on the other, I doubt it will do well.
People are used to going to those, and with this Wal-Mart being so small, and not really offering anything additional (No Garden center, No tire and battery, etc) I imagine it will end up being primarily used by people who go to Sams and then need to pick up a couple things at Wal-Mart. The two times I went to check it out, I was surprised how empty it was.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM

59 posts, read 98,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I've been and found it a waste of time. It is small for a Wal-Mart and; therefore, lacks things that a larger Wal-Mart has. With a regular Target on one side of it, and a Super Target on the other, I doubt it will do well.
People are used to going to those, and with this Wal-Mart being so small, and not really offering anything additional (No Garden center, No tire and battery, etc) I imagine it will end up being primarily used by people who go to Sams and then need to pick up a couple things at Wal-Mart. The two times I went to check it out, I was surprised how empty it was.

I didn't notice the missing Garden Center. See that bubble thing again! Lol.
However, I'm in the industry and I do know that a lot of the big box retailers are testing smaller square footage concepts in urban areas.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,716,820 times
I went to the new Walmart two Fridays ago for a special Lego Star Wars DVD release. I couldn't help but notice how amazingly different the experience was from going to both Targets near there for years.

The clientele in the parking lot seemed like it was coming down from last night's party - they were all hootin-n-hollerin back and forth at each other from a few parking lot rows over. A guy ran across the parking lot into a car with loud music and proceeded to smoke a joint - I was parked directly in front of this car...at 9am!!!

Guess there's a reason why "People of Walmart" exists. I have never seen any shenanigans at the neighboring Targets.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowngirl70 View Post
I didn't notice the missing Garden Center. See that bubble thing again! Lol.
However, I'm in the industry and I do know that a lot of the big box retailers are testing smaller square footage concepts in urban areas.
I can see how the smaller Concept would work, but not for a Wal-Mart directly across the street from 2 Targets. The only thing a Wal-Mart has going for it in that location is that it has certain items the Targets don't. If it doesn't why would shoppers change their ingrained habits?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

995 posts, read 2,070,257 times
Its Wal-Mart. It will do really well as usual and maybe run the smaller Target out of business.( I know that Target has been there forever)

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Its Wal-Mart. It will do really well as usual and maybe run the smaller Target out of business.( I know that Target has been there forever)
Why will it? Not simply because it is Wal Mart. It is no bigger than the smaller Target, and is smaller than the Super Target. If it were a full size Wal-Mart with all the additional items a full size Wal-Mart can hold, plus the Garden Center, plus the Tire and Battery, then I think you would be right. As it is it offers less than the two Targets, and is inconvenient to get in and out of. It is unlikely to cause people to break ingrained shopping habits.
I have ben there twice, and both times there were fewer people there than I am used to seeing in either Target. I don't think that bodes well for it. The Sams is going to have to carry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: