Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,910 times

Advertisements

Hello all...I am looking for a reasonable place to live in the Lakewood area possible by Lakewood Elementary. I am currently in the Lake Highlands area but like this area better. I am a single mother so finances are a little tight but I would like to be in an area that is nice. School is very important to me and I want to make sure my children are getting the best education and live in a good community. Can any one tell me where I can find a good lease property; I would prefer a duplex ; townhome or condo? Any info would be great.

Single mother looking for a good place to live. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times
Most of the rentals in the Lakewood area are found by driving around and writing down the number off a sign in the yard. I don't think there are too many rentals in actual Lakewood (lake to Abrams, Mockingbird to Gaston) but there are quite a few just west of Abrams. Lots of duplexes between Abrams and Greenville. Watch where you are as I am not sure if that side is zoned for Robert E. Lee Elementary, not Lakewood. You might find something in Hollywood Heights which is just south of Gaston or in Munger. Again, watch what school it is zoned to.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info I will ride around the neighborhood. :-)

Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
There are a lot of duplexes on Brentcove Circle just off Mockingbird north of White Rock. I'm not sure if they are Lakewood Elementary, though. We liked the area a lot--safe and quiet.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I would broaden your search to include Stonewall Jackson Elementary, too. Same general neighborhood, just a bit west of Lakewood "proper" and same community, safety, etc. It feeds into the same middle & high school as Lakewood and is also very very good. There are many, many more apartments and duplexes zoned to Jackson than Lakewood and it's a bit less expensive, too.

This is the current attendance zone for Jackson:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...cksonS2011.pdf
As you can see, it includes the apartments between Skillman & Greenville just south of Lovers Lane as well as the many duplexes found in the M Streets.

This is the current map for Lakewood Elementary:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2011.pdf
There are very few apartments in this zone. These complexes are on the south side of White Rock Lake. Winsted at White Rock Lake Apartments Rentals in Dallas, TX[id]/15115/
Braden Power Dallas
Downtown Dallas Texas Apartments for Rent

There are some duplexes in Hollwyood Heights (southern most tip of attendance zone) and some on St Moritz (north of Mockingbird, east of Abrams).

Here are a couple of active MLS listing for rentals in Lakewood & Jackson zones. You'll probably have more luck driving around using the above maps or by looking on Craig's List.
5841 Sandhurst Lane Unit: D Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11643539 - Realtor.com®
5910 Sandhurst Lane Unit: 240 Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11649805 - Realtor.com®

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would broaden your search to include Stonewall Jackson Elementary, too. Same general neighborhood, just a bit west of Lakewood "proper" and same community, safety, etc. It feeds into the same middle & high school as Lakewood and is also very very good. There are many, many more apartments and duplexes zoned to Jackson than Lakewood and it's a bit less expensive, too.

This is the current attendance zone for Jackson:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...cksonS2011.pdf
As you can see, it includes the apartments between Skillman & Greenville just south of Lovers Lane as well as the many duplexes found in the M Streets.

This is the current map for Lakewood Elementary:
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2011.pdf
There are very few apartments in this zone. These complexes are on the south side of White Rock Lake. Winsted at White Rock Lake Apartments Rentals in Dallas, TX[id]/15115/
Braden Power Dallas
Downtown Dallas Texas Apartments for Rent

There are some duplexes in Hollwyood Heights (southern most tip of attendance zone) and some on St Moritz (north of Mockingbird, east of Abrams).

Here are a couple of active MLS listing for rentals in Lakewood & Jackson zones. You'll probably have more luck driving around using the above maps or by looking on Craig's List.
5841 Sandhurst Lane Unit: D Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11643539 - Realtor.com®
5910 Sandhurst Lane Unit: 240 Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11649805 - Realtor.com®

Thanks so much for this info; this helps me know exactly what area I need to look at. Thanks a MIL!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
What is your budget?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 PM

the highest i can go is $1000; it's just me and my son.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 11,772 times
I'm definitely looking as well for a one bedroom with a max of $800. Would like a safe neighborhood as this is my first place and I'm a female that will be living alone.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times
Default San Mateo Forest apts in HHSM

San Mateo Forest Apartments Dallas TX - Floorplans
7100 San Mateo Rd, 75223

My knowledge of these apartments is nonexistent except for the following:

1) they seem nice from the outside

2) the price is really low - efficiencies from $490

3) the neighborhood is within the Lakewood Elementary attendance zone (though outside the Lakewood neighborhood proper)

4) they're about one block from a wonderful park, Lindsley Park, and a charter school (Lindsley Park Community School) that gets outstanding raves on GreatSchools

5) the neighborhood (see hsmna.org) is full of community spirit and welcoming to newcomers

You can get a range of opinions on apartment ratings dot com
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html
(there's a very negative one from last week)

I wouldn't be surprised if many residents of these apts. chose them for the attendance zone. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas