Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 PM

937 posts, read 2,894,144 times

Advertisements

Maybe he was referring to night life in Arlington? Just my guess as I rarely go to Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM

458 posts, read 2,767,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
Maybe he was referring to night life in Arlington? Just my guess as I rarely go to Arlington.
I don't know but I personally don't care about that I'm not the bar party type so it doesn't make any difference to me. If that is your thing, I would probably agree Arlington is not the place to find that type of thing. That doesn't mean the entire place has nothing to do though.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM

937 posts, read 2,894,144 times
Yes it depends on what you want.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,382,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy0637 View Post
Good information so far. I do have a few more questions.

Guerilla says it's a boring place but doesn't this place have six flags and the rangers and soon the cowboys stadiums? Also is it not close enough to other cites if i do get bored to go other places?

Does anyone know about the traffic. looks like to get to farmers branch I would have to take loop 12 to 635 or 360 and 161 to 635. My wife will be working for American airlines call center by the airport so that drive does not look bad. Again I really appreciate the info.

Also if anyone has more info on the neighborhood and or schools I would appreciate it.
Really, that is it. When Six Flags is closed, then what? Why not live in those other cities instead of Arlington? I would say 80-85% of Arlington is a dump. The only good areas are Southwest and Northern Arlington.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,251 times
larryboy0637-
Area:
I currently reside in Arlington. The area where you want to move is not a bad area. The schools around there are some of the best in Arlington, especially the elementary schools. You might want to also look into the Mansfield area as well. There is a lot of fun things that you can do in Arlington. The Arlington Highlands just recently opened. They have so many new shops and places to eat there.

Traffic:
Traffic can get bad especially on Cooper Street, Matlock, and Collins. Stay away from Collins in the afternoon. There is a lot of construction on Collins.

Airport:
If you have to drive to the airport area every morning I would advise leaving at about one hour early. Traffic can get pretty bad when there is an accident on the highway, which occurs daily. Traffic is also bad around 4p.m. but worse around 5 and 6 pm.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM

28 posts, read 84,445 times
Thanks for all the replies. So far I am 50 - 50 on moving there. I have found some other houses in Euless area which is very close to my wife's job. I like arlinton being between FT worth and Dallas and I am not worried about traffic... it seems every place I look at people tell me how bad hte traffic can get... I am hopeing for around 30 - 45 minutes of travel leaving around 7:00 AM every day. and leaving the office around 4 or at 5:30. I am not a club person I just do the normal day things that a family would do with a young child.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,382,588 times
Try out any of the Mid-Cities before Arlington. Even Grapevine would be better. Arlington is just so poorly organized that it is amazing. The residents here would pay for the Jerry Jones World, but not a public transportation system (Arlington remains America's largest city without public transportation of any kind).

Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
Haven't you tried looking at some place in Dallas County?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

458 posts, read 2,767,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Really, that is it. When Six Flags is closed, then what? Why not live in those other cities instead of Arlington? I would say 80-85% of Arlington is a dump. The only good areas are Southwest and Northern Arlington.
What's in those other places that isn't in Arlington?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 PM

506 posts, read 2,139,593 times
Thanks, Guerilla, for your posts from HOUSTON.

We've lived in Arlington for 15 years and have no complaints. Yes, it's a big city but, like another poster, I watch the nightly news and don't seem to notice more crime reports originating out of Arlington. I find that comment odd.

We live on the southwest side where the best schools are. All the schools here feed into Martin High School - the best in town. Our part of town is not transient like some other areas and our kids have, for the most part, gone to school since kindergarten with the same kids they're in high school with now. Much of Arlington is heavily wooded and we live in a beautiful oak forest that we love.

Because the city is so large and, frankly, aging in some areas there are definitely some bad areas - mostly the central (especially along Division St.) and the east side along Hwy. 360 and near the GM plant. We're not a shiny, new suburb like some other areas and aren't filled with gated neighborhoods of big new homes, but they do exist. We've got 350,000 residents, from very rich to very poor. Admittedly, we live in a pretty comfortable part of town with good schools (by choice) and our neighbors are all types of professionals (medical, legal, manufacturing, TV news, oil & gas, car dealers and restaurant chain owners to name a few). A lot of people in Arlington have homes on Possum Kingdom Lake and go there on weekends. I think it's a stretch to say the entire city is a slum filled with less than desirable citizens, which is the drift I'm picking up from a few others.

Traffic on Hwy. 360 is usually awful and, if there's a wreck, forget it. Unfortunately, there aren't any other N/S freeways so alternative routes are through town on city streets. It might take a while to commute from SE Arlington up to 635 - a long while.

I grew up in Dallas with the mentality that anywhere in Tarrant County was, well, below standards. Then I broadened my horizons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas