Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM

325 posts, read 757,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, I don't know about riff raff. We are the riff raff. It's a school for kids with learning disabilities and/or ADHD. The ENTIRE school. ALL riff raff. And it's better.
Ouch, better help Padcrasher pull the foot out of his mouth....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Wisconsin's primary test is the ACT at a 71% test taking rate.

They are 18th in the Nation. 2010 ACT Composite Scores by State

Texas's primary test is the SAT and only test 58% of their students ...they are 47th in the Nation. 2010 Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

The differences in demographics between the two States are not enough to account for that gap.
1. The demographic differences are huge.

2. I'll find the report I'm thinking about post it and you can apologize then. It's been posted here at least twice.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1234 View Post
I wonder how private schools would rank in this list--if I pay $20k/year for private tuition, does all $20k of that benefit/allocate to/fund my child?
No.
I can post some real world private school numbers later.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The notion that private school kids are scared of competition or hiding from Asians is asinine-wishful thinking.
Far from it - that was a major point of the article. The article asserts that the outflow is, by and large, not from kids who could "dominate at West", but those who could not. They select a private school environment over being lost in the shuffle at PISD.

Personally, I'm fine with the size of PISD schools. The ginormous size makes it possible for the schools to offer AP and extracurricular opportunities equal to that of most private schools. But, if you're not in a position to take advantage of that, then the large size becomes nothing but a disadvantage.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM

148 posts, read 307,629 times
i never understand the argument about large class sizes and such. individualized attention in classrooms pretty much stops in middle school. you can get involved in ecs if you put in the effort. bigger schools offer more ap courses (name other school districts that offer as much ap courses and the plano schools). i wonder how these kids and parents will feel when the kid attends college with 300 students in the intro classes. rather them get used to it now than drown in college

Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM

269 posts, read 863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
i wonder how these kids and parents will feel when the kid attends college with 300 students in the intro classes. rather them get used to it now than drown in college
First, in many cases the academic preparation the students have received allows them to skip the introductory "core" classes that tend to be the large lecture classes. It isn't unusual for students with significant AP or dual enrollment credit to enter with sophomore or junior standing able to begin advanced coursework in their majors.

Second, in the cases in which the students are required to take large classes -- for instance to satisfy pre-med core science requirements that cannot be satisfied with AP credit -- the individual attention that students in private high schools receives often makes them the kind of students who are confident enough to approach the teachers in those large classes and receive the kind of attention they are used to.

Finally, many students in private high schools choose college options where they won't have 300 students in their classes -- either by choosing LACs or choosing honors programs in larger universities. A huge emphasis in private high schools in college counseling is "fit". When a student is used to having the individual attention of high school teachers -- detailed personal comments on papers, one on one meetings if they are struggling in a class, recommendations that talk about the student as a person rather than just someone who takes tests and turns in homework -- they come to value that sort of interaction and seek college options that allow it to continue.

All in all -- and from personal experience -- there just really isn't a way that I could characterize the personal attention my students have received in high school as a negative of the education we've chosen for them.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
1) If your kid is top ten percent material- he's that- whether is be at a school of 300 or 3000. If a 3.9 isn't top 10%, it just isn't. And with a graduating class of 300, only 30 get to be the top 10%. The percentage doesn't change just because it's a bigger school.

2) Counselors, extra attention, special sessions generally help the kids in the middle- the kids who are truly in the top will be fine wherever they go...except and this is counterintuitive- at an elite prep school where the standard is highly selective or Ivy- there may be more competition for 'spots' to these schools. Outside of Groton, Collegiate, Exeter and a few other east-coast schools it's unusual to get mulitiple acceptances at the same Ivy.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM

269 posts, read 863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
1)

Counselors, extra attention, special sessions generally help the kids in the middle- the kids who are truly in the top will be fine wherever they go...
They may very well be fine, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't aspire to give them a more meaningful academic experience in high school.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
oppurtunities? Hockeyaday? Green Hills? Plano ISD would not be proud of your endorsement.
Hey, now! Play nice. This poster is clearly posting in his second language. Besides, I kinda like the sound of Hockeyaday. Grammar and spelling notwithstanding, his/her points are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planoedu View Post
Plano still is one of the best district in country.
It's hard to argue with 96 NMSFs and Ivy admissions year after year. Could these kids bailing from Shepton be the canary in the coal mine? Possibly, but it will take more than that to convince me.

Quote:
They provide more oppurtunities to AP, IB, IH, star athletes & gifted musicians.
True. Want an IB diploma? You got it. Want to be a National AP Scholar? No problem. Want to study Chinese? Done. Want to be a marquee Big 12 player? Paging Rex Burkhead. How about those activities that require large numbers of people? Want to be part of a 50+ person orchestra or band, or take part in a large-scale dramatic production? Good look making that happen at "Green Hills", at least without incorporating 7th graders into the effort.

Quote:
Like wealthy people from other districts many wealthy West Plano people do send their children to Green Hills & Hockeyaday for exclusivity.
Absolutely true. The fact that rich people send their kids to private schools isn't news. What should be news is that a sizable percentage of Willow Bend people DON'T send their kids to private schools.

Quote:
Other private schools in the area cater to parents who want some religious influence, want private school name tag but can't afford GH or HD,
Should we really be surprised that Prestonwood and JPII, both located IN PLANO, tend to draw their students from Plano?

Quote:
have children who can't compete with top tier students of PISD.
That's exactly what this latest round of squawking is about. "Reduced opportunities at PWSH" is code for "My kid can't cut it against the Asians from Jasper".

Quote:
Now PISD has higher enrollment so obviously relative number of transfers is higher as well.
The senior class of PISD (4000+ kids) is probably larger than the graduating class of every single competitive private school in DFW put together. JPII poaching an extra 30 kids is meaningless in that context.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
If I can afford it easily than I wouldn't mind sending my sons to Greenhill ... or even some fancy boarding school in switzerland but i want a comfy and early retirement. BTW PISD is much better than most of the public and 2nd tier private schools in DFW... actually in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas