Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,019,720 times

Advertisements

I have checked out few homes in Flower Mound area. It is 5 miles off the highway. It is always going to be that much extra travel compared with Coppell main. Any suggestions regarding specific sub divisions to look for and specific areas to avoid in FM. We would like to buy home zoned to FMHS with very good middle/ elementary schools. Our budget is 300 - 350k and looking for home built around 2000 and later.

What are the chances of getting home for similar budget in West Plano. Please give us your inputs. We are looking for homes in Coppell, FM and West Plano. We have 2 kids. Older one is in 1st Grade. Though it is too early to think about middle/high school, We would like to get them into best universities. I am trying to compare the NMSF list posted on some threads here to come up with these places. Am I missing any other criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Your agent can specify FMHS is the search criteria but it's basically south of FM1171.

There is so much more to choose from in FM than Coppell. Most of the 70k people who live in FM first started their search in Coppell then went farther out. It's very difficult to find a home in Coppell. They've not built a home in Coppell under $500-600k in the last 12 years.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM

350 posts, read 747,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
What are the chances of getting home for similar budget in West Plano. Please give us your inputs. We are looking for homes in Coppell, FM and West Plano. We have 2 kids. Older one is in 1st Grade. Though it is too early to think about middle/high school, We would like to get them into best universities. I am trying to compare the NMSF list posted on some threads here to come up with these places. Am I missing any other criteria.
Here's some big stuff I would look at:

Newsweeks 2012 Best High Schools: Regardless with what you think of the criteria, it provides a wealth of data on schools that made the list- America

SAT/ACT Scores- available on the Newsweek list, but for all area schools:
ACT-http://dallas-area-schools.blogspot.com/2012/01/act-test-scores-class-of-2010-ranked-by.html
SAT- Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2010-2011 SAT Averages by Dallas area High Schools

National Merit is definitely important to look at too.
Also, course and club offerings are important. Each high school should have this on their website somewhere.

Of course, there are many things that can't be quantified, but are aspects of your day to day life at school. If you're looking at Plano, you should know that the very large graduating class sizes, housed at different schools for grades 9-10 and 11-12, make it a different experience than other, smaller schools. I go to Plano West and love this, for sever reasons. First, you have an amazing club/class selection. The 11-12 schools are very nice muti-building open campuses more akin to junior colleges, so you get to walk outside between periods and leave school for lunch. Finally, it's easy to choose the type of people you spend time if, and avoid the people whom you don't like for whatever reason. On the other hand, some students are intimidated by not knowing everyone around them. The big schools will be hard for them, but this is not until 11th grade.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM

186 posts, read 445,045 times
You may not find many choices under $300,000 in 75093 but do look in 75023 & 75024 zip codes in West Plano with PISD.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,911,197 times
That price/ age combo is available in PISD, but not in the marquee areas of west Plano- more in the north Plano area, particularly in the Rice and Hendrick MS zones.

As for the school size, a frequent HP booster on here likes to rip PISD for that. Yet, my kid has had smaller K-8 class and school sizes than he would have had in HPISD -go figure.

9-10 school size is about a wash, and, IMO, the missing juniors and seniors allow the freshmen to find their place without 18-year-olds asking them on dates, offering booze, etc.. Not until 11-12 do the schools supersize, and by that age it's a net positive, as PISDStudent references.

Last edited by Big G; 10-16-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Your agent can specify FMHS is the search criteria but it's basically south of FM1171.

There is so much more to choose from in FM than Coppell. Most of the 70k people who live in FM first started their search in Coppell then went farther out. It's very difficult to find a home in Coppell. They've not built a home in Coppell under $500-600k in the last 12 years.
Hi Rakin,
Thanks for the information. I am going to check the houses south of FM1171. My job is near Las Colinas downtown. I am thinking of checking houses near 2499 and FM rd which are near to 121/635. Checked few homes in VR and one home in Coppell (near 121). So far, we did not like any of them except one in FM which is close to what we are thinking.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
Here's some big stuff I would look at:

Newsweeks 2012 Best High Schools: Regardless with what you think of the criteria, it provides a wealth of data on schools that made the list- America

SAT/ACT Scores- available on the Newsweek list, but for all area schools:
ACT-http://dallas-area-schools.blogspot.com/2012/01/act-test-scores-class-of-2010-ranked-by.html
SAT- Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2010-2011 SAT Averages by Dallas area High Schools

National Merit is definitely important to look at too.
Also, course and club offerings are important. Each high school should have this on their website somewhere.

Of course, there are many things that can't be quantified, but are aspects of your day to day life at school. If you're looking at Plano, you should know that the very large graduating class sizes, housed at different schools for grades 9-10 and 11-12, make it a different experience than other, smaller schools. I go to Plano West and love this, for sever reasons. First, you have an amazing club/class selection. The 11-12 schools are very nice muti-building open campuses more akin to junior colleges, so you get to walk outside between periods and leave school for lunch. Finally, it's easy to choose the type of people you spend time if, and avoid the people whom you don't like for whatever reason. On the other hand, some students are intimidated by not knowing everyone around them. The big schools will be hard for them, but this is not until 11th grade.
Thanks for the links. Junior college is (11 & 12) very common in my country. Basically my choices are Plano ISD (Plano west / Plano senior), Coppell and Flower Mound (FMHS).

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
That price/ age combo is available in PISD, but not in the marquee areas of west Plano- more in the north Plano area, particularly in the Rice and Hendrick MS zones.

As for the school size, a frequent HP booster on here likes to rip PISD for that. Yet, my kid has had smaller K-8 class and school sizes than he would have had in HPISD -go figure.

9-10 school size is about a wash, and, IMO, the missing juniors and seniors allow the freshmen to find their place without 18-year-olds asking them on dates, offering booze, etc.. Not until 11-12 do the schools supersize, and by that age it's a net positive, as PISDStudent references.
Hi Big G and Falafelosophy,
Thanks for providing more information about PISD. Between West Plano and Plano senior, which one is in our price zone (upto 350k) and near to our current job (Las Colinas). West plano seems to be better than all based on SAT and other scores. When I am checking out listing, they only mention high school.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,911,197 times
Neither are particularly close - for location, keep looking in Coppell. Guesstimating, 80% of the Plano Senior area would be at or (mostly) below your price point. 40% or so of Plano West would be, a lot of that is around Frankford and Tollway in Dallas.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Neither are particularly close - for location, keep looking in Coppell. Guesstimating, 80% of the Plano Senior area would be at or (mostly) below your price point. 40% or so of Plano West would be, a lot of that is around Frankford and Tollway in Dallas.
Definitely looking in Coppell. We like Coppell main compared to VR in Coppell ISD. I am still trying to find out effect of cypress project and how the schools are zoned. It is suppose to be huge rental property and part of Dallas city.
Can you please give me specific locations to keep in mind while checking homes in Plano. Between West Plano, Plano Senior, Coppell and FMHS, How do you rank them. Any specific high schools (feeding into junior collage) I need to avoid (Shepton) in Plano based on average income group. Coppell has two high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas