Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM

227 posts, read 528,944 times

Advertisements

Wilson Elementary is the one across the street from the trailer park? Most people feel uncomfortable with that set up since they are spending good money to live in a good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
Wilson Elementary is the one across the street from the trailer park? Most people feel uncomfortable with that set up since they are spending good money to live in a good area.
Hi Obamney1,
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to understand if it is anything like Vickery Elementary in FM.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Can some one give me the new feeder system list (Elem and Middle) for Japser HS (Plano West) going forward. Listings are still showing existing schools. Is this change in school zone included in sellers disclosure form?
Anyone aware of zoning some students from McKamy Middle school to Forestwood middle school in FM.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM

323 posts, read 633,254 times
This is feeder system for Plano West.
Elementary Schools: Andrews, Skaggs, Wyatt
Middle School: Rice
High School: Jasper
Elementary Schools: Daffron, Gulledge, Haun
Middle School: Robinson
Elementary Schools: Barksdale, Brinker, Centennial, Huffman
Middle School: Renner
High School: Shepton
Elementary Schools: Hightower, Jackson (west of Coit), Mitchell, Rose Haggar
Middle School: Frankford

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
This is feeder system for Plano West.
Elementary Schools: Andrews, Skaggs, Wyatt
Middle School: Rice
Elementary Schools: Daffron, Gulledge, Haun
Middle School: Robinson
Elementary Schools: Barksdale, Brinker, Centennial, Huffman
Middle School: Renner
Elementary Schools: Hightower, Jackson (west of Coit), Mitchell, Rose Haggar
Middle School: Frankford
Hi Bypass13,
Thanks for the information. Rice -> Jasper seems to be the best feeder system in terms of the ratings.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM

323 posts, read 633,254 times
Actually all of these schools are superior to other Collin County districts. It basically comes down to where you find the home of your choice. I've been very statisfied with Brinker/Barksdale-Renner-Shepton-Plano West sr stream and can sincerely recommend it for any family. There are several options for High & Sr High with our new Health, Technology & International Baccalaureate academies.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM

81 posts, read 136,091 times
There is a committee in LISD that is exloring scenarios to try and balance the population in the Flower Mound High School feeder pattern which includes McKamy and Forestwood. McKamy is very overcrowded and Forestwood is very underutilized. Forestwood is the biggest middle school square footage wise but has the smallest population. McKamy is already over capacity. There are community meetings scheduled for February to consider suggestions and requests and then they will make a final proposal to the School Board. What will actually happen is still up in the air. They tried to do some re-zoning with Shadow Ridge a few years ago and move some of those kids to Forestwood and the parents threw such a fit it didn't happen. They are all exemplary schools but everyone is so opinionated about it. It looks like most of the proposals involves splitting up Old Settler's Elementary.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 PM

149 posts, read 567,698 times
I don't know if Wilson Elementery is anything like the other in FM. I will say it is a huge stretch to say people are uncomfortable with the set up since houses around the elementary school are selling quickly and sometimes above value. In fact I haven't met a single parent moving out of the area because of the trailer park across the street. Lots of extremely expensive homes feed into this school and they aren't pulling their kids out to put them in private school. I'm going to do some copying and pasting due to previous discussions about Wilson.

"I wouldn't have my kids anywhere else in the district that's how strong I feel about our school although there is no denying it might not be for everyone. If you are looking for a diverse campus with lots of cultures and not the typical "bubble" that defines some parts of Coppell you will be very happy. The school has one of the only two dual immersion programs in the district and is progressive working with our underprivleged and title populations as well as our GT kids and special needs kids. Test scores only tell part of the picture. When you look at the numbers in detail it boils down to a small subpopulation failing the science or math portion of the test (like less than 10) keep us from getting the exemplary rating but makes our campus no less "exemplary". We had many options when we moved here five years ago and were happy enough that when we moved again last year I was only willing to entertain houses in the Wilson zone."

Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 PM

227 posts, read 528,944 times
My interpretation(may be wrong) for this quote: There is a trailer park across the street so there can be trouble in the hood. There is a significant number of hispanic and disadvantaged children so school has to spend funds on double immersion & ESL. School is not exemplary and 10% sub population is failing core subjects of math & science. There are better schools in Coppell but I have a house to sell so I am still recommending Wilson anyways.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM

149 posts, read 567,698 times
Well the fact that I know of 20+ families who have moved from a smaller house in the Wilson zone into a bigger house in the Wilson zone negates the "I'm reccommending Wilson so I can sell a house". Outside of the trailer park homes the houses are in the low 300s to over a million so people are willing to spend their money to live here. It's a neighborhood full of kids whose parents are fully aware of the trailer park across the street yet aren't moving in droves to get away. Most people who move out are moving thanks to a job change (usually out of state not always) and needing to be closer to work. As for the dual language program it is a highly sought after program with a lottery system for english speaking kids trying to get in (only offered at one other CISD school). People actually bypassing their home schools for a chance to come to Wilson. ESL is being phased out as the dual language program moves forward. So there are advantages to having a hispanic population as part of your school. There's also something to be said for the school my kids going to looking more like the rest of the real world and not all one culture or race. Anyway like I said before it's not for everyone. Just trying to give the other poster some other views other than just Wilson is across from a trailer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas