U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,031,726 times

Advertisements

Around holidays I always make a reservation ahead of time. The last thing I want to do is be in a frenzy looking for a parking space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM

527 posts, read 2,059,284 times
I guess Express option seems to be the best for me as it has covered parking (subject to availability) and costs 12$. So they have pick up and drop facilities from and to terminal right ? Would it be available round the clock ?
Similarly is it with the remote parking that the shuttle service is available round the clock ?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,905,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
I guess Express option seems to be the best for me as it has covered parking (subject to availability) and costs 12$. So they have pick up and drop facilities from and to terminal right ? Would it be available round the clock ?
Similarly is it with the remote parking that the shuttle service is available round the clock ?
I've had great success with Express North parking. I use my tolltag to pay as well. They have TONS of shuttles picking you up at your parking spot and taking you to your terminal. If you walk out of any terminal exit/entrance door just look up and you'll see the sign for the shuttle (you may have to walk a few feet).

dfwairport.com - Express Parking

It doesn't say if it is 24hrs but I think it is as I have used them at 5am and also late into the night.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Ok what is this tolltag thing ? I have no clue about all this :S

Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,905,143 times
Info on Tolltags: NTTA: About NTTA

It is convenient for me since we have tolltags on both our cars and use our account a lot. It is a lot better than having to stop at the booth on the way out of the airport and pay with cash or CC. I get back to Dallas from a trip, I get in my car and drive home with no stopping to deal with disgruntled toll booth people.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM

592 posts, read 901,311 times
In my subjective experience, the Express lot is quick and convenient, and the Remote lot is slow and inconvenient.

The Express lot does seem like a great deal which must be why it fills up often. The last time that happened to me though (at Thanksgiving), the Express attendants were giving out vouchers for valet terminal parking at the Express rate (wow!). Not sure of the business logic there but I'm not complaining.

I've found the very cheapest rates via airportparkingreservations.com, which usually leads to the Days Inn DFW North Grapevine in Irving, for around $4 a day. At that rate, you can stay for a couple of weeks and it's less than a shuttle.

The shuttles are a real roll of the dice. Best case, it's only you and it's like a quick cab ride. Worst case, you're last on the list of nine drop-offs and it takes you 90 minutes to go 12 miles -- and you can't know this in advance.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 7,921,942 times
I do not recommend parking at the terminal if you are flying American. They use two terminals so even if you are right by your gate when you depart, you may end up needing to take the people-mover back to the right terminal.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM

863 posts, read 2,499,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
In my subjective experience, the Express lot is quick and convenient, and the Remote lot is slow and inconvenient.

The Express lot does seem like a great deal which must be why it fills up often. The last time that happened to me though (at Thanksgiving), the Express attendants were giving out vouchers for valet terminal parking at the Express rate (wow!). Not sure of the business logic there but I'm not complaining.
You answered your own question. Thanksgiving is a time when DFW is insane, and to make sure people who wanted express had that option, they gave certain people an option to shift over to the underutilized valet for the express price. That would help keep express spots open for those people who need them.

Worst thing is getting to DFW and finding out that all express and remote lots are completely full. Only happens during those peak times like Christmas and such, but it's a royal pain because nobody wants to pay terminal parking prices and off-site can be pricey unless you reserve ahead of time.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM

I am bumping this thread again as i have to go out of Dallas for 5 days next month and now making my itenary and need to decide on the parking soon (or shuttle). But as my timings are quite odd (morning flight from Dallas is at 6 :30 AM and return flight lands at 2:30 AM in the night, i am considering taking my own car and park there.
From all the above posts i see that express parking is the preferred option.
So being totally new to all this and not having that toll gate pass or anything, please help me with (preferably step by step) instructions as to how to go about getting a parking spot.
Also the rush to expect ?
I am travelling on Christmas morning - 25th December and returning back on 30th early morning.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,225,398 times
In spite of being "new" to Dallas, I'm guessing I've probably flown and parked at DFW more than almost any poster here. :-) So, a few things:

A) I personally found the Express lots to be the best. One North, another South. I almost always used the South one. Uncovered parking is $10/day, covered (only available in the North lot) is $12/day. The actual charge will be slightly less if your last "day" is under about 6 hours or so. Exact rates are online and other posters have given you links to those.

The Express lots have shuttle buses that swing by very regularly, pick you up (and drop you off when you come back) right AT your car. It's very rare to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, although I have had it happen once or twice for pick up. (granted, this was mainly spring and summer, it might be worse during the holiday season). For a 2:30 AM arrival you may have to call to request a shuttle - the number will be on the back of the little "ticket" thing the shuttle bus driver will give you. 6:30 AM flight out is not unusual at all, I did that flight several times, and you'll be surprised by how busy the airport is.

As to how to park: simply go thru the entrance either from the north or south (depending on where you're coming from). All the exits are on the left side of the road (towards the "middle"), and the Express Lot exits will be among the very first you see. The signs will indicate if a lot is OPEN or CLOSED . You simply follow the road signs and they'll guide you right to the lot. At the lot, much like at the main entrance, you'll have to get a ticket at the entry gate (since you don't have a toll tag). Tell the person at the gate what terminal you are going to, and they'll direct you to the row where you should park your car (the shuttle buses go to each terminal, so they try to keep all the Terminal A, B, etc. people in roughly the same place). The shuttle bus will stop by your car within 10 minutes (sometimes within a minute after you've parked), the driver will help you aboard, give you a ticket listing the exact space where your car is parked (all the spaces have numbers), and may ask which airline or gate you're flying from (they make 2-3 stops at each terminal).

If you're flying American (roughly 80% of the flights to/from DFW are American/American Eagle) you could be leaving from any of Terminals A thru D, so if possible find out in advance (American's website has that information available). If you don't know, then just choose a terminal at random when asked and the bus will take you there. Once inside find the proper gate for your flight (be sure to double check even if you checked online, as gate assignments can change often!), go through security, and take the Skylink monorail train (you'll see signs for it within the airport) to the proper terminal if necessary. The skylink trains run every 2 minutes or so and can get you from one terminal to another in maybe 5 minutes (it's pretty darn quick).

When you arrive back, simply go to the lower level, follow the signs to where the shuttle buses stop, and wait for one that says it's going to where you parked. Hand the driver your card with your parking location. There is no charge for the shuttle buses, but if your driver is particularly helpful you may want to tip him or her.

I've been down here since late January and have flown back and forth to Chicago almost every week, so it became a routine pretty quickly. The first time thru takes some getting used to, but it's not that bad.

Just be sure to get to the airport well in advance of your flight. Boarding starts about 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time and JETWAY DOORS CLOSE TEN MINUTES PRIOR TO SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME! Also, you can lose your seat assignment if you're not checked in 30 minutes prior to departure, depending on your ticket. I'm guessing from your questions that you're not a frequent flier and therefore have no "special" status with an airline. So, earlier is better. For a 6:30AM flight I'd be parking my car before 5:30AM, preferably between 5 and 5:15. You will still have to go thru security and then get to your gate (which, again, may change without notice). Better to be sitting at the gate with some extra time on your hands than scrambling to catch your flight, especially if you're not used to DFW.

Hope this helps. My expectation would be that Xmas morning should be a light travel time, but December 30th may be rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas