Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 44,084 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are planning to move from MO to TX next Summer and really need your help/opinions on certain areas of Dallas. My husband is originally from Houston and I lived there for almost 4 years, but he is not really too familar with the Dallas area. We have two young children (elementary age) so an excellent school district is a must!! We want to buy a home in a neighborhood that is quiet and, obviously, safe. We would like to live in an area that has shopping and restaurants, but if not, we don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, but we don't want to live somewhere that we would feel isolated. I was hoping you could tell us about Wylie, Highland Village and also Prosper.....or any other that you think would fit into what we need. I have seen homes for sale online that appear to show Highland Village being more expensive....is this correct? Wylie looks like they have nice homes for less, but I don't know anything about this suburb other than what I have seen online.

I truly appreciate any input that you can provide to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
It would depend on where the job is, unless he wants a 2 hr. commute. And what is your budget to rent or buy?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dede2dallas View Post
Hello! My family and I are planning to move from MO to TX next Summer and really need your help/opinions on certain areas of Dallas. My husband is originally from Houston and I lived there for almost 4 years, but he is not really too familar with the Dallas area. We have two young children (elementary age) so an excellent school district is a must!! We want to buy a home in a neighborhood that is quiet and, obviously, safe. We would like to live in an area that has shopping and restaurants, but if not, we don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, but we don't want to live somewhere that we would feel isolated. I was hoping you could tell us about Wylie, Highland Village and also Prosper.....or any other that you think would fit into what we need. I have seen homes for sale online that appear to show Highland Village being more expensive....is this correct? Wylie looks like they have nice homes for less, but I don't know anything about this suburb other than what I have seen online.

I truly appreciate any input that you can provide to us!
There are places all over Dallas that have excellent school districts in quiet, safe neighborhoods. But all those suburbs you mentioned are isolated and the retail is limited. If you share where the job is located and price range, it would be helpful. DFW's metro area is the same size as the state of New Hampshire. There are hundreds of neighborhoods that have what you're looking for. But price of the house and location of the job will determine a lot.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM

My husband will be working in administration (school) and our home buying budget would be no more than $300,000. We are open to our children attending school where we decide to buy or they could go to the school district that my husband will work....but we aren't sure where that will be yet.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM

I was reading some parent reviews of Prosper schools and I'm not sure that it sounds as appealing to me now.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Also, what about Plano, Mckinney, Grapevine?

Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Need to know where you will work.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
We usually suggest that newcomers rent for at least 6 months before they buy so they can get a better feel for the area and figure out where their ideal neighborhood is.

Remember: DFW metroplex is larger than the state of Rhode Island. Commuting all the way across the metroplex is not a good thing.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
We usually suggest that newcomers rent for at least 6 months before they buy so they can get a better feel for the area and figure out where their ideal neighborhood is.

Remember: DFW metroplex is larger than the state of Rhode Island. Commuting all the way across the metroplex is not a good thing.
Renting is a really good idea....we will definitely keep that in mind.

I guess I haven't really given enough details (location-wise) to get an idea of where to live. We are completely open because he can apply to several different school districts, but we have no idea which one will hire him so I guess we should wait until closer to that time.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
You need to wait until you know job location. Wylie, Prosper, and Highland Village could be excellent or awful choices depending on where your husbands job is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas