Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I've spent multiple summers, Christmas, spring breaks and more there. That place is nowhere near perfection.
Like the excellent Twilight Zone episode 'Eye of the Beholder' it's all relative.

My D.C. was the Clinton-era, professional school, friends from undergrad at Georgetown, nights studying at the 'cave' at American University. Wisemiller's sandwhiches in Georgetown. Rowing on the Potomac. Working in Union Station, seeing politicians on a daily basis as I waited tables.

D.C. was learning how government worked. Seeing people who cared more about what they did than what they made (or at least the access that job provided). How to truly become 'political'. How to resolve problems.

"We were young and smart and drove BMW's" -Lauren Hynde, Rules of Attraction.

However...

If you can't hold your own in a conversation, aren't quick witted, aren't just flat out clever in navigating the 6-degrees-of-separation to get you from where you are to where you want to be, D.C. can be infuriating. Everything, even fighting is muted, not alot of yelling or name-calling, definitely nothing as pedestrian as calling someone a 'douchebag'.

Did you never stroll onto the yard at Georgia and W. Streets N.W.?

Last edited by GreyDay; 10-23-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:07 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
DC is the pinnacle of east coast society. It's a town you either get or don't. It is not for everyone. But like the 6th District in Paris, it's perfection.
Perfection? Are you trying to be funny or do you believe that?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Like the excellent Twilight Zone episode 'Eye of the Beholder' it's all relative.

My D.C. was the Clinton-era, professional school, friends from undergrad at Georgetown, nights studying at the 'cave' at American University. Straight Stoli at the annex to the Russian Embassy off Connecticut. Ben's Chili Bowl Vegetarian. Wisemiller's sandwhiches in Georgetown. Rowing on the Potomac. Random parties at the French embassy from connected friends. Working in Union Station, seeing politicians on a daily basis as I waited tables.

D.C. was learning how government worked. Seeing people who cared more about what they did than what they made (or at least the access that job provided). How to truly become 'political'. How to resolve problems. Coming into my own as a young conservative.

"We were young and smart and drove BMW's" -Lauren Hynde, Rules of Attraction.

Treating my time there as a pilgramage to a mecca that completed my young adulthood.

However...

If you can't hold your own in a conversation, aren't quick witted, aren't just flat out clever in navigating the 6-degrees-of-separation to get you from where you are to where you want to be, D.C. can be infuriating. Everything, even fighting is muted, not alot of yelling or name-calling, definitely nothing as pedestrian as calling someone a 'douchebag'.

Did you never stroll onto the yard at Georgia and W. Streets N.W.?
Oh, I get it. People who don't like DC are dumb.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Oh, I get it. People who don't like DC are dumb.
No.

I said it's in the eye of the beholder. It's not for everyone. Unless you've got money, housing is small. Cost of living is high. There is a bit of a ratrace. But like NY,Boston or even Miami if you love it, you love it.

Dallas (where I live btw) is different. Not better, not worse, just different. And again, this was my D.C. experience. Still looking out the window of my studio at the Monument and Capitol every morning was perfect. I have friends who felt the same way they landed at La Guardia or saw Central Park from anything higher than the 20th floor.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Perfection? Are you trying to be funny or do you believe that?
Half the time I can't tell either..

Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM

For the OP, it seems if money's tight, Dallas will be a better choice for immigration law. For a higher-paying job, at least to the extent that it negates the higher COL, Washington is better.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 AM

64 posts, read 204,116 times
I agree with Greyday. It was very hard for me to leave DC. I had some of the best intellectual experiences of my life there. It was during Clinton's presidency that I lived there as well. The atmosphere felt hopeful, thoughtful, idealistic. Here, many women I know are utterly apolitical, voting the way their husbands tell them since they feel too busy with work and family to pay much attention. Also, I keep hearing my vote doesn't count here; that I'm throwing away my time. I have found a few kindred spirits who do not buy Christians must vote one way, but they are scarcer than I'd like. But there are so many things to love about Dallas! So I focus on all of those. I would move back to DC in a heartbeat if I had no family.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitwarren View Post
I agree with Greyday. It was very hard for me to leave DC. I had some of the best intellectual experiences of my life there. It was during Clinton's presidency that I lived there as well. The atmosphere felt hopeful, thoughtful, idealistic. Here, many women I know are utterly apolitical, voting the way their husbands tell them since they feel too busy with work and family to pay much attention. Also, I keep hearing my vote doesn't count here; that I'm throwing away my time. I have found a few kindred spirits who do not buy Christians must vote one way, but they are scarcer than I'd like. But there are so many things to love about Dallas! So I focus on all of those. I would move back to DC in a heartbeat if I had no family.
Do you miss the liberal (small l) homogeny of DC or do you actually miss the city? Further, did you actually live in DC or a burb?

If one is a small l liberal there are few better places in the country to live giddy with those notions unchallenged.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Do you miss the liberal (small l) homogeny of DC or do you actually miss the city? Further, did you actually live in DC or a burb?

If one is a small l liberal there are few better places in the country to live giddy with those notions unchallenged.
Im a hard core liberal and I live in Plano. Yet, I love it. I have met many liberals and conservatives alike. There isnt just one way here.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitwarren View Post
I agree with Greyday. It was very hard for me to leave DC. I had some of the best intellectual experiences of my life there. It was during Clinton's presidency that I lived there as well. The atmosphere felt hopeful, thoughtful, idealistic. Here, many women I know are utterly apolitical, voting the way their husbands tell them since they feel too busy with work and family to pay much attention.
Awwwww, how cute..And where did all this get you? Easy for a society to feel hopeful when unemployment was lower than it had been in 30 years-nothing to do with DC or Clinton. Any implication Clinton is responsible for that, should also imply that your current anointed leader oversaw the highest unemployment in 70 years, and has most large Companies hiding with their tails between their legs.

There are alot of places that have what you described above..And it's no coincidence they all have extremely high property values, taxes, and quality of life standards only the Beautiful People can enjoy. The DFW area on the other hand is a model in this regard.

Last edited by skids929; 10-24-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas