Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM

84 posts, read 377,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
If you want a friend in D.C., get a dog.

That said, you can build a strong consensus of up-and-comers who are doing well in their respective fields and of that alliance, comes true friendship. Folks that make it to D.C. have escaped whatever hometown they're from, they've risen above the fray. They are usually exceptional and in some circles, yes, cutthroat. It's always abotu the next job, next assignment, next invite, next committee. Circles within circles. It is social intercourse in its purest form.

D.C. ain't checkers, it's chess. Gotta keep you head on a swivel, see that robber coming...

Remember, saying something innocuous as your place has a garage, in Georgetown. is basically saying your place is worth 3-4 million.
That is true. When I just moved to DC fifteen years ago, I often had an eerie feeling of being a dolphin swimming among sharks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
I've lived in Dallas and I've lived in DC.

Dallas hands down. DC is all about gov't and lobbyists.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I've lived in Dallas and I've lived in DC.

Dallas hands down. DC is all about gov't and lobbyists.

In much agreeance here. The culture is so political there. I like the culture in Dallas much better. And which scene is better for singles is completely personal preference. I would much rather be single in Dallas.
Love DC though.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

In much agreeance here. The culture is so political there. I like the culture in Dallas much better. And which scene is better for singles is completely personal preference. I would much rather be single in Dallas.
Love DC though.
That's why there's chocolate and vanilla...

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
D.C. is great...For Tourism.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
D.C. is great...For Tourism.
Just walking down the streets of the District, seeing buildings you usually only see on currency always filled me with a great sense of country and patriotism.

Walking past the OEOB to the White House (closed off with Jersey barriers since some knucklehead tried to drive on the lawn) heading over to the Parkway along the Potomac to Georgetown waterfront- It just feels American as Hell.

It's a city everyone should live in at least once, regardless of their political stripe.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Just walking down the streets of the District, seeing buildings you usually only see on currency always filled me with a great sense of country and patriotism.

Walking past the OEOB to the White House (closed off with Jersey barriers since some knucklehead tried to drive on the lawn) heading over to the Parkway along the Potomac to Georgetown waterfront- It just feels American as Hell.

It's a city everyone should live in at least once, regardless of their political stripe.
I grew up 5 miles away from the Old North Bridge...I feel you, but..It did little for my relationships with other human beings, and does nothing for me as an adult in terms of career and earnings. Museums, culture, all that the East Coast has to offer comes at a very high price unfortunately and I don't find I get as much mileage out of it as I should. Maybe it's the kids sucking the life out of me..

Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I grew up 5 miles away from the Old North Bridge...I feel you, but..It did little for my relationships with other human beings, and does nothing for me as an adult in terms of career and earnings. Museums, culture, all that the East Coast has to offer comes at a very high price unfortunately and I don't find I get as much mileage out of it as I should. Maybe it's the kids sucking the life out of me..
I agree on the earnings. I wouldn't be able to make the living I can in Dallas there. Raising a child in D.C. is exponentially harder and more expensive in D.C. than Dallas.

I was in D.C. as a student, so being poor and broke was part of the intern's bargain.

I had my decision to take- Dallas won.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I agree on the earnings. I wouldn't be able to make the living I can in Dallas there. Raising a child in D.C. is exponentially harder and more expensive in D.C. than Dallas.

I was in D.C. as a student, so being poor and broke was part of the intern's bargain.

Definitely the right choice.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:

Congratulations.

BTW, this post is being made in DC. I'm here on a business trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas