Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM

65 posts, read 121,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrell View Post
Lol, glad you enjoyed the joke, Yokie

And ggolf, we'd better get used to hearing jokes about 'eh', eh? it goes both ways too, the landscaper maintaining my house i think is what I've heard you texans refer to as a 'good 'ol boy'. I've never been called ma'am so many times in a single breath, lol.
I had to make a conscious effort to say "maam" here in Virginia because up north it is in some parts considered an insult! In Virginia, and I think most other southern states, such as Texas, it's considered rude not to say it.
And, that's important to remember.

So, if you're talking with a lady, and you forget to say "maam" at the end of your sentence, it tends to put a shadow over their natural friendliness.

It gives truth to the old adage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Even now, I still hear from time to time, "You're not from around here, are you?"

Here's another cultural note that was different for me when I moved south. I was used to shopping, going to the register, cashing out, and doing all that a relatively good pace. One, however, tends to wait a long time in line at the registers, because it is not at all unusual or uncommon for the natives to visit with the cashier for many minutes, catching up on local news, family, relatives and friends.

I used to get so antsy about it, but I've mellowed a lot. On the whole, Southerners move at a much slower pace than what we're used to. I think it has something to with heat vs. cold.

--Yokie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM

57 posts, read 198,684 times
Saying "ma'am" repeatedly here can be interpreted as being passive aggressive, or slyly rude with over politeness, if you're not careful to have a sincere tone. I'll have to be aware of this when I move, does it apply to only men speaking to women, or should both genders use sir and maam for both genders? I'd hate to be inadvertently rude

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,763,167 times
Female here, and I say ma'am and sir to both younger and older females and males (that aren't children, sometimes to even them, always makes them smile!)... just the southern way I was raised, I guess, to be polite.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,572,942 times
agree--
native born Texan
say "Ma'm" and "Sir" to anyone in an older generation, especially people I don't know that well
and people in position of authority or those I call for information--
even customer service people when I call about the U-Verse bill...
unless I can tell they are really pretty young--
young people don't usually get the Sir/M'am thing...

my children who are in their 30s were raised to use Sir/M'am and I hear them use it at times
but I know lots of their friends with children aren't even making the attempt to get smaller kids to use it...
we have good friend from Brooklyn who has lived here for probably 30 yrs and this is really only area her daughter remembers...neither one of them use it...and they certainly aren't teaching the grandson to use it...

I think as more and more people from outside the South move here we will hear it less and less...
and I really think that is a shame...
it costs nothing to show some courtesy and deference...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 PM

425 posts, read 991,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Also remember our summers. It is too hot to arrive at work after cycling for 1/3 of the year.
Did this strike anyone else as funny? I'm just imaging someone taking 4 months to get to work...

sorry, couldn't help myself...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 198,684 times
Quote:
I think as more and more people from outside the South move here we will hear it less and less...
and I really think that is a shame...
it costs nothing to show some courtesy and deference...
Well then, me and my husband will make a definite point of overcoming the feeling that its rude, and use it on a regular basis, thank you both for the info

Its interesting how such a little thing can differ so greatly. I had a French professor in college who told me that when she first came to Canada from France she was absolutely mortified when someone introduced themselves to her and then asked her what her name was. Apparently in France your first name is a deeply personal piece of information and not given to anyone you're not familiar with.

Quote:
Did this strike anyone else as funny? I'm just imaging someone taking 4 months to get to work...
I giggled too ^.^

Sorry to the OP for derailing your thread from the original topic a bit there!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,864 times
I'm a Yankee who's been in TX since 89, and permanently in TX since 99. I love saying "sir" "thank you" "good morning" etc. I was in retail and know what it's like to get a sh*t sandwich every day. My goal is to make some retail folk feel just a bit better. Why not? I hope they appreciate it. It's so easy to do.

I had an instance the other day at Home Depot where I was polite to the checkout person. I bought a closeout item, and she took $10 off because it was slightly damaged. Never asked her, she just did it.

You bet I'll be back at that store!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,371 times
People do tend to take the time for formalities such as 'sir, mam' here. It's a nice reminder to a time gone by. On the east coast, everything is truncated to last names, if that. There is such a rush, rush to do everything. You hear alot of 'this guy, that guy'. So hearing 'sir, mam, the hello's, pleases, how you doings' make the day go by a bit easier. That said, I'm always a bit put off when an 80 year old patient calls me sir. Not because it's wrong, but because of the age differential.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

192 posts, read 593,145 times
As a Texan who just moved to Canada, I think snow is a small price to pay for the healthcare.

Hope your stateside doctor bills don't dissuade you on your new decision.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
As a Texan who just moved to Canada, I think snow is a small price to pay for the healthcare.

Hope your stateside doctor bills don't dissuade you on your new decision.

Good luck!
How's that 50% income tax biting you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas