Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times

Advertisements

Some suggestions others haven't mentioned:

SMU parking garage rooftop (as mami has already figured out, SMU's campus isn't called the "hilltop" for nothing!)
West Village parking garage rooftop
Any Deep Ellum bar/restaurant with a rooftop patio (The Bone)
The pool levels of the Joule Hotel & the W Hotel
Trammell Crow Park (Wycliffe/Sylvan between 35 & 30)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Also, if you're looking for architecturally interesting buildings, check out the following:

-Deep Ellum & Exposition Park (Exposition off Parry St is a very pretty tree lined street with 1920's or older buildings, great doorways, great ceiling details in the pizza place on the corner, worn in sidewalks, hidden alleyway murals- like a block of NYC but in Dallas). Hickory Street Annex is a cool group of buildings (an old Gulf Oil depot from the 1920's).

- Bishop Arts Disrict in North Oak Cliff is one of the city's last remaining trolley shopping districts. The buildings are from the 1920's. The surrounding neighborhoods offer a wide variety of architectural interest, from the craftsman style homes in Winnetka Heights (Winnetka & Davis) to the towering Tudor and Spanish Eclectic 1920's mansions along Colorado Blvd to the cool mid-century modern homes slung along Kessler Parkway.

-Highland Park Village is the nation's first outdoor shopping center, built in the 1930's. Spanish eclectic style.

-Munger Place in East Dallas is one of the largest collection of Craftsman & Prairie Style homes in the nation. Built in the 1910's.

-Swiss Avenue's homes provide just about every kind of architectural style you can imagine!

-Closer to home for you, downtown Plano (E 15th St) is a cute historic district from the early 1900's. The historic McKinney Square & it's surrounding neighborhood filled with Victorian style homes may also be of interest. Downtown Carrollton is much smaller, but also has some interesrif buildings.

I'd recommend picking one of the Dallas neighborhoods though- good to get out and explore yor new city!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,110 times
The mention of the parking garage above reminds me of the parking garage at Plaza of the Americas - great view of Arts District from there.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
I've always thought that the best views of downtown Dallas are from North Oak Cliff or just about anywhere just south of the Trinity River. There are spots along N. Zang before it goes downhill into the river bottoms that offer excellent views.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,702 times
Roof of BMW of Dallas or Park Place Porsche warehouse/garage. It's a great wide-angle view of the entire city skyline.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 41,159 times
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions!
I think I am going to try Belmont Hotel first. I'll check out the other locations over the next week or two
Incidentally, I went to "Trammel Crowe Park" on Sylvan yesterday evening . It had a pretty good view of Dallas skyline too.
Thank you all very much :-)!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 41,159 times
Turtlecreek80:
My reply was sitting on edit mode for a while. I didnt see your response before posting. This is a great list of interesting buildings. Gives me a lot of places to explore over the next few weeks. Thank you very much :-).
Etex2 - The park I went to yesterday is (I think) on North Oak Cliff. And yes, it had a great view.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you're shooting architecture/cityscapes, White Rock Lake won't get you a good grade..
I had an assignment like this back when I was at SMU -- my 'multi-media slide show' got an "A" and you can be sure I had those shots!

I also went all around town and got close-ups of various buildings.

Another good shot of the skyline is from the steps of the Hall of State in Fair Park. Plus you can get photos of all the buildings there and see a lot of details up close that you never knew existed.

I wish I could find that dang slide show because it is now a time capsule of Dallas during the "Dallas" TV days. My favorite roost was atop 3525 Turtle Creek. Greer Garson was living there back then..and really it was easy to climb a few stairs and get onto the roof.

*My father was a big fan of Miss Garson. Ironically enough they both wound up dying down the hall from each other in Presbyterian Hospital in the same week - the fact that she was down the hall gave him a lift. Now they are in the same cemetery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas