U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 AM

7 posts, read 11,979 times

Advertisements

I have spent the last few months researching alot of areas both north and south of the DFW area. Can anyone give me their opinions about the best areas around the DFW for a family with kids from 7-16 yrs of age to move to? Considering all things such as schools, crime, size, traffic, property taxes etc...etc. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 AM

10,542 posts, read 22,428,002 times
Find a job first and then look in the area of your job. DFW area is HUGE (bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island), and there are great communities throughout the area. You don't want to have a long commute here. Also, housing budget will make a difference, too.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 AM

7 posts, read 11,979 times
Hi Christy, thanks for the reply! i see you reply to alot of people with the same question as i have. Job commuting is not a issue, maybe only commuting the kids to school could be a issue though. I work out of country and my wife and kids are home alone when I'm gone to work. I work a 28 days on 28 days off schedule. I have read on here alot of good things about some of the areas, FLower Mound, Rockwall, Rowlett, Grapevine, Crowley. I'm also interested in Keller, Corinth, Mansfield, Saginaw, Lucas just to name a few. We will be coming from a class 3A school district and it looks like most of the schools around DFW are large 5A schools which is a concern to me and the wife about sending our kids to such large schools. Me and the family greatly appreciate the help and value everyones opinion. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM

The budget you have for housing will really depend on where you can look. In Saginaww, you can find a home for $100k, and in Flower Mound, you really need at least $300k.

Yes, most of the schools in the inner-ring suburbs are 5A. To find a 3A school, you will have to go out to the outer-ring subrubs and more rural areas, and those school districts tend to not be as highly rated.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,735,189 times
My only comment is that since there are so many differences in areas, consider renting.

Some other questions:

1. Do you have a specific focus in the schools? Sports, creative or theatre arts?
2. Do you care how far you are from the airport or downtown?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do you care how much land your home is on? Postage stamp? Acreage?
5. Does your family need to use public transportation?
6. Do you want your kids to have a more suburban or city lifestyle?
7. Do you have a particular leaning for newer houses (under 15 years old) or older/vintage homes and neighborhoods?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:48 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,148,845 times
Don't underestimate looking carefully at things you do. I know several people who have moved to DFW and been excited at the idea of White Rock Lake in the city, The Dallas Arboretum, The Surprisingly Good Theatre Scene, The Arts District, The Zoo, The Museums, Fair park, etc...... then bought in the exurbs for a larger house. They now bemoan the fact that they never drive the hour-90 minutes to get to those things. they are just too far away.

Same holds true in reverse for some people who move here because of things that are more Suburban; The big recreational lakes around the area, the brand new homes, the sports teams (well most of them), etc and are shocked to find out that if they live in the city, those things will also be a considerable distance for them.

The last thing is don't write off, or decide on any entire school districts. Many of our districts are quite large, and a "poor" district can have excellent schools (East Dallas/Lakewood in DISD for example) and a good district can have some questionable schools, or schools that are a poor fit for you.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM

1,318 posts, read 2,342,515 times
Very good points Macbeth...The area will really depend on the price range and where work will be.The good thing about Dfw is that there really are many choices for a great,safe suburb.There of course are some better than others ,but overall the good areas outweigh the bad.Here are some suggestions going off the current school ratings and profiles of these areas.Many suburbs in Dfw are growing in will be different in a few years,most for the better....

Some suggestions on suburbs....

- Over $450,000 .... Southlake

- Over $250,000....Prosper or West Flower Mound

- Over $700,000....Highland Park,University Park

- Under $250,000....Frisco,Allen

- Under $180,000...west Mc Kinney

Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM

65 posts, read 86,499 times
What do you guys say about Heath, Sunnyvale, and Rockwall?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

All 3 of those are nice. Sunnyvale is the priciest and will have the smaller ISD you are looking for. Heath and Rockwall share an ISD and have homes all over the price map. These are pretty far from the airport (1 hour+) if that matters for traveling.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,329,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Find a job first and then look in the area of your job. DFW area is HUGE (bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island), and there are great communities throughout the area. You don't want to have a long commute here. Also, housing budget will make a difference, too.
Gospel truth here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas