Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times

Advertisements

Here's a couple of houses in Irving that are approachable to your price range, but higher. Areas are ok. Not pristine, conventional middle class neighborhoods but not scary at all. These would be fine solutions if you were able to enroll your children in the Uplift Charter school..... Infinity Prep. They have some places in K, 1st and 6th grade last I saw. So, were it me, I'd inquire about the charter school and if I could get my kids in, these places would be options. Next challenge, find a landlord who will accept your lease w/o employment....Most of these houses, however, would be ok for elementary school. Most or all Irving public schools have a Hispanic Ethnic majority....just fyi.....that would also be the case for the charter school. Irving is generally a diverse city, with a very large Hispanic and Asian Indian populations. I am Anglo and am perfectly comfortable here!

this one is actually in ok neighborhood public school, but near a super busy corner....need to keep kids away from MacArthur and you may have road noise:
1105 Fairfield St Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11675520 - Realtor.com®

I think Meadow Lark is served by Lamar Middle (Recognized School)..pretty OK neighborhood
2008 Meadow Lark Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11660493 - Realtor.com®

This one on Salem is in the old Plymouth Park. This is a cute area of mid-century modern houses. Lots of retirees live in this area. Lively Elementary is an ok school that serves this area.
1829 Salem St Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11663630 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by Squirl; 11-09-2011 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM

219 posts, read 333,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Here's a couple of houses in Irving that are approachable to your price range, but higher. Areas are ok. Not pristine, conventional middle class neighborhoods but not scary at all. These would be fine solutions if you were able to enroll your children in the Uplift Charter school..... Infinity Prep. They have some places in K, 1st and 6th grade last I saw. So, were it me, I'd inquire about the charter school and if I could get my kids in, these places would be options. Next challenge, find a landlord who will accept your lease w/o employment....Most of these houses, however, would be ok for elementary school. Most or all Irving public schools have a Hispanic Ethnic majority....just fyi.....that would also be the case for the charter school. Irving is generally a diverse city, with a very large Hispanic and Asian Indian populations. I am Anglo and am perfectly comfortable here!

this one is actually in ok neighborhood public school, but near a super busy corner....need to keep kids away from MacArthur and you may have road noise:
1105 Fairfield St Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11675520 - Realtor.com®

I think Meadow Lark is served by Lamar Middle (Recognized School)..pretty OK neighborhood
2008 Meadow Lark Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11660493 - Realtor.com®

This one on Salem is in the old Plymouth Park. This is a cute area of mid-century modern houses. Lots of retirees live in this area. Lively Elementary is an ok school that serves this area.
1829 Salem St Irving TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11663630 - Realtor.com®
You dont think we would be able to find a landlord that would rent to us. Even if we plan on paying 6 months in advance? Our realtor gave us some hope because we had an eviction in 2009, but have two reference letters from two landlords since then plus we're paying 6 months in advance.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
In todays market I think you could find someone who would rent you place. Many people are needing to rent there home or get foreclosed on. Just make sure you don't give them 6 months rent in advance. If you do there is a good chance they will not pay the mortgage and you will be out on the street and your money will be gone.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
In todays market I think you could find someone who would rent you place. Many people are needing to rent there home or get foreclosed on. Just make sure you don't give them 6 months rent in advance. If you do there is a good chance they will not pay the mortgage and you will be out on the street and your money will be gone.
I was going to say the opposite. The rental market is VERY tight in most of DFW because more people are choosing/needing to rent vs buy. My condo rented this summer for full asking price in 1 day.

I would not expect a landlord to give you a discount to pay 6 mos if they can easily find someone who will pay full price every month. Now, if loves can find a place that's been on the rental market for 3+ months, the landlord may be more open to negotiating price.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
You dont think we would be able to find a landlord that would rent to us. Even if we plan on paying 6 months in advance? Our realtor gave us some hope because we had an eviction in 2009, but have two reference letters from two landlords since then plus we're paying 6 months in advance.
I think you will more likely have success in renting an apartment or something that has been on the market for an extended time than a single family house. With this very challenging job market you will be more likely to get someone to do a 6-month lease with you if you have 6 months advance payment as opposed to a year's lease. And most houses have a minimum 12-month lease.

You may also look in Grand Prairie, there are some pockets with fine schools and rents run a little lower there. However, the commute could be a little tougher for your husband than Irving, Euless, Hurst or Bedford.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
a place that has been on the rental market untaken for 3 mo in this market is probably a troubled listing
there have been several stories in both papers over the past months about homes on rental market being a hot ticket with people moving into the area unfamiliar with where they might want to live but wanting a house vs apt...
most homes in good areas with good schools are not sitting vacant unless the rent is above market or there are problems

your best bet is probably to find an owner vs mgmt office--someone who might be willing to read your letters and make a couple of calls to verify the accuracy of your past rental history--
a letter can be forged...
and as someone said--
don't pay all your money up front--
there are stories out there of people doing exactly that and being scammed by the owner
so there can be fault on both sides...

Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think you will more likely have success in renting an apartment or something that has been on the market for an extended time than a single family house. With this very challenging job market you will be more likely to get someone to do a 6-month lease with you if you have 6 months advance payment as opposed to a year's lease. And most houses have a minimum 12-month lease.

You may also look in Grand Prairie, there are some pockets with fine schools and rents run a little lower there. However, the commute could be a little tougher for your husband than Irving, Euless, Hurst or Bedford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I was going to say the opposite. The rental market is VERY tight in most of DFW because more people are choosing/needing to rent vs buy. My condo rented this summer for full asking price in 1 day.

I would not expect a landlord to give you a discount to pay 6 mos if they can easily find someone who will pay full price every month. Now, if loves can find a place that's been on the rental market for 3+ months, the landlord may be more open to negotiating price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
a place that has been on the rental market untaken for 3 mo in this market is probably a troubled listing
there have been several stories in both papers over the past months about homes on rental market being a hot ticket with people moving into the area unfamiliar with where they might want to live but wanting a house vs apt...
most homes in good areas with good schools are not sitting vacant unless the rent is above market or there are problems

your best bet is probably to find an owner vs mgmt office--someone who might be willing to read your letters and make a couple of calls to verify the accuracy of your past rental history--
a letter can be forged...
and as someone said--
don't pay all your money up front--
there are stories out there of people doing exactly that and being scammed by the owner
so there can be fault on both sides...

1. So don't pay upfront 6 months. Even if that may be the only chance I have to find a home/
2. I wont be able to find a home period due to my history. Even though it was in 2009 and I have two landlord references with good standing?
3. We should settle for an apt instead of home. Even though we know are family and dogs wouldn't fit comfortably in an apartment.
4. The landlord may take my money and not pay the mortgage.
5. If we do find a home its in a bad/damaged area with bad schools. Even though our kids aren't school aged yet.

I'm not being smart or sassy here. I'm just really trying to make sure I'm understanding.

My family and I have been staying in mice, bed bug and Roach infested apartments for two yrs just because of our credit and to get the references and we just want to start over and fresh and I'm beginning to get scared that's not going to happen moving there. So please explain a little further.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM

You will just need to get here and get working. You found a place last time you were here that you said would work soo...... this time when you find the place, be ready with deposit, etc. Moving is always hard, harder with kids and dogs..yipes! If Irving is where DH's school is, really try for mid-cities (HEB), Irving or in a big pinch Grand Prairie, Carrollton/Farmers Branch or Arlington. In general, on your budget I would stay away from Dallas and Mesquite.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
I don't know what else there is to explain. A $700ish budget just ISN'T high enough to rent a HOUSE in a safe (not uber safe, just safe enough) DFW neighborhood. This is a major metro area that has a much better economy than where you are moving from in MI. Our housing market isn't depressed. Home values fell a bit here- 20% MAX vs 50-90% in Detroit.

Your options for your budget are 2 br apartments and maybe mobile homes. You could also look at rental homes in the $800 range (*IF you can find one) that have been on the market a while (which probably means they are not in great condition or in as good an area) and try to negotiate the landlord down to your budget. Landlord will take it if he's desperate, but he doesn't have to.

How old are your kids? And will you need to rent this place for more than 1 year? I thought you had a 4 or 5 year old. 5 year olds MUST go to Kindergarten in TX which is why people were mentioning schools.

If you can find an apartment that is managed by a large company (not an individual landlord), you could safely offer 6 mos rent upfront on a 12 mo lease to try to to get the price down. I wouldn't offer 6 mos cash to an individual landlord as particularly in lower income areas, there's a likelihood the owner is not a landlord by choice and may be in financial jeopardy as Grainraiser explained.

Good luck. Everyone here is pulling for you. Every person deserves the chance to better themselves like your family is trying to. The deck is just stacked against you in DFW due to your tenant history and budget and job situation (ie, your husband moving here for school vs job is going to make people nervous about your ability to pay.....hence your 6 mo offer, which may or may not be a good idea depending on who the landlord is).

It is not going to be a comfortable move and you aren't going to immediately upgrade your lifestyle beyond small, crappy apartments. But keep focused on life after hubby finishes school and has a good stable job! It will come.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't know what else there is to explain. A $700ish budget just ISN'T high enough to rent a HOUSE in a safe (not uber safe, just safe enough) DFW neighborhood. This is a major metro area that has a much better economy than where you are moving from in MI. Our housing market isn't depressed. Home values fell a bit here- 20% MAX vs 50-90% in Detroit.

Your options for your budget are 2 br apartments and maybe mobile homes. You could also look at rental homes in the $800 range (*IF you can find one) that have been on the market a while (which probably means they are not in great condition or in as good an area) and try to negotiate the landlord down to your budget. Landlord will take it if he's desperate, but he doesn't have to.

How old are your kids? And will you need to rent this place for more than 1 year? I thought you had a 4 or 5 year old. 5 year olds MUST go to Kindergarten in TX which is why people were mentioning schools.

If you can find an apartment that is managed by a large company (not an individual landlord), you could safely offer 6 mos rent upfront on a 12 mo lease to try to to get the price down. I wouldn't offer 6 mos cash to an individual landlord as particularly in lower income areas, there's a likelihood the owner is not a landlord by choice and may be in financial jeopardy as Grainraiser explained.

Good luck. Everyone here is pulling for you. Every person deserves the chance to better themselves like your family is trying to. The deck is just stacked against you in DFW due to your tenant history and budget and job situation (ie, your husband moving here for school vs job is going to make people nervous about your ability to pay.....hence your 6 mo offer, which may or may not be a good idea depending on who the landlord is).

It is not going to be a comfortable move and you aren't going to immediately upgrade your lifestyle beyond small, crappy apartments. But keep focused on life after hubby finishes school and has a good stable job! It will come.
No my babies are 3 and 1.(April 8, 2008 and September 9, 2010)
Ok thank you. I'm just really ready to move from here. I'm glad I'm doing it before my kids are old enough to remember the shhhh wholes of apts we've been in. Its not going to even take me a month to find work. I've already had a few people tell me to make sure I give them a call as soon as we move. And my husband's school is finding him a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas