Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM

18 posts, read 45,833 times

Advertisements

We are starting our own post to get some advise from this great community. We are moving very soon from Denver (Cherry Creek Schhols -Very good-) to Frisco/Allen area, we have two kids and one is a freshman in High school. We are debating between Frisco (Cypress Creek: Centennial HS and Waterstone:Frisco HS) and Allen (Waterford: Allen HS). We like the Allen athmosphere however have concerns about the size impact on quality in high school. Also, it seems there are more options in Frisco to buy new homes than in Allen. is it true that Allen is almost built in full?...does any one has any info on Allen HS. It seems huge but student/teacher ratio are comparable to Frisco. Any thoughts on the communities would be great too...should we be concern about being to close to Little Elm and Las colinas because of rezoning etc...we also love the Village at Allen/Fairview...but are not sure about the rest of Allen...or these communities listed in Frisco.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,537 times
Allen is a great city.The stimaes build out population is around 85,000 and they are close to reaching that.Allen high school is huge.It really is a matter of preference.Allen has a great amount of school district /city pride.From my experiences,this is not as apparent in Frisco.Frisco is and will be huge.Population right now is about 120,000 and will be built out around 280,000.There are many different high schools.Alot of people are concerned about the size of a huge school like Allen's.It may not be a great fit for every child.We extensively researched Allen,Frisco,Mc Kinney ,Colleyville,Southlake ,Flower Mound and Prosper when we were trying to pick an area to build a house.Driving around and this forum helped us greatly.What is your price range? If you are spending below $200,000 Frisco or Allen are fantastic choices.Frisco has small housing lots overall and is a great option for people who are looking for low landscape maintenance costs.Both areas have mostly alleyway garages.Coming from the northeast we had never seen those before we moved here and did not like them.If you prefer an area that has bigger minimum lot size requirements (and no alleyway garages) check out Prosper. Housing and taxes are more but the area is worth it.Prosper is right next to Frisco.The build out is a out 70,000.Look thru some previous posts for Prosper information.Check out the town of Prosper website and Prosper isd.We have friends who have moved from Allen and Mc kinney for Prosper isd.If you are spending more than about $240,000 I would choose prosper over Frisco.Here are some community suggestions in Frisco ,Allen and Prosper...

Frisco

- Newman Village
- The Trails
- Hunters Creek

Allen

- Twin Creeks
- Starcreek
- Watters creek

Prosper

- Willow Ridge/Cedar Ridge
- Saddle creek
- Deer Run
- Whitley place

Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
Leaving Cherry Creek and coming . . . here?

(what are you thinking? )

No. Seriously. What are you thinking?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM

18 posts, read 45,833 times
CREW, thx for the advise. We checked out Prosper but I think we need to go back again. What we didn't like about it is that it seems there was nothing close by...we wnat to be within 10-15 minutes of a shopping/restaurant area. Our price range is $300-$350k. Will check into those communities you listed. Thanks a ton!
Philip is a job thing...is a great opportunity...unfortunately we have to move. I'll be working in the Plano/granite prkwy/headquarters area. Are you from Denver?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1234 View Post
e. I'll be working in the Plano/granite prkwy/headquarters area.
Then I would go with Frisco. It will be an easier commute.

Another option is to find a home in West Plano in either Plano ISD or in the Castle Hills area of Lewisville ISD.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 AM

We relocated here for a job as well.Coming from such a beautiful area that is not flat,you will probably be a bit taken back by some of the DFW suburbs.We are originally from Connecticut and have family living here.If you are near granite pkwy/headquarters area then Prosper/Frisco is a good idea.Allen is east and your commute will be longer.Although Prosper is 10 minutes from the big shopping areas of Frisco,it will have it's own shopping soon.Here is some major info on Prosper....

When we were in the process of narrowing down areas our must list was....

- Decent size lots throughout the whole city,not a crammed feeling in the neighborhoods.When we toured areas we were shocked to see many subdivisions where houses were so close to each other.We did not want to open our back door and have 5 feet of space between us and the fence.We have friends and family often and wanted to have what we had in Connecticut when it came to yard size.
- A city that had strong zoning practices and valued tax payers
- An area that was somewhat hilly,pleasant topography.
- Great school district,tollway access,high median home values
- No back alley ways

Our top choices were Southlake and Prosper. Southlake is a suburb of Fort Worth west of Dallas.We work in the Plano area and did not want the drive.Prosper was the next best thing. Southlake starts at about $320,000 ,Prosper about $230,000.We built brand new and choose everything in our house including the lot it was built on.It was the best thing we ever did.Energy efficiency is a huge plus to building new.We also had nothing to update or change.We got exactly what we wanted and the builder was outstanding to work with.

- The town is strict with zoning. There are 2 apartment complexes on the outskirts that appear to have been" grandfathered in".Future and current zoning looks on point.Lot sizes are kept large.Taxes are reasonable ,about 2.4 %.Retail is and will be put in the right areas and green space is preserved.The town has held out for a long time and been very picky about what they will allow in.Areas like Denton,Frisco and Mc Kinney have grown much faster ( and they are going to be or already are alot bigger in population,build out estimates are much higher ).Prosper is making alot of solid decisions to protect residents investments.

- The gates of Prosper by Jerry Jones is set to start construction in 2012.The town voted to start moving ahead with this in April 2011.It is i n the agenda notes from the last meeting viewable online.It is in the agenda notes for the meeting on October 25 th next week 9 development and financing agreement between the town of Prosper and Blue Star) Jerry Jones ,owner of the cowboys is behind Blue Star Land.

http://www.ariancompany.com/Gates%20of%20Prosper.pdf

- The new Frisco Costco just opened and is a 5 minute drive from Prosper.

- Prosper will be right off the new tollway extension and has some amazing natural terrain.A Bears Brook golf course by Jack Nicklaus is slated to develop

- 2 Equestrian centers

- Prosper had a 25 percent population growth this past year.The houses are already priced high on huge lots.There are no subdivisions doing new builds under $220,000.Prosper has the highest median home values in Colin County

- Prosper is a unique mix of new suburbia,small old town that has the potential to hold charm.It is somewhat hilly and reminds me of certain parts of Austin.The trees and hills are pleasant.There are no "alley way " neighborhoods in Prosper.In many DFW suburbs there are. We did not like them,you might.

- Prosper built an impressive high school.Prosper High School cost
$113.5 million to build. It is 590,000-square-feet complete with a medical tech lab, a
restaurant-worthy kitchen, a greenhouse, a broadcast studio and an indoor
football practice facility.The School Board passed a $750 million bond package and used the funds for: upgrades to the existing football stadium, a new elementary school, a new middle school, upgrades to the two previously existing elementary schools, a new transportation facility, a new Agriculture/Small Animal Facility, and the brand-new (opened 2009-2010 school year) state-Of-The-Art High School

Built it and they will come! The New Prosper High School Set to Greet its First Students for the 2009/2010 School Year

- We have been very impressed with Prosper ISD.The district has literally exploded in growth and it has been handled well. The town has a tremendous sense of pride.I like the fact that the isd keeps the same mascot throughout every grade. At football games there are 2 sets of cheerleaders the high school and the elementary school.The Prosper simple green P sticker is displayed on the majority of cars I see driving around in the city limits.The town is very supportive of everything the kids do.

*Here are some great Prosper subdivisions in your price range.You could do a new build in all but Stone Creek.You could also buy a pre existing home....

Willow Ridge
Cedar Ridge
La Cima
Deer Run
Saddle creek
Gentle Creek ( golf community )
Greenspoint
Stone creek ( smaller subdivision,built out ,very nice,many trees)

My number one suggestions would be looking in Cedar Ridge with Bloomfield homes if you want to keep it around $290,000 or Saddle Creek & Willow Ridge with Highland homes if you want to spend near $350,000

Check out Prosper in Prosper.com for economic development news and updates. Propsper is aiming to remain a "bedroom community " with appropriate business and retail on 380 and Preston rd.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1234 View Post
We checked out Prosper but I think we need to go back again. What we didn't like about it is that it seems there was nothing close by...we wnat to be within 10-15 minutes of a shopping/restaurant area.
Fair warning: CREW is our Prosper cheerleader here on the Board.

Yes, there is VERY little shopping/restaurants/etc. up in Prosper. It really is out on the prairie. You will have to use a toll road to get to shopping/restaurants.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM

I admit that I am pro Prosper Prosper is not out on the prairie and you will not have to use a toll road to get to shopping and restaurants.It takes me 5 minutes to get to the Costco area of frisco and 10 to Stonebriar mall.Prosper will have shopping if it's own very soon.I am hoping that trader joes or Whole Foods comes into the gates of prosper areaTbere have been some rumors going around that there is talks for one of the two,but nothing confirmed et.it would make sense since Frisco has neither.Preston road was just expanded and is now 6 lanes.There is no reason to use the tollway to get into Frisco.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
Why aren't you looking in Plano?

I would put the Plano school system on parr with Cherry Creek schools. Frisco schools are good but I would put Plano schools and Cheery Creek schools above them.

Have you looked at Coppell as well? and Flowermound? Both of those would have school quality as good as Cherry Creek.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
It's going to be tough on your freshman in high school - changing schools, no friends. Allen ISD has a separate center for 9th graders and then the high school is 10-12th grades. Frisco and Prosper ISD have their 9th graders in the high schools. Plano ISD has their 9-10th graders in high schools and 11-12th graders in senior highs. Either way, it could be rough. I would probably go with a more transient area like Frisco or Prosper over more stable areas like Allen and Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas