Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You are correct re: Tom Hicks.

Do the private patrols respond to 911 calls? Or just keep a watchful eye? I was always under the impression it was more of a crime watch service than an emergency response solution.
They will respond to emergencies via 911. However, in our situation we are asked to call a cell number first. The officer then decides if the call is an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I do

Honestly I think those 10 square blocks should be in with HPISD or with the "HPISD schools"
Texas school districts are "independent" so boundaries can be drawn that make sense, often due to geographic constraints. HPISD's boundaries (inclusive of some city of Dallas and exclusive of some town of HP) fit within two major highways, the Tollroad to the west and 75 to the east. The part of HP that is in DISD is west of the Tollroad. For safety's sake, I don't think HPISD needs to worry about kids crossing the Tollroad to get to school. And the district doesn't have busses. Back when the district boundaries were drawn, there was actually an active railroad where the Tollroad sits today so the "hard" western stop makes perfect logical sense.

I don't know why this irks you so greatly. It's not like owners bought in HP West under the impression HPISD schools were baked info the purchase price. They get to live under HP fire/police/other city services for about 30% less than the house would cost with HPISD schools. No one's getting screwed out of anything.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 AM

64 posts, read 279,185 times
We will go private if the privates will have us. Agree that we will likely end up in UP/HP if we have to go public. Seems like a nice neighborhood but I've heard that a non-white kid may have a hard time in the school system over there in the Park Cities. I don't want my kid to have to deal with that nonsense so would prefer the somewhat artificially inflated diversity that the privates have to offer.

I also like the fact that, in PH, I have a little more privacy given the slightly bigger lots. Old Preston Hollow was definitely too "estate-y" for me (plus I'm sure I can't afford it). We liked "North Dallas" a lot but what kind of crime are we talking about? I'm a bit paranoid about safety.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
We will go private if the privates will have us. Agree that we will likely end up in UP/HP if we have to go public. Seems like a nice neighborhood but I've heard that a non-white kid may have a hard time in the school system over there in the Park Cities. I don't want my kid to have to deal with that nonsense so would prefer the somewhat artificially inflated diversity that the privates have to offer.

I also like the fact that, in PH, I have a little more privacy given the slightly bigger lots. Old Preston Hollow was definitely too "estate-y" for me (plus I'm sure I can't afford it). We liked "North Dallas" a lot but what kind of crime are we talking about? I'm a bit paranoid about safety.
Non-white students are certainly the minority in HP schools, but they certainly aren't outcasts!! I graduated over 10 years ago and in my close circle of friends (whom I'm still friends with today), there are two Chinese and one Muslim folks. One of the most wildly popular kids in my class was Hispanic; his siblings were also well liked (prom king, etc). One of my business associates is Indian / Hindu and has an elementary aged daughter thriving in HP schools.

If you're looking for a critical mass of kids who aren't white, HP isn't for you. But if you're more worried about not fitting in socially, it's a non-issue.

Dallas has some outstanding private schools. If you can get into the elites (St Marks, Hockaday), I wouldn't turn it down!

Re: crime in PH/ North Dallas, mostly petty crime (windows smashed, things stolen from open garages), but there have been some high profile incidents over the past few years: a woman was beaten up & robbed at the Forrest & Preston Whole Foods and her jewelry was stolen. A couple of robberies at gunpoint in driveways. It is generally a very safe area; these incidents get big media exposure because they're rare. I go to a salad place by the Whole Foods at least once a week and NEVER feel unsafe.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Along I-10 in Houston there are parts where kids have to cross the freeway to get to school. What they did is construct bridges so kids can cross the freeway

Like this: Whittier Elementary School, La Crosse Street, Houston, TX - Google Maps

See the attendance boundary for Whittier Elementary in Houston: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/school...WhittierES.pdf

Another example is this one: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=R+P+Ha...106.03,,0,-3.3

It serves R. P. Harris Elementary: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/school...RPHarrisES.pdf

I simply have the belief that communities should (mostly) be within the same school zones. There may be some occasions where it doesn't work out exactly, but I think it could be possible to do that with Highland Park.

Quote:
For safety's sake, I don't think HPISD needs to worry about kids crossing the Tollroad to get to school. And the district doesn't have busses. Back when the district boundaries were drawn, there was actually an active railroad where the Tollroad sits today so the "hard" western stop makes perfect logical sense.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Non-white students are certainly the minority in HP schools, but they certainly aren't outcasts!! I graduated over 10 years ago and in my close circle of friends (whom I'm still friends with today), there are two Chinese and one Muslim folks. One of the most wildly popular kids in my class was Hispanic; his siblings were also well liked (prom king, etc). One of my business associates is Indian / Hindu and has an elementary aged daughter thriving in HP schools..
Yes they are/were so popular that some white students used to dress like them - Google Highland Park "Thug Day" and "Fiesta Day"

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I simply have the belief that communities should (mostly) be within the same school zones. There may be some occasions where it doesn't work out exactly, but I think it could be possible to do that with Highland Park.
Then you have an issue with how the whole state of Texas regulates public schools, allowing them to be "independent" of city borders.

Coppell ISD, modeled closely after HPISD, has parts of Irving/Valley Ranch feeding into the schools. Parts of Plano feed into Frisco, Lewisville, Allen ISDs. Even just looking at West Plano (which is a defined community), it includes Plano, Frisco, and Lewisville schools.

It's 100% impossible for HP to align. Dallas ISD is never going to release those blocks & their tax revenue from DISD. The blocks of Dallas in HPISD are never going to approve a vote to leave HPISD.

The current boundaries of the district make logical sense. It makes ZERO sense to include the 4600 blocks of HP (west of the Tollroad) which would then divide that geographic community (between Tollroad & Inwood) in half. No sense.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM

64 posts, read 279,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes they are/were so popular that some white students used to dress like them - Google Highland Park "Thug Day" and "Fiesta Day"
I'm very disturbed. In what universe can this be considered acceptable???

Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
That's right - you got it

I do believe that, for instance, all of Houston should be in one school district - et al. - The ISD system allows a school district to serve multiple municipalities and/or multiple counties, but I believe that in most cases boundaries should be aligned towards municipal and/or county boundaries, with unincorporated areas divided among the various ISDs

There was a case where residents of Northgate Forest, a subdivision, posted a request to leave Spring ISD and enter Klein ISD. Both Spring and Klein denied the request

I don't think any such realignment actions would work from local voters - it would have to be something from the state legislature

Quote:
Then you have an issue with how the whole state of Texas regulates public schools, allowing them to be "independent" of city borders.

Coppell ISD, modeled closely after HPISD, has parts of Irving/Valley Ranch feeding into the schools. Parts of Plano feed into Frisco, Lewisville, Allen ISDs. Even just looking at West Plano (which is a defined community), it includes Plano, Frisco, and Lewisville schools.

It's 100% impossible for HP to align. Dallas ISD is never going to release those blocks & their tax revenue from DISD. The blocks of Dallas in HPISD are never going to approve a vote to leave HPISD.

The current boundaries of the district make logical sense. It makes ZERO sense to include the 4600 blocks of HP (west of the Tollroad) which would then divide that geographic community (between Tollroad & Inwood) in half. No sense.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm sure you'd rather send OP's kids to your beloved Alma matter with all of it's glorious headlines lately:

Dallas High School Girls Being Hazed In Big Sis-Lil Sis Program | Dallas, Texas Personal Injury Attorney Blog (http://www.montesheraldblog.com/2009/10/dallas-high-school-girls-being-hazed-in-big-sis-lil-sis-program.shtml - broken link)

Ex-teacher at Dallas ISD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas