Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM

64 posts, read 279,263 times

Advertisements

What divides Preston Hollow from North Dallas? Is Preston Hollow a neighborhood within North Dallas? If I do a search for homes in Preston Hollow, I seem to pull up a lot of listings that are in North Dallas. Are property values similar? We drove through both neighborhoods, and liked the feel of both, but wondering whether one has more stable property values than the other. We're on the fence about whether to buy or rent and if we opt for the former, I'd like to ensure that property values are at least stable. Any thoughts?

Strangely, I didn't like Highland Park very much, which seems to be a popular area on this forum. Guess that's a good thing since property values seem higher (per sq ft basis) than in PH/North Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
What divides Preston Hollow from North Dallas? Is Preston Hollow a neighborhood within North Dallas? If I do a search for homes in Preston Hollow, I seem to pull up a lot of listings that are in North Dallas. Are property values similar? We drove through both neighborhoods, and liked the feel of both, but wondering whether one has more stable property values than the other. We're on the fence about whether to buy or rent and if we opt for the former, I'd like to ensure that property values are at least stable. Any thoughts?
Preston Hollow was once it's own independent town. Dallas incorporated it in the 1930's (or around there). The boundaries of the old town are Midway to the west, Northwest Highway to the south, Preston to the east, and Walnut Hill to the north. This is the neighborhood that is now refered to as "Old Preston Hollow" or "the Estate area" of Preston Hollow or simply, "the honeypot." These are the biggest lots and highest price real estate. Also home to quite a few of Dallas' billionaires (Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, etc).

North Dallas is a land area between Midway/Marsh and 75, and south of LBJ-635 but north of the Park Cities. Many different neighborhoods make up "North Dallas" - Jan Mar, Northaven Estates, the Meadows, Melshire Estates, Strait Lane, Hockaday estates, Disney Streets, etc. You will see a lot of real estate listings call these North Dallas neighborhoods "Preston Hollow" to capitalize on the cachet.

Property values are steady and even climbing a bit in this area. It is the second highest value area (median sales price) in DFW area, behind the Park Cities. It is well located to both downtown and Love Field, as well as dozens of the top private schools in Dallas. Hockaday, St Mark's, ESD, Ursuline, Jesuit, etc are all within the North Dallas area. Over half the families choose private - if you have kids, something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
Strangely, I didn't like Highland Park very much, which seems to be a popular area on this forum. Guess that's a good thing since property values seem higher (per sq ft basis) than in PH/North Dallas.
The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) are so highly priced due two main reasons:
1. Highland Park ISD - hands down, best public school system in the state and a top 30 nationally ranked public high school. It's basically like taxpayer funded private schools. 85% of high school upperclassmen take AP (college level) classes, far more than any other DFW public school. If you have kids, I would reconsider HPISD as it will save you $15-25k per child per year in tuition.

2. City services of Town of HP and City of UP- they are basically a "concierge" service.
*You can ask them to haul away bulk trash at request (vs waiting until the 4th week of the month in Preston HOllow/ North Dallas, which have City of Dallas services).
*Your alarm system is hooked up straight to the police dept. There is NO crime whatsoever (other than a bit of stupid, left my LV bag in my unlocked car kind of crime) vs Preston HOllow/ North Dallas where there definitely is more crime and less patrol (or homewoner paid extra patrol).
*Call 911 and someone will be there in 2 minutes or less. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Try waiting for a Dallas PD to come see your broken into car.......

Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,382 times
I drove there and looked at a few homes in both PH and UP/HP. TC is right.

The main difference I noted was the feel and the schools. You will be paying for private if you go to PH (more than likely) and that will put a dent to your budget. Might as well go to Park Cities.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,924 times
In my opinion,if your budget is about $800,000 plus there is no better option for a suburb in Texas than Highland Park/University Park

Last edited by CREW747; 11-10-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
The real estate agents have 'expanded the boundaries'. I believe that Preston Hollow has a higher income than the Park Cities and it's a lot more private. You don't really have to get into the silly pissing contests in which some Parkies participate. There are good public school options but of course "some people" would look down their noses at them...minorities oh the horror...

Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Preston Hollow was once it's own independent town. Dallas incorporated it in the 1930's (or around there). The boundaries of the old town are Midway to the west, Northwest Highway to the south, Preston to the east, and Walnut Hill to the north. This is the neighborhood that is now refered to as "Old Preston Hollow" or "the Estate area" of Preston Hollow or simply, "the honeypot." These are the biggest lots and highest price real estate. Also home to quite a few of Dallas' billionaires (Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, etc).

North Dallas is a land area between Midway/Marsh and 75, and south of LBJ-635 but north of the Park Cities. Many different neighborhoods make up "North Dallas" - Jan Mar, Northaven Estates, the Meadows, Melshire Estates, Strait Lane, Hockaday estates, Disney Streets, etc. You will see a lot of real estate listings call these North Dallas neighborhoods "Preston Hollow" to capitalize on the cachet.

Property values are steady and even climbing a bit in this area. It is the second highest value area (median sales price) in DFW area, behind the Park Cities. It is well located to both downtown and Love Field, as well as dozens of the top private schools in Dallas. Hockaday, St Mark's, ESD, Ursuline, Jesuit, etc are all within the North Dallas area. Over half the families choose private - if you have kids, something to think about.

The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) are so highly priced due two main reasons:
1. Highland Park ISD - hands down, best public school system in the state and a top 30 nationally ranked public high school. It's basically like taxpayer funded private schools. 85% of high school upperclassmen take AP (college level) classes, far more than any other DFW public school. If you have kids, I would reconsider HPISD as it will save you $15-25k per child per year in tuition.

2. City services of Town of HP and City of UP- they are basically a "concierge" service.
*You can ask them to haul away bulk trash at request (vs waiting until the 4th week of the month in Preston HOllow/ North Dallas, which have City of Dallas services).
*Your alarm system is hooked up straight to the police dept. There is NO crime whatsoever (other than a bit of stupid, left my LV bag in my unlocked car kind of crime) vs Preston HOllow/ North Dallas where there definitely is more crime and less patrol (or homewoner paid extra patrol).
*Call 911 and someone will be there in 2 minutes or less. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Try waiting for a Dallas PD to come see your broken into car.......

Minor quibbles:
1. Almost every home in PH is served by some sort of private enhanced security. Like off duty Dallas LEOs in squad cars.

2. The spirit of your outline of OPH is correct but Tom Hicks' estate is just north of Walnut Hill.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Minor quibbles:
1. Almost every home in PH is served by some sort of private enhanced security. Like off duty Dallas LEOs in squad cars.

2. The spirit of your outline of OPH is correct but Tom Hicks' estate is just north of Walnut Hill.
You are correct re: Tom Hicks.

Do the private patrols respond to 911 calls? Or just keep a watchful eye? I was always under the impression it was more of a crime watch service than an emergency response solution.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times
HPISD also covers a little bit of Dallas. But some of Highland Park is actually in DISD

Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
HPISD also covers a little bit of Dallas. But some of Highland Park is actually in DISD
Yes, thanks for pointing out those 10 square blocks that don't line up........

Don't you live in Houston?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, thanks for pointing out those 10 square blocks that don't line up........

Don't you live in Houston?
I do

Honestly I think those 10 square blocks should be in with HPISD or with the "HPISD schools"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas