Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,539 times

Advertisements

You know, since I've been prepping for a move to DFW for some time now - the one constant that I've read over and over on city-data is "traffic".

Yes, traffic there can be bad, but it is by no means that bad. I think Chicago traffic is MUCH worse than Dallas traffic. Dallas traffic is moderate, in my opinion.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Heck, even Austin traffic is worse than Dallas traffic. Dallasites complain about traffic, but they really have no idea. Is traffic bad? Sure, but no where near as bad as it could be or is compared w/ other cities, some smaller and some larger.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
I think the traffic in DFW is much better than other large populated areas like LA, NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and D.C.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Heck, even Austin traffic is worse than Dallas traffic. Dallasites complain about traffic, but they really have no idea. Is traffic bad? Sure, but no where near as bad as it could be or is compared w/ other cities, some smaller and some larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I think the traffic in DFW is much better than other large populated areas like LA, NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and D.C.
I agree on both counts. Most cities I've been in have much worse traffic problems than Dallas does. I think most of the people that complain about Dallas traffic just have never experienced commuting in another big city. Some "big cities" I've lived in call a two lane street a "major highway," and expect it to be able to handle all the traffic.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Dallas is much better than most MSAs because there are many ways to get to a location and most main surfaces streets are three or more lanes.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Quote:
Heck, even Austin traffic is worse than Dallas traffic. Dallasites complain about traffic, but they really have no idea.
I'm sure practically everyone knows this. That doesn't mean we can't complain, it is an inconvenience after all.

Quote:
Is traffic bad? Sure, but no where near as bad as it could be or is compared w/ other cities, some smaller and some larger.
I know there are people without shoes, but I'm still going to complain that mine are starting to fall apart on me.

The whole "stop complaining, it's worse somewhere else" argument never pans out because we all do it about everything.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I agree on both counts. Most cities I've been in have much worse traffic problems than Dallas does. I think most of the people that complain about Dallas traffic just have never experienced commuting in another big city. Some "big cities" I've lived in call a two lane street a "major highway," and expect it to be able to handle all the traffic.
I second this opinion.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I usually point out "traffic" because a home 20 miles north of downtown ISN'T a 20-30 minute commute into downtown. People tend to totally dismiss traffic's affect on quality of life when they see a brand new 4000sf McMansion within their budget for the first time in their life. Yup, you can get a brand new huge home for $175k in DFW, but don't complain when you hate your 2 hours a day commute to downtown from Little Elm or Melissa or wherever.

It's not bad like LA but give it 10 years and it will be if DFW continues it's growth spurt.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
You know, since I've been prepping for a move to DFW for some time now - the one constant that I've read over and over on city-data is "traffic".

Yes, traffic there can be bad, but it is by no means that bad. I think Chicago traffic is MUCH worse than Dallas traffic. Dallas traffic is moderate, in my opinion.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
I haven't experienced anything in all my visits that blew my mind like some of the people here claim..But I just assumed I was missing the traffic for one reason or another. I don't know what to believe at times..A friend of my brother, who lives in Southlake works from home constantly because the commute to Plano is allegedly horrid.

I tend to lean more towards what people say here when I get that kind of validation from people outside this board. When I move down I will be doing my best to play it safe in terms of commute due to the traffic. But a 40 minute commute to me isn't the end of the world to be quite honest. I do it now and it's not a major detrimental factor to our lifestyle. Anything more than that would be pushing it.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
FWIW, I find Metroplex DRIVERS to be the worst I've encountered (and I've lived in Chicago, Boston, New York City and Portland Oregon), but as far as the actual traffic, I think those first three cities are far worse. For example, when I take 635 from the DNT to the airport, the 4 miles or so to I-35E are really bad, but beyond that it's wide open until just before the airport. In Chicago, going from downtown to the airport is 14 miles or so of really bad all the way out.

Everybody warned me about how terrible 635 was, and I'm sure east of DNT it's really awful during rush hour, but again, overall not as bad as other cities. The Metroplex is all car culture (something like LA), but because it's so spread out you don't have the traffic density of other major metro areas.

Just my opinion, which is worth what you're paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas