Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 07:39 AM

53 posts, read 86,559 times

Advertisements

We currently own a specialty retail shop abroad, but are moving back to the States. One of the places we are considering is Dallas (among other TX cities) due, in part, to the low tax burden for businesses and the good economy. We would be interested in buying a business or starting one up; I am more open-minded about what type we could run, but my husband would like to continue with the same type of business we already have.

I know that Dallas is something of a shopping mecca and I know that location is everything (this goes without saying!). I was hoping that some small-business owners here might be willing to give us a general idea of what it is like to run a small business in Dallas or its suburbs. How easy is to deal with the local government? How easy is it to find reliable employees? Are you able to attract both new and repeat customers? Do you find it useful to join business development groups?

I realize that the answers to these questions will vary widely depending on personal experience and business type. That's fine -- I'm just trying to find a few local voices to help us paint a better picture.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
The Dallas area is huge and your questions will vary depending on the location. Each city has it's own planning department with their own ordinances and zoning. Almost all of the cities have some sort of Economic Development office but they vary in what they offer.

As far as finding employees that will entirely depend on the type of business you have - are they dependent on public transportation? Not all cities in the area have bus service available and even those that do, don't have it in all locations or at all times. Do you hire college kids to work in your business - then proximity to schools matters.

Even the Chambers of Commerce vary from city to city. Some are much more leadership development focused and less business focused. Some are just places for realtors, insurance agents and direct sales folks to network and have a good time. Some do a fantastic job of marketing local business - especially restaurants and local retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas