Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 29,070 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with Darling Home builders in the N. Dallas area? We are considering a Darling Home. The pricing works out to $142 sq ft. but may not be directly comparable to other builders because of the differing options. I suppose the most important opinions I like to hear would relate to Darling Homes' reputation, quality and cost-to-value. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 AM

77 posts, read 340,655 times
We just built and bought a new home. We considered Darling as I like their homes and from what I've found, they have a good reputation as a builder. The price was higher for Darling and I suppose some of that can be justified but I think $142 sq ft is on the high side. We looked at Star Creek in Allen and the neighborhood has a nice feel to it but I didn't think it warranted the higher price compared to some of the other areas that have similiar size lots and homes.

One piece of advice, I wouldn't recommend falling into the trap of using their mortgage company. They throw incentives at you to make it sound more appealing but in the end, they make up for it by over charging you in other areas.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,393,654 times
Darling has an excellent reputation in the Metroplex. However, you will pay more for a Darling.

$142 a sq/ft sounds really high though.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 48,080 times
Hi Rack,

Just curious if you purchased the Darling home ?

We are very seriously considering making an offer on an existing Darling inventory spec home in Star Creek in Allen.

The home has been on market for about 10 months and we are trying to determine how much we can negotiate on the price ? It's currently listing for $600K (4380 sq ft) which is also around $140/sq ft. which seems high considering the economic climate, etc..

Anyone else have any experience in negotiating w/ Darling Homes ?

Thanks in advance for help.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM

24 posts, read 111,166 times
I am an EXTREMELY happy Darling home-owner. I am around $158.00 per square and that includes a little more than a 1/4 acre on a corner greenbelt lot which was expensive. Part of the high cost, also, is because it is a front entry 3 car garage ranch with a ton of extras. 2 stories are always less per square. Easier to go up than out.

I had experiences with 2 other builders over the years and both were a nightmare. This was the best experience ever from beginning to end. You need to know that all builders have to deal with sub-contractors who make mistakes and our home was no exception...BUT.... Darling ALWAYS took care of issues no questions asked, no matter the cost. Never said no. The finish out was exemplary and helped justified the cost.

You can find great looking homes with a lot of square feet for less but you will get what you pay for.

Peace of mind is worth a lot to me. Also, there have been some warranty issues (to be expected, especially with a semi-custom home) but, once again, no hassles. They even have taken care of some issues AFTER the warranty expired.

This is one first class builder that is worth the money.

Last edited by gamsite; 01-08-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 48,080 times
thanks for the response. Our experience has also been extremely positive w/ Darling Homes. they are very helpful (and have lots of patience !).

We're going to try and get at least 20% discount on the price. I know that's a lot but think they may be willing to negotiate considering everything going on w/ economy.

Otherwise we may end up building from scratch if we're not able to get a great deal on the inventory home.

thanks again for reply.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM

269 posts, read 910,880 times
I don't know much about buying one ... but I look at nearly every model home I can ... and Darling Homes are easily my favorite. Next time I build ... it's Darling no question.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times
My inlaws are going on 20 years in their Darling home in Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney. It has been an excellent home, has worn well over the years. I think it is worth the extra $$ as the quality has paid off in the long run.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandet View Post
thanks for the response. Our experience has also been extremely positive w/ Darling Homes. they are very helpful (and have lots of patience !).

We're going to try and get at least 20% discount on the price. I know that's a lot but think they may be willing to negotiate considering everything going on w/ economy.

Otherwise we may end up building from scratch if we're not able to get a great deal on the inventory home.

thanks again for reply.
All the best in your effort to save some dollars, but being in the car business, I can tell you that when numbers are down and businesses are suffering, it doesn't make all that much sense to lose even more money.

I am sure they will give you a good deal, but 20% in the Dallas market which isn't suffering as bad as the rest of the country and never had that much overinflation in prices to begin with seems a bit much.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 111,166 times
20% will be a reach. Their margins are VERY thin right now. They will offer you the best deal they can but do not try to compare their prices with "similar" homes from a different builder. Similar does not equate to "same". You will get what you pay for with Darling....and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas