U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,378,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
PlanoGirl has done a good job of listing some of what you'll find in SBR. However, there are many developments in McKinney that offer the same type of feel the SBR does, but with lower HOA fees. With a budget of $250k, I'd say 50-60% of homes in Mckinney are in your price range. Here's a home that I believe just sold, just down the street from me.

Moderator cut: RE listings/addresses/links from any source cannot be posted within the forums - Send info by DM only
McKOwnr brings up a great point. SBR is nice, but there are many other great developments in the area too. HOA fees are high, and might not be worth it if you don't take full advantage of the amenities. I have two small children as well, so I get where you are coming from with that. The Beach Club is great, and the kids DO love going to it, but as we have a pool in our backyard, we probably only go a handful of times each summer. The events the HOA put on are also great, but to be honest, we find ourselves going to city-sponsored events much more often. (We love events all the events on the square!) Or we frequent events specific to our village (bunco, happy hour, picnic) that have nothing to do with the HOA...just friendly neighbors hosting something.

Some of the neighborhoods a little further east (as McKOwnr suggested) might be better for you commute-wise as it would be faster to get to 75. There are some beautiful neighborhoods over there too. We really like SBR, but depending on what we decide for our kids' education (we are considering a new IB charter school that opens next fall), we may move little further east to one of these neighborhood in a few years. It would be closer to the school, and have the added benefit of being 5 min to the square and right by the gorgeous Wilson Creek trail.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-13-2012 at 11:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,507,793 times
If you would like to have close access to 75 check out Eldorado in Mc kinney as well.The subdivision is along Elldorado country club .We checked it out at Christmas time.Each street had a different Christmas theme...it was really nice.If you are going to spend over $200,000 in Mc Kinney that is a good spot.If you are ok with the Mc Kinney isd & the lot sizes it is a fantastic choice ( still think it wouldn't be wise to spend anywhere near $500,00 there but since your top is $250,000 it would be a good fit) The $220,000 ish price range would be a pretty safe investment in a subdivision like Stonebridge or Eldorado...

Last edited by CREW747; 11-19-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,689,401 times
Eddins (SBR), Walker Elementary(Eldorado/Hardin/Virginia area) & Boyd HS were selected as NCEA higher performing schools, of which only 10% of the schools in the State comprise.

As for McKinney areas w/ large lots...check the Mallard Lakes, Bluffs of Winding Creek, Clifton Park and some great deals in the Hillside/Winding Creek subdivisions all within the Walker Elementary zone.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 9,884 times
Default Stonebridge Ranch home with yard/pool

This is a great thread about McKinney and specifically Stonebridge Ranch. We've enjoyed our time here and teh great family friendly neighborhood. Moderator cut: no ads, only in Classifieds forum
Stonebridge Ranch is just a nice place to raise a family.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-13-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM

812 posts, read 2,063,961 times
I lived in Stonebridge Ranch, off Ridge in a cheap Highland Home's home. I once belonged to Stonebridge Country Club. Stonebridge is a great area. Eldorado has the curse of being by Eldorado Parkway and 75. Pretty area with a lot of trees.
Traffic Nightmare. Can't believe the city allowed so much development without road improvements. Also Eldorado Country Club floods because it's in a low lands area.
I'm sure things will get better with the improvements to 75, in the next 35 years.

OK I can be negative, folks.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
I lived in Stonebridge Ranch, off Ridge in a cheap Highland Home's home. I once belonged to Stonebridge Country Club. Stonebridge is a great area. Eldorado has the curse of being by Eldorado Parkway and 75. Pretty area with a lot of trees.
Traffic Nightmare. Can't believe the city allowed so much development without road improvements. Also Eldorado Country Club floods because it's in a low lands area.
I'm sure things will get better with the improvements to 75, in the next 35 years.

OK I can be negative, folks.
Can't remember where you live now, ggolf, but if you drive along Eldorado, you'll see they are currently widening all the intersections (at Hardin, Lake Forest, Ridge, Stonebridge, etc). Should help with the traffic flow along that road....fingers crossed!

Oh, just realized that you might have been talking about 75! Well, agreed...traffic nightmare there too. Should be MUCH better when they finish widening it. Personally, I don't think the city really waited too long to start improvements...Mckinney is only 30% developed after all. You can only really widen roads when you have the money from your tax base to support it....or, if you are talking about highways etc, when the Almighty TXDOT deems its the right time, LOL!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM

812 posts, read 2,063,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Can't remember where you live now, ggolf, but if you drive along Eldorado, you'll see they are currently widening all the intersections (at Hardin, Lake Forest, Ridge, Stonebridge, etc). Should help with the traffic flow along that road....fingers crossed!

Oh, just realized that you might have been talking about 75! Well, agreed...traffic nightmare there too. Should be MUCH better when they finish widening it. Personally, I don't think the city really waited too long to start improvements...Mckinney is only 30% developed after all. You can only really widen roads when you have the money from your tax base to support it....or, if you are talking about highways etc, when the Almighty TXDOT deems its the right time, LOL!

I was referring to the exit from 75 southbound to Eldo westbound. That light about 100 yards west of 75, yikes! With all the newish retail to the north, well we stopped going to our favorite Chinese restaurant, Imperial Garden on Eldo. And yes, 75 is a mess. I'm sure it will be better when widened from Melissa to Sam Rayburn. With construction ending in 20 years. How long did it take to finish 380 and 75? 5 years?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM

574 posts, read 1,568,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
2) Mckinney isd does "bus"...i.e. they try to avoid the rich school/poor school thing by zoning to encourage socioecomon=mic diversity in their schools. Some people see this as a bad thing...personally I think it is a good thing. Just do research on what schools the house you are interested in is zoned to. None of the school commutes are unreasonable...the example Crew gave above is only a 5 minutes drive...but ya know, it's on the east (gasp!) side. As a point of reference, I had to drive 10-15 minutes to my junior high/high school in Richardson, and they didn't "bus". So, things are always as they seem.
OP,

No matter where you choose to buy you need to closely check out the school system as busing from one district to another is becoming more common. It is unfortunate that those with the power to change things choose to take the busing route instead of improve the schools in the other areas. It is also interesting since your school taxes are handled using the "Robin Hood" system and money can easily be shifted from one school to another. What you need to be careful about is not only what your chosen school district is doing now but also what they plan to do in the future. Nothing buying your home in your chosen school district just to have in a year, two, or three, your kids bussed to a slum area school in the name of "socioeconomic diversity". Your property taxes sure won't be reduced when your kids are bussed out!

As for SBR I've worked in some of those homes and they are nothing different quality wise than other builders and locations. They look pretty but so does a pig with enough lipstick! Be very careful what you buy there, or anywhere in this area!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
OP,

No matter where you choose to buy you need to closely check out the school system as busing from one district to another is becoming more common. It is unfortunate that those with the power to change things choose to take the busing route instead of improve the schools in the other areas. It is also interesting since your school taxes are handled using the "Robin Hood" system and money can easily be shifted from one school to another. What you need to be careful about is not only what your chosen school district is doing now but also what they plan to do in the future. Nothing buying your home in your chosen school district just to have in a year, two, or three, your kids bussed to a slum area school in the name of "socioeconomic diversity". Your property taxes sure won't be reduced when your kids are bussed out!

As for SBR I've worked in some of those homes and they are nothing different quality wise than other builders and locations. They look pretty but so does a pig with enough lipstick! Be very careful what you buy there, or anywhere in this area!
No offense, but you don't know what you are taking out. That's not the kind of "busing" that was being referred to here...kids aren't move from one district to another. It's is just how the ONE district chooses to map out it's zoning boundaries to its secondary schools. And it's not like it's as dramatic as you make it sound. You can easily look at the attendance maps to see how it's is laid out. The elementary schools are all geographically zoned..i.e. feed by the surrounding neighborhood(s). The high school have contiguous zoning boundaries...not really any different than Plano (another 3 high school district) if you compare maps, except Mckinney's runs east/west and Plano's runs north/south. It's only the middle school zoning that is a little choppy...and that really has more to do with the patchy nature of where neighborhood development have occurred than anything else. All it be expected in a developing area. And it has nothing to do with the performance of the schools...there are some schools in great areas that don't perform that well, and ones in low income area that flourish. This is all info which you can find out online before you choose to buy in a specific neighborhood. Does re-zoning happen? Sure. Hell, Plano just re-zoned (was it last year?) and they are like 95% built out. No one is completely immune...but in a developing area it is a given. That is always a risk you take in newer areas. But again, do your research...look at the history of the district zoning and the future plans, contact the schools/district and ask questions, etc...then make an informed decision. It's not hard...just takes some time.

As far as quality of homes in SBR...SBR is made up of over 30 neighborhoods, many with more than one builder. I couldn't begin to guess how many builders are represented just within Stonebridge, but off of my head I can think of at least 10, and that's not including the custom builds. So the quality of the home construction is too builder-specific to categorize for the whole area...a Darling home in SBR will be the same quality as a Darling home anywhere else...no better, no worse. Now, if your gripe is just with the overall crap that today's builders in general are producing, well, you've got a point there. But that is not SBR specific.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 9,884 times
We have enjoyed Stonebridge Ranch. We live in the LaCima neighborhood - all of them are great. The association does a great job of "beautifying" the area with the crepe myrtles and landscaping. The neighborhoods are very family friendly with bike / walking paths and many parks for family use. The schools usually have a park adjacent which is nice when the kids get out of school to play for awhile. I believe all of the K-5 are set up to be walkable for the neighborhood kids. There are 3 middle schools and 3 high schools-all very good. Stonebridge Ranch association also has the community beach club which is a pool but with sand, sloping sides so it's like a beach. They also have the tennis club there, plus the aquatic center. Also there are several events throughout the year giving it a community old time feel.
You will typically get a LOT of house for your money here compared to other parts of the country.
In some areas the houses are close so you just have to look around and see if you can find a premium lot.
Moderator cut: (1) No advertising and (2) RE listings/addresses/links from any source cannot be posted within the forums - Send info by DM only

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-13-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas