Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
^^^Yeah, but I wouldnt give Oak Cliff a second thought if schools and kids are in the question.

Young and single, sure its a fun area.
That's a shame because Rosemont Elementary is one of the crown jewels of Dallas ISD!! It has a VERY active Early Childhood PTA which has raised gobs of private funding for the school. It also has great test scores, an estemmed dual language program, a wonderful arts (dance, art & music) program (which are VERY difficult to find in public schools these days due to budget cuts & TAKS test focus.....this one is mainly funded by the EC-PTA), and a state-of-the-art campus for K-2 that was built in the last 10 years. 3-5 is at a second campus in the neighborhood. It is a VERY sought after public school, on par with East Dallas' Lakewood or Jackson elementary.

Does this sound like your "typical" DISD school?!
Art
Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Michelangelo, and Marc Chagall are just a few of the masters who inspire our young artists. Every student at the Rosemont Schools has twelve to eighteen weeks of instruction in elements, techniques, mediums, and art history. Classes are also an opportunity to reinforce concepts in math, social studies, language arts, and science. Budding artists’ work includes fiber art, drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture or relief sculpture, and 2-D or 3-D work. At the lower campus, projects may be driven by a particular artist, a medium, or a technique; holidays and culture celebrations may also shape projects. Art history connections with world history are a major component in the curriculum at the upper campus.

Music
All upper campus students take music and delve deeper into fundamentals and voice training, with field trips to music venues such as the Dallas Opera and the House of Blues. These students have the opportunity to participate in an after school choir and a spring contest, as well as performances and a winter show. Keyboard and recorder classes are also offered.

Here are more links if OP is interested:
Home (http://www.rosemontschools.org/index.htm - broken link)
RECPTA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:54 PM

92 posts, read 162,492 times
I lived in San Antonio for three long years, but I am glad to be in the Dallas area again. Although S.A's city population is larger than Dallas, San Antonio has a much smaller feel to it. The thing that frustrated me the most about San Antonio was it's lack of diversity (People, grocery options, non big-box stores and restaurants). It seemed that if you needed access to anything out of the ordinary in S.A., you would have to travel to Alamo Heights or the airport area to find it. Dallas has better accessibilty to most things. Traffic in both places can be pretty bad, but DFW is definitely worse. The previous suggestion of looking at Richardson is a good one. Richardson is diverse, good schools, homes under 200k (older), public transportation (has three rail stops for commuting to west end if needed), ethnic shopping and restaurant options. I hope that providing some of the differences in between the two cities from some that has lived in both, helps you with your decision. If you have any specific questions please feel free to pm me.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Where can you get a decent place in a safe neighborhood with good public schools for "under $100k" in Dallas right now? Show me. Like, post some listings.
We're having dinner on Thursday at 5pm TC. You're invited. Highland Meadows. Admission is $89K.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
We're having dinner on Thursday at 5pm TC. You're invited. Highland Meadows. Admission is $89K.
Honest question- there is a lot more crime in Highland Meadows than other parts of the LH area, right? The Dallas PD map tends to look that way for Jan-Nov 2011:
City Of Dallas (http://dallas.dfwmaps.com/crimenew/ - broken link)

I have spent a lot of time in LH over the years and the look & feel of the area definitely makes a big change around Jupiter, both north & south of Northwest Hwy.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Come on, seriously? I guess in those 3 years in Plano, you didn't happen to stumble upon a single park? Funny, I lived in Plano for over 20 years and have been to a multitude of them. (Even worked for Parks and Rec growing up.) Or the Plano Rec Center, which just recently got new additions and renovated. That thing has been there since I was a kid, and was one of the best public rec centers in the country.

Trees? My parents bought their house in 85/86 and there were two 10 ft trees out front. Now, they are about 30 ft, and the neighbor's tree even dwarfs that. Or how about McKinney, where I live? It's only been around since 1850, you don't think there are any mature trees up here??? Or the old downtown square (with plenty of pubs and restaurants with character, btw.)

I've lived in Uptown for 6 years as well, so I know what Dallas is about also. You're giving an obviously very biased opinion (with a lot of false information to boot) to the OP, which isn't very helpful.
I'll stand by my comments about the Plano parks. Park Hopping has been a foundational past-time in my life. When we got to P* I drove to every green space on the map. There was one with a big outdoor amphitheater and not a soul about. I tried to like that one on 14th with the little train thing and the pseudo-urban neighborhood but my beagle rolled in human defecation and that kinda ruined it. Woodruff? I think I tried that too - can't remember it - oh well, forgettable I guess. I do remember trying to enjoy one of those trails. So hot and unshaded my dog just kept sitting down. I will say around Legacy is pretty nice if tiny and far removed.

I'm a practiced connoisseur of great parks. Regrettably, I advise similarly minded folks I did not find quality parks in Plano. But go ahead - post your pix of the fabulous parks of Plano. I'll be open minded. Maybe I missed something. I'd like to see what I missed.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-22-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Honest question- there is a lot more crime in Highland Meadows than other parts of the LH area, right? The Dallas PD map tends to look that way for Jan-Nov 2011:
City Of Dallas (http://dallas.dfwmaps.com/crimenew/ - broken link)

I have spent a lot of time in LH over the years and the look & feel of the area definitely makes a big change around Jupiter, both north & south of Northwest Hwy.
I looked at one of those crime maps before we moved here and I noted a big empty spot in Highland Meadows. There has been something of a recent crime wave reported here as well as Lakewood. It doesn't feel crimey. There are a few apartment complexes that are a bit seedy. I see a few zombies and hoods around there but they seem to stay there and not float around the generally nice part of the neighborhood. The commercial strips - NWH, Garland Road, those are kinda seedy. A lot of pawn shops and junkyards. That part of Garland is pretty poor. It all okay though. A little gritty. I like a little gritty. Too much padding makes me feel disconnected.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I looked at one of those crime maps before we moved here and I noted a big empty spot in Highland Meadows. There has been something of a recent crime wave reported here as well as Lakewood. It doesn't feel crimey. There are a few apartment complexes that are a bit seedy. I see a few zombies and hoods around there but they seem to stay there and not float around the generally nice part of the neighborhood. The commercial strips - NWH, Garland Road, those are kinda seedy. A lot of pawn shops and junkyards. That part of Garland is pretty poor. It all okay though. A little gritty. I like a little gritty. Too much padding makes me feel disconnected.
Thanks. I've driven by a lot (used to worship the old Loehman's @ Jupiter & Northwest Highway before it closed) in years past and always wondered. Most of my LH friends live/d off Audelia just north of Northwest Hwy & not as far east as you are. Glad you like it & you moved in from the boondocks!!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
They have a rip-off of the Boston Gardens in Plano? Complete with swan boats???

Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
The city of Irving is served by Coppell ISD (all exemplary schools), the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD (hit & miss, good and bad) and Irving ISD. Much of the Irving ISD has schools I wouldn't want to use. But there are exceptions in the Irving ISD and there are also some highly rated charter schools (free! and you child can attend the same small campus K-12.) There is the new Infinity Prep charter school that is part of the Uplift franchise (whose schools are typcially exemplary rated K-12, and the great thing is you can live anywhere and attend), there is also the cherished North Hills charter school, about 75 applicants for each spot. South Irving has some nice older areas with great trees near parks at moderate housing prices ( zip 75060) (rentals 900-1300) and a very good commute to W. Dallas. Elliott Elementary is Recognized and the neighborhoods that serve Elliott also feed into Lamar Middle -- also a recognized school. Even more highly rated in North Irving (houses cost more) in the Valley Ranch section (zip 75063) (rentals in houses are hard, but expect to pay $1500-2500) all the housing on the west side of MacArthur Blvd. are served by Coppell Schools. Bet you could find rentals in either of the areas..... many don't advertise on the MLS sites but you could find them on zillow or padmapper or craigslist.

Last edited by Squirl; 11-22-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:

I'm a practiced connoisseur of great parks. Regrettably, I advise similarly minded folks I did not find quality parks in Plano. But go ahead - post your pix of the fabulous parks of Plano. I'll be open minded. Maybe I missed something.
Yes, I'd say you missed something... like the point of the thread and this particular forum. Moderator cut: orphaned

I don't have pictures of parks from the suburbs, sorry. I could probably google some, but I don't care enough to convince you. You've got a few members besides me here saying that there are great parks in the suburbs, and that is all the OP (and any reasonable person) needs.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-22-2011 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: post pics referred to have been removed - report this type of thing in the future, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas