Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
You are in DALLAS...not BEVERLY HILLS or NEWPORT BEACH.

I don't think most Texans care about you driving a luxury car.
You've obviously never spent much time in Dallas.

Bentleys are common, Ferraris less common, but seen, Lambos common. They love their Astons. I've seen housewives rolling in Rolls convertibles.

Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus (the LS 460L especially) are quite common in Dallas and blend in.

I'd say Beverly Hills and Highland Park are running neck and neck in terms of austerity.

Do I need a luxury car- No. I drive an old AMG, depreciated by 80%, but still has 469 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque for the price of a Honda Fit.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-23-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
I know I would. I'm 25 and just leased a Mercedes. Incidentally, I'm planning on moving back to Dallas. Do you feel like there's social pressure in certain circles to drive a luxury vehicle in Dallas?
I hope it was a luxury Mercedes, like an SL55 AMG, not some cheap C or E class. It's likely not even enough in those certain circles that you think of. You probably have to go exotic.

Because no-one is going to be impressed by a middle-class Mercedes, which just blends into the masses on the highways.

To the contrary, driving a generic Mercedes immediately brands you a 30k millionaire if you are in your 20s.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
I'm not sure how much my vehicle is worth, depends if it is filled with fuel or not.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
*chortle* As I've stated, we're looking at houses in Southlake, Colleyville, Double Oak and Flower Mound (I have admitted that Park Cities is Out Of My Price Range, however, so we can't buy ANYWHERE, but we're doing fine overall).

As also previosuly stated elsewhere, I drive a '99 Corolla. My wife....drives a '94 Prizm. That we bought in 2005 for a whopping $2,500. (The things run forever, and that's how long we plan to drive them).

THBS, I have noticed that there are a LOT of C Class Mercedes, 3-class BMW's and smaller Lexuseseseses (Lexi?) about, so yes, I'll agree that (in addition to the people who buy the nicer, larger cars), there are likely a bunch of people in DFW who buy (or more likely lease, like our 25 year old who started this thread) entry-level "luxury" brands as a way to "fit in" or show off or "not look like a loser" or whatever the heck people think they're accomplishing with such a car.

My personal opinion is that if you're leasing a car (or buying much of anything, really) to try to impress random other people, you should stop and reassess your priorities. But to each their own. And although I'm perfectly happy with my choice of cars, I am leery of living in a location where I'll hear about it all the time in an unflattering way, if only because it gets tiring constantly thinking "Must.Control.Fist.Of.Death"

Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
I would feel like a loser for getting ripped off even more for car servicing just because the car is "luxury" ...

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
I know I would. I'm 25 and just leased a Mercedes. Incidentally, I'm planning on moving back to Dallas. Do you feel like there's social pressure in certain circles to drive a luxury vehicle in Dallas?
Dude, get a car because you like it not so you can fit in with some pretentious social circle. I seriously could not care less what someone drives much less what someone thinks of what I drive.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Sure, sure. Don't listen to all these mature, secure naysayers. You need at least a Mercedes to just get a parking spot. And when it comes to picking up chicks -- no self-respecting hooker would jump into anything less.

Meanwhile I will probably look out the window of the train as it passes the stopped Mercedei, etc., on jammed Central or 635, and smile.

Kid -- if you want to score with the hot chicks -- get a bike.

A bicycle, that is.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
There's usually only one reason why a 20 something year old man would be so desperate to get a luxury car...taking a wild guess here...to impress the ladies...going back in time to my single days, "parking lot pimping" is a LOT easier to do in a 5 series than in a '99 Kia...the problem is that when you're a young guy with hormones gushing, you typically don't stop to realize that if flashing a luxury car is the only way a girl would have any interest in you, then you really need to focus on making YOURSELF more interesting rather than piling up material things...but that's a lesson I think the OP will learn the hard way, just like the rest of us.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
I have a 4x4 F150.

I hate cars and this is why.........
1. you cant haul anything...try and pull a boat with a car. lol
2. your way to close to the ground and cant see over people in front of you
3. Trucks are much safer for my daughter because if a car hits me they go under me.
4. Way more room in my truck than most cars
5. I can drive in the snow, mud, grass very easily and dont ever get stuck with my 4x4
6. I can jump a curb or any other obstacle that a car cant get over.

And buying a Mercedes to fit in is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. You have got to be kidding. And if your not then you must be young and dumb.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I have a 4x4 F150.

I hate cars and this is why.........
1. you cant haul anything
2. your way to close to the ground and cant see over people in front of you
3. Trucks are much safer for my daughter because if a car hits me they go under me.
4. Way more room in my truck than most cars
5. I can drive in the snow, mud, grass very easily and dont ever get stuck with my 4x4
6. I can jump a curb or any other obstacle that a car cant get over.

And buying a Mercedes to fit in is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. You have got to be kidding. And if your not then you must be young and dumb.

when I was in college at TCU, the pick up trucks were the most popular vehicles by far...yet I'm pretty sure most of those kids never hauled anything in their lives...well maybe a kegger or two for the parties...that's why I always chuckle when I see the ads and they keep hollering about being able to haul lumber or whatever...most folks I know dont haul anything!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas