Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 07:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
I know I would. I'm 25 and just leased a Mercedes.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...ry/yes/421.gif

Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
I know I would. I'm 25 and just leased a Mercedes. Incidentally, I'm planning on moving back to Dallas. Do you feel like there's social pressure in certain circles to drive a luxury vehicle in Dallas?
Uh, NO. I' am a 27 year-old college student who walks almost everyday at Arbor Hills Preserve in the western section of Plano and I don't feel that way, despite the fact that most of the cars that are parked there on any given day are MUCH more expensive than my '06 Hyundai Sonata (that has a cracked windshield if I might add).

The fact that most of the people there that I see are driving high-end vehicles like a BMW 7-series or other cars such as a Mercedes S-Class or a Porsche Turbo 911 doesn't bother or affect me at all. I'; am the stereotypuical poor "ramen noodle" for dinner college student and I don't ever let the rich people of W. Plano get to me. All I focus on is my workout.

To be honest you though, most of the rich people here are MUCH nicer than were I used to live (San Diego), so I have yet to have a bad experience here in Dallas just because of what I drive. The social pressure does exist here, but only if you let it affect you. Cheers, Newbe10.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM

308 posts, read 638,117 times
Quote:
I know I would. I'm 25 and just leased a Mercedes. Incidentally, I'm planning on moving back to Dallas. Do you feel like there's social pressure in certain circles to drive a luxury vehicle in Dallas?
You've got more important issues to deal with than what kind of car you drive.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
I had a 1990 Honda CRX Si, best college car ever, got like 40 mpg and was quick and darty. It was a great ride. The lack of A/C would be a liability in Dallas I'd imagine.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
But you need the C-class in case you gotta hit Addison. And some of the folks do work.

I just sold a townhouse in West Village. I lived there for years.

And don't get me started on what type of cars pull into the Ritz's Rattlesnake.
We do just find here in Uptown in my wife's Buick and my Ford...including hanging out in Addison....FYI, Addison PD doesn't have a sense of humor. They threatened to arrest me for my questionable driving in my slightly Supercharged Ford...they were just jealous

Anyhow, I will say it's entertaining to watch some guy in a Ferrari racing red light to red light while you're tooling around behind him doing 30mph lol

Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We do just find here in Uptown in my wife's Buick and my Ford...including hanging out in Addison....FYI, Addison PD doesn't have a sense of humor. They threatened to arrest me for my questionable driving in my slightly Supercharged Ford...they were just jealous

Anyhow, I will say it's entertaining to watch some guy in a Ferrari racing red light to red light while you're tooling around behind him doing 30mph lol
LOL! That sure sounds like the Addison Police! Addison is similar to Malibu, CA in that they only seem to stop those who don't drive $100,000+ cars on Addison city streets. I live just a mile down the road from Addison and everytime I drive through there and see someone pulled over, it is more often than not someone who is driving a regular car like mine. Oh well; what ever floats there boat!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I had a 1990 Honda CRX Si, best college car ever, got like 40 mpg and was quick and darty. It was a great ride. The lack of A/C would be a liability in Dallas I'd imagine.
I sure wish my Hyundai got that kind of milage! Maybe I will trade it in for a Honda next year.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I sure wish my Hyundai got that kind of milage! Maybe I will trade it in for a Honda next year.
Not being funny, but it was a great car. Weighed like 1800 lbs like a Lotus with a very direct shift linkage. If you've ever tracked a car, it didn't have a ton of power but with the handling you could maintain momentum easily.

I had the hotrod Si version dropping 108hp. But they had an HF model that got like 50mpg. It makes you wonder why you'd need a hybrid if you could just cut weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you feel like a loser without a luxury car?-1991_honda_civic_crx_crx_si-pic-7627.jpeg  

Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
The only luxury car in my crowd is a Ford F-350 with a Crew Cab. Wanna go ridin' cowboy?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post

Spoiler

Ahhhh...one of my favorite topics. For the life of me I will never understand people's obsession with luxury cars. Sure if you've got the extra money laying around and cars are your passion indulge. But cars are the worst investment you could make. I rather put that money towards retirement or real estate.

Having married a most practical man, we only buy new cars that are reasonably priced and can be paid in cash... we will drive those to the ground. I'm on my 3rd car since '91. Do I feel funny living in the Park Cities tooling around in my CRV? Nope. Even my husband's staff has always driven fancier cars than we do.

I don't need a car to make me feel accomplished or successful. Our house is fully paid for, I work because I want to, and hubby could retire tomorrow if he wanted...that is what makes me feel accomplished after 20+ years of frugal spending.

P.S.
I've lived in Boston, ATL, and Dallas. The "need" to impress with a luxury car is very strong in the South. I never saw as many new, fancy cars as when I moved to the ATL, and now DFW.
You should try spending some time in the 'Ile de la Cite' and surrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas