Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,106 times

Advertisements

We will coming to Dallas next year on april! We are an european family with 1 kid and our family friends with 2 kids.
We will be interested to rent a house in north part of Dallas together with our friends, europeans also. We will coming here with DV Lottery, that means we'll have permanent residence in US.
My question is if our choice to coming here it's good? I heard that part of north Dallas is best safe place for kids and schools?
We need to rent a house with about $1400/m. 4 - 5 bedrooms because we will stay together *(2 families with kids / 4 adults and 3 kids) Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Congrats on winning the lottery.

For 7 persons, you will likely have to look at a 5 bedroom home or if 2 of the kids are close enough in age and same sex, they may be able to share a room. Your $1400 budget is very tight. If you stretch it to $1600 you'll be in nicer areas with a larger home. Is that an option?

Naima

Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 AM

50 posts, read 95,058 times
Congratulations! I have co-workers who got their visas through lottery as well. It will be a huge culture shock, at least it was for me when I made the oversees trip. But you will love the lifestyle.
Do you have a job yet? Your residence will depend where you will be working, you don't want to travel too far.
My suggestions for that budget is Mckinney. Their housing is very reasonable priced and it is nice.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
I know some people will not let 2 families live in one home. I do not allow it in any of my rental properties. Only those listed on the lease are able to live in the home......

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks you all for encouragement.
Yes, Mckinney is one on the list, what about Frisco or Little Elm?

About "some people will not let 2 families live in one home", if our family has more than 4 members, what kind of house we can find to rent?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 AM

jobs! Not yet.
We'll search when we arrived there!
I'm photographer, i know Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some basic Flash, also Access, excel. But God Knows what kind of job I will find.
Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
You REALLY need to find jobs before deciding where to live. The DFW area is larger than some entire European countries and some of the suburbs you're asking about (McKinney, Frisco, Little Elm) are at the far northeast corner of a 600 square mile metro area. There is NO public transportation (bus, rail, etc) in McKinney/ Frisco/ Little Elm, so you will 110% need a car (multiple cars for your 2 family household) if you live there. You'll also have to drive 2+ hours each day (and possibly pay up to $6-8/day in tolls) if you find a job in/near downtown Dallas and you've already rented in McKinney.

Your housing budget is not high enough to get you a 4-5br home in a safe area with good schools. If your job situations work out to where you can live in outer suburbs like McKinney, then, yes the suggestion of raising your budget by a few hundred dollars will help. If your job/car situation dictates that you need to live closer in to the city, you'll need $2,000++ for rent to find a big enough home in safe area / good schools.

Congrats though & best of luck on your US adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas