Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM

59 posts, read 170,641 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments.

Synch - I have friends who have multiple viewpoints. Like you said, just don't want to feel like a fish out of water in a new place. At least not more than is expected just by being " new."

Greyday - you crack me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I guess it depends on how you define Conservative? Do you mean following/believing all the teachings of the Church?

I know that is so off-topic, but I hate to see any misconceptions floating around

OP--please don't take this as me telling you what to do/judging you. I have no idea what your situation is and wish you the best regardless.
LOL, this thread has sure taken a turn! I actually said I was a conservative, Catholic. Meaning two adjectives, not a conservative Catholic. I meant pollitically conservative.

Yes, you are right about the common misunderstandings.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Synch - I have friends who have multiple viewpoints. Like you said, just don't want to feel like a fish out of water in a new place. At least not more than is expected just by being " new."
I was figuring as much, and as noted, I'm dealing with being a bit out of my normal comfort zone now, although the drivers here are more of an issue than any politics. Oh, that and the fact that it's DRESSING, not STUFFING.

It also throws me when people ask if we've found a church yet (yes, at least 3 people have so far). As a not-very-religious unconfirmed Catholic whose paternal grandparents were Jewish Holocaust Survivors, married to an occasional practicing Buddhist who was raised Greek Orthodox...well, what can I do but shrug my shoulders and say "er, not yet".

Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I was figuring as much, and as noted, I'm dealing with being a bit out of my normal comfort zone now, although the drivers here are more of an issue than any politics. Oh, that and the fact that it's DRESSING, not STUFFING.

It also throws me when people ask if we've found a church yet (yes, at least 3 people have so far). As a not-very-religious unconfirmed Catholic whose paternal grandparents were Jewish Holocaust Survivors, married to an occasional practicing Buddhist who was raised Greek Orthodox...well, what can I do but shrug my shoulders and say "er, not yet".
Too funny, I had the dressing/stuffing convo myself today.
I can see how that is kind-of an inappropriate question for you. Just know it is harmless. Asking if you have found a Church is a common Southern question. It is harmless really, like asking if you had a good day. I would actually be surprised if half those people didn't invite you to their Church. We Southerners can be a little too friendly sometimes!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,351 times
Not to be picky, but annulment and divorce are two totally different things.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Not to be picky, but annulment and divorce are two totally different things.
Yes, divorce is legal. Annulments (as in this case) are through the Church. You have to have a divorce to file for an annulment. However, it is a separate issue, and a divorce does not guarantee an annulment.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Asheville or Charlotte are southern......(beautiful)
Jacksonville, FL is southern (ocean)
Little Rock, AK is southern (beautiful) also, conservative w/Universities....
Fort Collins, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Salt Lake City
Provo
Portland.....

lots of better places!
FL - gangs and hurricanes.
AK - Did not know LR was in AK. But it snows too much there. And the winter is too dreary.
AR - Little Rock is not too bad. But DFW is far more interesting.
CO - Snow. FC and CS are too small. Outside of CS, see Portland comment below.
UT - Snow. Too Small. Touristy. Can be very insular.
Portland - Just walk around Portland with a "I Heart Bush" T shirt on. Really.

If I walked around Portland in my dress blues, I'd get food thrown on me. In TX, I get lunch paid for. At least in Santa Cruz they thought I was just a weird Goth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Hell, I'm not sure Conservative Catholics of any economic level are welcomed here!
Jesuit and Cistercian are two fabulous Catholic schools - along with many others in DFW and the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If I had that budget, and didn't need employment, I'd buy an estate in the Hill Country!! NO WAY would I want to be in the traffic, smog and high property taxes of the city when I didn't need to be there!
Did not know Llano was Catholic? Most of the Catholic congregations outside of the major cities are poor, Hispanic immigrants. The remaining population are rural, white, southern democrats. A single mom with money will not get any air under her wings there.

I think TC80 has the best advice. Find a realtor in lakewood and another in the park cities and look around. You might want to rent a home for six months in those areas to give yourself time to look around. A realtor should be able to help you there, too.

Last edited by TX75007; 11-29-2011 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I think TC80 has the best advice. Find a realtor in lakewood and another in the park cities and look around. You might want to rent a home for six months in those areas to give yourself time to look around. A realtor should be able to help you there, too.
What about Preston Hollow and North Dallas? Are those areas I should be exploring?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
Quote:
It also throws me when people ask if we've found a church yet (yes, at least 3 people have so far).
HA! That buged me too.(but it was have you found your chuch home yet!)
I never heard it in Houston, but Houston is not as Evangelical as DFW. Also the Baptist are big on asking everyone new! Ithink they get points or something for bringing the numbers in!

We learned never say no.(they will send cards and invites and phone calls etc for you to visit thier church) My husband is Catholic and that usually ends it. If you say yes, (but don't reall go to church often) make sure you have a name...because the next question will be Where?
If you realy want to put end to the conversation etc... tell them you are Pentecostal!! they will forever give you a wide path!

I view religion a very personal subject same with politics, I don't go up to people and ask them who they voted for etc

Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,351 times
"What church do you go to?" is a common subject of small talk here. It's very weird if you're not from the Bible Belt. The first time someone asked me I was all *blink blink*. It would never happen in a workplace setting where I'm from (Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas