Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,629,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
Flower Mound -rural? Huh. Only compared to Dallas IMO. Both FM and Marcus are great schools. South FM is great for easier access to 121. We're on the north side of town (actually behind Bridlewood in Double Oak). I like every part of FM except some of the central parts around Lamar MS and Forestwood MS.
How do you like Double Oak? We've looked at some places there and it generally appeals to me (we're sticking to the Lewisville ISD). I like the prevalence of larger (many one acre) lots. Feel free to message me if you'd prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM

94 posts, read 304,202 times
Just an opinion....Leasing a 5500sq ft home in Bridlewood (Coventry) - backs up to the aforementioned Double Oak.... have been here a year now and will be buying a home in the 1st qtr of 2012..... will be staying in the LISD, so in play for us are parts of Double Oak, Highland Village and Flower Mound, but only those areas west of 2499 / Long Prairie.... why, you may wonder?

In no particular order: homes east of LP/2499 seem to be "dated", and from our drives throughout the area over the last 12 months, they seem to be on smaller lots, etc.... that area of FM is much more commercialized..... the proximity to Lewisville and it's commercial/lower socioeconomic areas.... conversely, the areas west of 2499 appeal to us because: Larger homes on larger lots in many of the developments, more "country" feel (horses, cattle, lamas donkeys and even emus), active HOAs, many subdivisions have numerous schools and "amenity centers" located through out their boundaries, loads of quality shopping alternatives, lots of activities for the kids and families.... and.... great schools.... we like the area and, as you noted, there are a lot of homes for sale from $400k to $800k... we have looked at 8-10 homes over the last month that were empty because the owner relo'd and did not sell the home prior to their move date (been there, done that)... many of those homes started out at around $135/sq ft and are now at about $120/sq ft.... my take is the real value of them (updated, pools, 1/3+acre lots, etc) is nearer to $110/sq ft.... the longer the owner has to cover double housing costs, the more open they likely are to working a great deal, so they can cut their loss and get on with their life.... good luck in your search.... it is a great area and you will enjoy it

Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,530,400 times
Quote:
In no particular order: homes east of LP/2499 seem to be "dated", and from our drives throughout the area over the last 12 months, they seem to be on smaller lots, etc.... that area of FM is much more commercialized..... the proximity to Lewisville and it's commercial/lower socioeconomic areas.... conversely, the areas west of 2499 appeal to us because: Larger homes on larger lots in many of the developments, more "country" feel (horses, cattle, lamas donkeys and even emus), active HOAs, many subdivisions have numerous schools and "amenity centers" located through out their boundaries, loads of quality shopping alternatives, lots of activities for the kids and families.... and.... great schools....
Pretty much this...I don't think the east half of Flower Mound is in any way "bad." However, if Flower Mound ever does go downhill, the eastern half will definitely go first, while the western half might be spared by the reasons mentioned above. Just seems like a better investment, I guess.

Again, all my personal opinion.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM

443 posts, read 1,562,454 times
I tend to agree with the assessment of east side of Flower Mound. The lots are too small and too expensive, with pockets of that side of town falling into disrepair. There are some great neighborhoods on that side as well. I think as long as they feed into Flower Mound schools your values will be ok. I'm not real sure how the east side of Flower Mound can be classified as country anymore than Hebron, but that's just me I guess. The west side of Flower Mound is certainly undeveloped, but the central portion of the city is as developed as anywhere else. The Highland Village suggestion was a good one, The Shores is an outstanding development that stands out with the lakeside views and the hills.

Btw, until the economy improves I'm not sure there is anywhere that your value is protected. There are multiple foreclosures and short sales occurring in almost every neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,918,484 times
Jeez are you guys sensitive about my "rural" comment, or what? We entered FM via 3040.........to US, it seems very rural. We absolutely did not like it, looked at 2 homes, in unkempt neighborhoods, and left. LOL you guys act like it's an insult or something. Some people happen to like that country look, we don't. No big deal. If there are other parts of FM that look more suburban, I apologize but we didn't see anything that made us want to look further. It's all a personal choice, not a putdown.

And our home is not near Hebron, we're actually about 5 miles into Carrollton from it.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,917 times
Default Location Location

TXbound2011 east vs west usually breaks down to price point you are considering. If you want FM high School then you will need to be West of 2499 and South of 1171(Crosstimbers) which is zip code 75022. These are all excellent areas and are generally bigger lots than 75028. Once you narrow to that area, price will dictate either newer (built early 2000's) with smaller lots, older (built 1990ish) with bigger lots or best but more expensive newer with acre lots. The current master plan for the town in general allows for larger lots the further west you go which in turn equals higher price. Really no areas to "avoid" just depends on which flavor you prefer. Moderator cut: no solicitation or real-estate site links allowed Good luck with your move and welcome to FloMo.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-29-2011 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: See DM

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 8,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMohomes View Post
TXbound2011 east vs west usually breaks down to price point you are considering. If you want FM high School then you will need to be West of 2499 and South of 1171(Crosstimbers) which is zip code 75022. These are all excellent areas and are generally bigger lots than 75028. Once you narrow to that area, price will dictate either newer (built early 2000's) with smaller lots, older (built 1990ish) with bigger lots or best but more expensive newer with acre lots. The current master plan for the town in general allows for larger lots the further west you go which in turn equals higher price. Really no areas to "avoid" just depends on which flavor you prefer. Moderator cut: no solicitation or real-estate site links allowed Good luck with your move and welcome to FloMo.
Just an FYI 75027 also feeds into FM HS.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,400,178 times
Ah...and so it begins. It's always fascinating to watch the growth and evolution of a town. First it used to be "everywhere in FM is great! Just go where you like and enjoy!"...and now slowly but surely we are starting to see the initial subtle differences...now it's "Everywhere in FM is great BUT...stay on the west side...Not that anything is WRONG with the east side of course"...I'll bet my next paycheck that in 5 years time it's going to be "WEST FM is great, but East FM is a hell hole that you need to stay away from if you value the lives of your wife and kids"...then it eventually becomes..."Unless you are filthy rich with a million bucks to spend on West FM (the only nice part of FM), move on up to Lantana/Double Oak/Insert newer boomburg here...

This is exactly the same path Plano took, so I'll be watching FM with interest over the next few years...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM

62 posts, read 210,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Ah...and so it begins. It's always fascinating to watch the growth and evolution of a town. First it used to be "everywhere in FM is great! Just go where you like and enjoy!"...and now slowly but surely we are starting to see the initial subtle differences...now it's "Everywhere in FM is great BUT...stay on the west side...Not that anything is WRONG with the east side of course"...I'll bet my next paycheck that in 5 years time it's going to be "WEST FM is great, but East FM is a hell hole that you need to stay away from if you value the lives of your wife and kids"...then it eventually becomes..."Unless you are filthy rich with a million bucks to spend on West FM (the only nice part of FM), move on up to Lantana/Double Oak/Insert newer boomburg here...

This is exactly the same path Plano took, so I'll be watching FM with interest over the next few years...
...and McKinney and Frisco too. Apparently the west side is the best side .

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,713,909 times
What's the commute time from West Flo Mo to DFW Airport?

My spouse and I drove through the east side of FM and noticed that while the neighborhood looked pretty and well tended, the lots were extremely small and somewhat McMansion like. We'd prefer something more rural, but we must be within a half hour of the airport.

We also noticed there were 3 Toll Brother's developments planned for the area, we couldn't figure out how to get to their showroom. Has anyone looked into those developments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas