U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM

55 posts, read 133,951 times

Advertisements

I may want to have a stall selling baked goods at a farmers market this spring (2012). Can anyone tell me which farmers market in the Dallas - Fort Worth area is busiest (most customers)?

I went to the downtown Dallas market a few weekends ago and it was very quiet (granted, it was November). I guess that is another question - is the downtown Dallas one busy in the spring/summer? They have the food hall (shed 2) which is where my stand would be.

Basically, I would like your opinion of which market(s) would be best for a baked good stand.

Open to FW area as well.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,655,650 times
You should check out Deep Ellum Outdoor Market, Harwood Street Market (new) at the Farmer's Market, White Rock Local Market.

Are you baking out of a commercial food service space? Or are you participating in the new Texas Cottage Food Law?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,169,859 times
I also was going to suggest the Deep Ellum one. We were there during Zombie Fest 2011 and it was quite brisk, although pretty small. Not too many food offerings, though, so baked goods would probably be a nice addition. It's not every weekend, though. Good luck, wherever you choose!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM

578 posts, read 1,322,354 times
I have been a little disappointed in the Dallas Farmers Market. Seems there is a high number of produce resellers there, and the quality of the fruits and veggies can be hit or miss. For the most part you will see stand after stand after stand selling the same mix of fruits and veggies. I am used to markets with a little more variety and definitely no two vendors selling the same stuff side by side.

Your baked goods food stall would most likely be in Shed 2, which is an indoor space for specialty food vendors. The shed always look about 50% capacity...that alone would make me cautious. If traffic was superb I would expect a waiting list for that space. I have visited in early summer and fall. There always seems to be a lot of traffic outdoors where the resellers are, and at the flower shed.

I hope to visit the White Rock market soon. You should visit all the markets you are interested in to check it out. I also think there are more markets like in Grapevine, Plano, etc. A google search should bring up more markets.

Best of luck to you! I love farmers and craft markets and have always wanted to have a stand. Good for you for taking the plunge.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM

3,465 posts, read 5,586,904 times
Quote:
I have been a little disappointed in the Dallas Farmers Market. Seems there is a high number of produce resellers there, and the quality of the fruits and veggies can be hit or miss. For the most part you will see stand after stand after stand selling the same mix of fruits and veggies.
Same here...plus most seem to be the same stuff you buy at the grocery store, just at inflated prices. Almost nothing was locally grown or organic.

I think Coppell has a good farmers market too. Most are shutting down soon for the winter, though.

You might look into this place:

Urban Acres

Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM

55 posts, read 133,951 times
Thanks so much for the quick responses. Will review all tonight after the kids go to bed. Yes - will cook in a licensed commercial kitchen and will have all food licenses, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,182,300 times
99% of the people at farmers markets are dealers.

They go over to a wholesaler, buy it, then take it over to their stall at the farmers market.

Your best bet is to find a farmer in the area and go to their place and buy it there.

There are a number in the area.

Rehoboth Ranch - Home

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,203,333 times
You may be looking to stay a little further south, but the one in Mckinney's Chestnut Square is always pretty busy. There is one other baked goods vendor there (sells breads mostly), and they always seem to sell out early...so I'd think another similar vendor would be a plus.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 AM

34 posts, read 133,725 times
What about the one in Rockwall? It's not an all-day event, but while they're open it seems like there's plenty of foot traffic the whole time, especially when the weather is nice (spring/summer).

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,262,491 times
The White Rock Market is great, but only once a month (I think). I would not do the Dallas Farmers Market - Shed 2. It is deathfully quiet in there, even on busy Spring weekends. In DFW, I am not sure you could make much of a living only doing Farmers Markets.

Good luck! Baked goods are always welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or