Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,913 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to relocate to Dallas from Europe. I have a Bachelor Of Business Administration ( BBA) in Information Technology (IT) and have been working for big Software firm for many years , in the SW field.

I have a 2 and a half year old son and I feel , I would be able to handle my family life better if I can work 4- 5 hours a day everyday. My husband is in the same line and plans to continue his work full time.

What opportunities would I have and in which area of Dallas and DFW? I am also willing to do something different from my current field- except cleaning.

Looking forward to your replies!

Anna

Last edited by annaanna; 11-30-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Anna, I get the sense that English is not your first language. (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your post is displaying some grammatical errors that I notice right off the bat, having minored in English myself.)

I think you'd have far more luck pursuing a job on the IT side than with English, but the IT field has taken a beating in this country, and TX is no exception. There used to be quite a few IT jobs in Dallas and the 75 Corridor, but I know there have been a lot of layoffs the past few years.

Hopefully someone with some more insight with the IT job market will chime in. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,913 times
Hi McKinney,
Thanks for your reply.
You are right- English is not my mother tongue.
I just typed quickly and did not expect that what I wrote was being so carefully scanned for grammatical errors! I have tried to edit my post to fix those- do lemme (or should I say "let me") know if some still exist...
To others- I am writing to get help and advice and we need not be English pros to communicate.
Hoping to get lots of suggestions for my "part time work" question..
Best Regards

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Hi Anna,
I think that you may be able to find something in your field but not before next year , some companies are having some difficulties right now and some lay off may come soon if the situation does't get better . We should know a little bit more by February or March.
You will find also that child care is very expensive here and that can also be an issue with a part time job. I'm also from Europe and having English as a second language is not a problem in search of a job .
Good luck in your move.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM

690 posts, read 1,728,588 times
There are still IT jobs in the tele-comm corridor, especially for software development. Dallas all the way up to Frisco. That is if you choose to stay on the Dallas side. On the Fort worth side some IT jobs require government security clearance. Check the national job boards such as Dice, Monster, Career Builder and the Texas workforce commission for jobs you may qualify for.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Most part-time jobs are usually retail sales, restaurant waitstaff, etc. Professional part-time positions are very difficult to find. Most companies only hire full-time for their professional staff. Healthcare uses a lot of part-time employees, but those are nurses, therapists, etc., not IT.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
It's hard enough to find a software development job that's only 40 hours per week. The only people I've ever known who only worked 20-30 hours per week in this field were people who have been with a company for a very long time and were going to retire otherwise. I wish there were more part time positions in IT in general. I'd certainly take the pay cut for one. But I don't think they're out there.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Do you and your husband have work visas?

I thought people CAME with jobs if they had work visas?

Sorry if this is hostile but I don't really support immigrants who come w/o proper documentation and want to work--there are enough Americans who can't find jobs

If you DO have work visas then I appologize for misconstruing the situation

IF you have work visas and you want to do part time work--you might consider contract work
many companies especially smaller ones are contracting out work to people who work from home--
no benefits except you can organize your time/work flow with perhaps more flexibility that a job where you go into the office

IF you could do that and work on weekends mainly when your husband was home or work around your child you MIGHT could stay home and do w/o day care--which is very expensive and can be difficult to find a child care provider who is willing to take a child on a part-time schedule...

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
She said in another post that her husband is getting an H1B from his employer. This visa does NOT allow the spouse to work. So, the discussion is a moot point.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
This is every mother's ideal, and it's nearly impossible to find. Employers aren't really interested in working with people in this way, it presents challenges for them that full-time employees don't. In the end, in a soft market for talent, I'd say you have a very low probability of getting a job like this.

And if your DH has an H1B, you are going to find it nearly impossible to get a permit to work, honestly. A student visa would be easier...you could always use this time to expand your resume that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas