Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 AM

87 posts, read 277,757 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.. I need some HELP! I have been reading many posts and find great advice by the community.. My situation is unique and i need some input from local Texans!!

I have been living in the Philadelphia metro area for the last 15 years. The public schools here in delaware are horrible. One kid in 1st grade and another starting soon. I need to move somewhere where schools are good and i can stay put for next 10 years.

I used to live in Plano for about a year in late 90s.. I hear lot of good stuff about Plano and Frisco. If I move I would like to live either in Plano or Frisco area. Based on school, house price, nice malls, clean suburban atmosphere, my own familiarity about the area etc. For now, I think these two are good choices. (Am I right?)

The issue:

After living in the northeast our family is very used to snow, lots of trees, mountains, beaches (delaware has some really good beaches), and being close to multiple cities like NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore. All just an hour or so away. I cannot decide between DFW area (in particular Plano or Frisco) and saying staying in the Northeast for example New Hampshire / Boston area..

1. Should I move to Dallas area?
Please provide input based on your knowledge and experience, as well as considering some facts about me.

2. Would you strongly recommend moving to Dallas and why?
3. Are DFW area public schools really better? (For example I am paying $8k/yr for one kid in private school and still the class size is 28, which I think sucks)
4. Taxes - on a 300k home how much you pay?
5. area wise - is dallas area really diverse, tolerant, cool and affluent compared to say Boston? Will I miss the northeast or will I get used to Texas soon?

here are some facts about my personal likings - The way I see it (for now):

Northeast or NH
Pros - Snow outside your window in winter!!, possible white christmas, Beaches in just over an hour, liberal in general..
cons - expensive homes, crappy looking architecture

(DFW) TX
pros - Amazing homes for the price, great architecture, open floor plan, good schools
cons - NO snow, NO beaches, no trees(?), no other states nearby, hmm.. too hot(?), snakes(?), rednecks or people who are intolerant(?)

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of these likings and some assumptions.

I am confused.. should i move to Texas?!!! I used to cheer for the cowboys, even after living here in Eagles country for several years! The fact is, I do have favorable opinion about Dallas area, but the question I am asking myself is will I miss the snow? I can go ski in an hour.

Are there any hilly areas in texas near dallas?
Are there any areas with lots of trees like in the north east?
I will give an example - there are many mature trees in our area, several thousand acres of wooded parks and lakes here. I can walk through a pine forest and climb over sand dunes to wonderful beaches in Delaware. (Please note I am not talking about entire northeast, only northern Delaware, and maybe New Hampshire. Not crappy NJ or NY.. )

Anyway two kids in private school here will take close to $17k every year for the next 10 years. I have a home to sell and i can afford a home somewhere below $400k. Maybe the wise thing to do is forget about snow and beaches and give good education for kids(?!)

Thanks a lot!! Tell be about Dallas! Will I feel welcome here?!!!! I hope I have not confused everyone with my long post. I am hoping someone in the same shoes who moved to Texas or other locals who know both areas give input..!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Your situation isn't all that unique. Most of your questions can be answered by using the search function on this website.

1. $300k home will run you about $6-8k in annual property taxes.
2. DFW schools range from world class to sucky. Plano is one of the top public districts; it's main downsize is the sheer size of schools (think graduation classes in the 1,000-1,500 student per grade per school range). Frisco has smaller school, but less good academic results (based on SAT & AP- the best indicators of college prep). It's still in the top third of all DFW schools, but the bottom half of the affluent districts.
3. Dallas is very diverse- the city itself is minority majority- ie, Hispanics are the largest demographic, followed by whites, blacks, and Asians. Many Dallas neighborhoods and suburbs have large enclaves of many different races & cultures, from Koreans to Muslims to Orthodox Jews to El Salvadorians. Not nearly as many Irish & Italians as the big northeastern cities and more Hispanics (typicall Mexico & Latin America vs the island Domenicans/ Cubans/ Puerto Ricans on the east coast) than blacks.
Although large swaths of the metroplex (particularly North Dallas & Collin County) are relatively affluent, other large swaths suffer tremendously economically. Home prices are affordable compared to the northeast, mainly because the DFW area is so big that land isn't very valuable (outside a few select enclaves) and home prices never went up much during the boom.

Closest beach is 2.5 hour flight away in Mexico. Forget it if you want to drive as Texas' best beaches are about 10-12 hours south.

Closest good skiing is a 2 hour flight to Colorado or a 10-12 hour drive to New Mexico (Angel Fire, Taos).

We have trees, but they dont change color brilliantly as yours do.

Relatively little snow and ice.

Very, very hot summers. Think 3+ months where the low temp stays above 75-80 overnight and daily temps can go into the mid 100 range.

Not too many "rednecks" in Dallas. More common in small towns. Not too many scary snakes/bugs either, especially if you live in a highly populated suburb like Plano.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Closest beach is 2.5 hour flight away in Mexico. Forget it if you want to drive as Texas' best beaches are about 10-12 hours south.

You can drive to Galveston in about 6-7 hours, but it isn't the prettiest beach area.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
No snow is a Con? This is a first..I live in the Northeast (MA) visit family in DFW a few times a year and business trips, will more than likely be moving there myself. If you haven't already, I would suggest you get on a plane and visit, especially if topography is a concern for you. It's different, but there are places you could end up in the Metroplex that might remind you of the Northeast. But ultimately those things will be gone, it mainly prairie down there. I find it pretty in it's own right, maybe not as majestic as some of the place in New England, but one can find beauty in all sorts of topography. Keep an open mind..

Its been very helpful for me to have family there so I have been able to spend some time, and think critically..I suggest you do the same before you just consider moving to a place based on what people here in the Northeast are telling you. To be completely honest, most of them are COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to Texas/Texans and Dallas. Lots of stereotypes usually follow any mention of moving down there..Actually in some ways it makes me happy people up here don't know what I know. Cause then they would all want to go too!

It's a great place to settle and raise a family, in that way it will meet your needs.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM

291 posts, read 674,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your situation isn't all that unique. Most of your questions can be answered by using the search function on this website.

1. $300k home will run you about $6-8k in annual property taxes.
2. DFW schools range from world class to sucky. Plano is one of the top public districts; it's main downsize is the sheer size of schools (think graduation classes in the 1,000-1,500 student per grade per school range). Frisco has smaller school, but less good academic results (based on SAT & AP- the best indicators of college prep). It's still in the top third of all DFW schools, but the bottom half of the affluent districts.
3. Dallas is very diverse- the city itself is minority majority- ie, Hispanics are the largest demographic, followed by whites, blacks, and Asians. Many Dallas neighborhoods and suburbs have large enclaves of many different races & cultures, from Koreans to Muslims to Orthodox Jews to El Salvadorians. Not nearly as many Irish & Italians as the big northeastern cities and more Hispanics (typicall Mexico & Latin America vs the island Domenicans/ Cubans/ Puerto Ricans on the east coast) than blacks.
Although large swaths of the metroplex (particularly North Dallas & Collin County) are relatively affluent, other large swaths suffer tremendously economically. Home prices are affordable compared to the northeast, mainly because the DFW area is so big that land isn't very valuable (outside a few select enclaves) and home prices never went up much during the boom.

Closest good skiing is a 2 hour flight to Colorado or a 10-12 hour drive to New Mexico (Angel Fire, Taos).

We have trees, but they dont change color brilliantly as yours do.

Relatively little snow and ice.

Very, very hot summers. Think 3+ months where the low temp stays above 75-80 overnight and daily temps can go into the mid 100 range.

Not too many "rednecks" in Dallas. More common in small towns. Not too many scary snakes/bugs either, especially if you live in a highly populated suburb like Plano.
I'm from the NE (NYC and DC mainly) and do not consider Dallas diverse. I have been here for 4 or 5 years and I do not encounter many minorities outside of Mexicans it seems.

As long as I have been here, I still have not gotten used to the hot weather. Definitely not too many rednecks in Dallas.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
No snow is a Con? This is a first..I live in the Northeast (MA) visit family in DFW a few times a year and business trips, will more than likely be moving there myself. If you haven't already, I would suggest you get on a plane and visit, especially if topography is a concern for you. It's different, but there are places you could end up in the Metroplex that might remind you of the Northeast. But ultimately those things will be gone, it mainly prairie down there. I find it pretty in it's own right, maybe not as majestic as some of the place in New England, but one can find beauty in all sorts of topography. Keep an open mind..

Its been very helpful for me to have family there so I have been able to spend some time, and think critically..I suggest you do the same before you just consider moving to a place based on what people here in the Northeast are telling you. To be completely honest, most of them are COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to Texas/Texans and Dallas. Lots of stereotypes usually follow any mention of moving down there..Actually in some ways it makes me happy people up here don't know what I know. Cause then they would all want to go too!

It's a great place to settle and raise a family, in that way it will meet your needs.
Nice comment. I do have an open mind and want to try out. I am actually thinking to go there for couple of days and drive around. I also lived in plano some 15 years ago, so i know the landscape a bit.. i agree it is beautiful in its own way.. but regarding snow.. we like it! something about looking outside your window and snowed in and going to feed the wild birds, coz they can't find food during snow.. is kinda very northeast and we love it. the biggest concern is can we survive the heat? are there tarantulas running around? my wife got spooked out after reading some post here.. where some guys saw it in his garage.. (maybe an isolated incident) i bet home depot sells repellent.. right? you are absolutely right about the attitude when you tell people here! the homes are majestic and that is a big attraction for us, apart from schools. I mean why do I pay $400k for a house and still live in a modest 2 story, when you can get grand arches and open floor plan and pool for half the price? I guess it must be the snow that is keeping people here huh?!!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
You can drive to Galveston in about 6-7 hours, but it isn't the prettiest beach area.
there is little hope now!! thank God it is not 12 hours.. i can do at least once a month.. but how about surf? are there any surf in beaches in the Gulf? I cannot believe it is still 6 hours.. in the map it looks close.. i mean is texas thaaaaat big? here i can cross 6 states back and forth in that time!!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offmove View Post
there is little hope now!! thank God it is not 12 hours.. i can do at least once a month.. but how about surf? are there any surf in beaches in the Gulf? I cannot believe it is still 6 hours.. in the map it looks close.. i mean is texas thaaaaat big? here i can cross 6 states back and forth in that time!!

No surf to speak of, although *wind* surfing/kayaking is *very* popular at South Padre, which is the best beach in Texas (although Port Aransas is nice too). I haven't been to either in awhile, as we transferred our sun and sand loyalties to the Florida Panhandle. We can make it there in about 15 hours by car, although I've flown the last couple of times. Southwest to Panama City or AA to Pensacola -- watch for good fares!

What's more important to you though -- nicer house, good schools and family environment, or the beach?

If you come -- definitely come with an open mind. It is *different,* and a lot of transplants waste a lot of time and energy (not to mention any opportunity to make friends with the natives) by gritching about how Texas just isn't as wonderful as <<fill in the blank of your home state>>.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offmove View Post
Yes, Texas is really THAT BIG! The DFW area alone is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island. DFW Airport and all of its land is bigger than the island of Manhattan.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
We moved to Texas from Greenwich Ct ( job transfer ) and live it.There are a few suburbs that remind us of he northeast.Treess,large lots,rolling terrain.We looked at them when deciding where to buy a house...

- Southlake
- Highland Village
- University park/ Highland park
- West Flower mound
- Prosper

We ended up in Prosper and are so happy we live here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas