Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Wrong again, our fair poster from Houston.

The MIS/HPMS buildings are in UP; the playing fields (below dark bolder line in below city limits map) fall into HP.

http://www.uptexas.org/images/uploads/upmap.pdf
This was the map I was using as a source:
* http://www.hptx.org/Modules/ShowDocu...x?documentid=3 is the official Highland Park map
** Look carefully at the northeast corner of the map. Inside the dotted red line is the "McCullough Middle School" building

City limits of University Park: http://www.uptexas.org/images/uploads/zoning_map.PDF

But when I did a Google Maps satellite view, it's clear they switched the building location. Even so, AFAIK the boundary is in the same place, and it cuts right through the building. So actually it's in both cities.

Last edited by Vicman; 12-07-2011 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: I realize now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM

96 posts, read 201,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
So you ran across ONE kid who was snooty? It seems like a stretch to get to "all" HP residents from that one kid. Unless you live right there, most adult Dallas residents don't even know where HP ends and UP begins.
yes, i ran across ONE kid that was snooty. and that was my point. SOME in HP apparently are snooty despite protestations. i didn't draw the conclusion that "all" HP peeps are that way.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
TurtleCreek, look at these maps.
* http://www.hptx.org/Modules/ShowDocu...x?documentid=3 is the official Highland Park map
** Look carefully at the northeast corner of the map. Inside the dotted red line is the "McCullough Middle School" building

City limits of University Park: http://www.uptexas.org/images/uploads/zoning_map.PDF

So... does this mean I'm right again?

seriously, i don't know why turtlecreek felt compelled to "correct" the statement. do you get a medal if you know the park cities more intimately than someone else does?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpack View Post
seriously, i don't know why turtlecreek felt compelled to "correct" the statement. do you get a medal if you know the park cities more intimately than someone else does?
Actually I updated the post... It turns out the building switched locations. The building is still partially in HP.

I do think that the attitude displayed in his previous is really inappropriate. It's one thing to correct someone, but I think humility is useful while doing so, yes?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you think all the UP kids are living in $600k homes, you're clueless about HPISD real estate. The MOST expensive homes in HPISD are in UP's Volk Estates- the southeast corner of lovers & Preston. There's a $16M home for sale there right now and several other $20+ homes have closed in the past 5ish years.

Most of the UP homes are $1M+ and most of the newer ones are in the $2-3M range. I think those families can afford an iPod or $200 pair of Tory B flats if they want to buy their kids that stuff.

You're trying to paint UP as a "riff raff" "across the tracks" from HP kind of place and it's just not true.
yeah, and? if you want to pay $600K, do you go to HP or UP? who is in the top 5 wealthiest city/town in texas?

i think you hardly have to be riff-raff for some very wealthy people to feel superior to you if they choose to feel superior.

i know a very dear man who is a college professor. he has a friend who won the nobel prize in physics, applied physics. so there were actually colleagues who would put down his achievements by saying it was "only applied physics, not pure physics."

that's how the world works. you could be the most brilliant, most beautiful, most giving, most kind person in the world. but there always will be someone who will strive to feel better about himself by feeling superior to you. it doesn't mean you aren't absolutely brilliant, beautiful, giving or kind. it's just the way it is.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I have a friend who says, "but you live in University Park" when certain Parkies get a bit snooty...

Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have a friend who says, "but you live in University Park" when certain Parkies get a bit snooty...
Oh the shame. Almost as bad as buying your wife a color grade 'E' diamond vs. 'D'. May as well commit hari kari.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Yes but if you are playing 'the game' you know deep down in your heart it's not the best. And that's what counts in 'the game'.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM

93 posts, read 244,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes but if you are playing 'the game' you know deep down in your heart it's not the best. And that's what counts in 'the game'.
The average home price/income may not be the better of the two, but as TC80 points out, Volk Estates in UP is probably the priciest real estate in Big D.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Basically if you're not in Jerry Jones home off Preston you ARE a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas