Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 33,175 times

Advertisements

Here's another where to live thread.
I have spent days and days on this forum to find a safe and nice place to live.
I am a female in my late 20s. I will be working at UTSW Med ctr.

At first, I considered the uptown. Of course, I did. I thougth that it would be a cool place to stay. But I just couldn't justify spending 1300+ for a tiny studio. I understand it's a happening area of the town, but I don't have to get out everynight to grab a glass of wine or drink. But, I love the idea of being able to walk to a small coffee shop on weekends and grab a quick brunch.

So, I researched some alternatives.

I thought about the newer apartments in medical districts close to UTSW and arts district.

My criteria for my new place is : budget up to $1000 / month

1. newer buildings : energy-efficient. I live in 1600 sq ft 3br house in a city that can be very cold during the winter and hot/humid during the summer. But my power bill rarely goes above $100.

2. walkable in the daytime. It would be nice to have a couple of small cafes around.

3. safe parking area.

This will be my first time living in a city. I have only lived in suburbs.
And I seriously need the help of experts.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,811 times
Dallas Crime spotter:
Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

The area nearby the hospital district is a hit or miss. You may be safer considering the uptown
area irregardless, IMO walk-ability and safety. Uptown would be a five mile distance from the hospital rather than the one
or two mile area around the maple ave.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
More development coming to hospital district area: Two more Maple Avenue apartment deals cooking | Dallas-Fort Worth Commercial Real Estate News - Business News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dallasnow View Post
Here's another where to live thread.
I have spent days and days on this forum to find a safe and nice place to live.
I am a female in my late 20s. I will be working at UTSW Med ctr.

At first, I considered the uptown. Of course, I did. I thougth that it would be a cool place to stay. But I just couldn't justify spending 1300+ for a tiny studio. I understand it's a happening area of the town, but I don't have to get out everynight to grab a glass of wine or drink. But, I love the idea of being able to walk to a small coffee shop on weekends and grab a quick brunch.

So, I researched some alternatives.

I thought about the newer apartments in medical districts close to UTSW and arts district.

My criteria for my new place is : budget up to $1000 / month

1. newer buildings : energy-efficient. I live in 1600 sq ft 3br house in a city that can be very cold during the winter and hot/humid during the summer. But my power bill rarely goes above $100.

2. walkable in the daytime. It would be nice to have a couple of small cafes around.

3. safe parking area.

This will be my first time living in a city. I have only lived in suburbs.
And I seriously need the help of experts.

Thanks.
If you've only lived in suburbs, Dallas, won't be too big of a change for ya. Have fun and Welcome!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,013,787 times
I actually work just across the street from the hospitals and so when looking for an apartment, I, too, looked in the same area. Some of these new Medical District apartments, while very nice, are way too high in cost. Personally, if I was going to pay that much for a place, I'd stay in the Uptown area but only b/c it fits most of your criteria. The price though, that's going to be difficult. You might find some older apartments (don't know price) on Cole Avenue, Travis Street, off Lemmon... you can find older but mostly nice places that aren't as high and maybe a few streets over...but you just have to look. Good luck. I ended up moving just east of Dallas to get the max for my dollar. That works for me now but I understand being new to the city you'll likely want to stay closer to work.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Neither the arts district nor medical district have what you are looking for in terms of parks, cafes or coffee shops within a few blocks walk, etc. Medical district has the added distinction of not being very nice/ safe. Ie, wouldn't walk my dog up & down Harry Hines or Maple at night.

There are apartments bigge than a studio and less than $1300 in the Uptown area. Check out the Knox-Henderson area at the northern end of Uptown. Older but well maintained apartments and condos for rent. Also check along Abbott Street on Highland Park's eastern edge adjacent to Knox-Henderson. Again older, but well maintained. Walking distance to Starbucks, wine bars and casual restaurants, and the absolute cheapest way to live in the most affluent/ nearly zero crime HP enclave. HP even has its own police force. You can find a 1/1 for $900-1,000/mo.

You may also want to check the high rises along Turtle Creek. 21, Turtle Creek North, and the Renaissance all have 1 br's in the $1,000-1,500 range- and that typically includes all bills except cable/Internet. You get a doorman and garage parking, too.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM

That's what I hear a lot about the medical district. I have been reading some reviews on these newer apartments in that area, and many people warned the safety issue.
Thanks for your opinion, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Dallas Crime spotter:
Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

The area nearby the hospital district is a hit or miss. You may be safer considering the uptown
area irregardless, IMO walk-ability and safety. Uptown would be a five mile distance from the hospital rather than the one
or two mile area around the maple ave.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM

You think so? LOL
I am still so excited about this move, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
If you've only lived in suburbs, Dallas, won't be too big of a change for ya. Have fun and Welcome!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:13 PM

My biggest fear is driving in snow and ice.
And I DO know it snows in TEXAS, too!
I am from a snow-free town, so I don't know how to drive in snow.
I feel like I would be better off living in the uptown. But, still debating..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I actually work just across the street from the hospitals and so when looking for an apartment, I, too, looked in the same area. Some of these new Medical District apartments, while very nice, are way too high in cost. Personally, if I was going to pay that much for a place, I'd stay in the Uptown area but only b/c it fits most of your criteria. The price though, that's going to be difficult. You might find some older apartments (don't know price) on Cole Avenue, Travis Street, off Lemmon... you can find older but mostly nice places that aren't as high and maybe a few streets over...but you just have to look. Good luck. I ended up moving just east of Dallas to get the max for my dollar. That works for me now but I understand being new to the city you'll likely want to stay closer to work.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your honest opinion.
I think I would call a realtor in the area and schedult an appt for a day or so.
I bet once I see it physically, I would know where I SHOULD live in.
Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Neither the arts district nor medical district have what you are looking for in terms of parks, cafes or coffee shops within a few blocks walk, etc. Medical district has the added distinction of not being very nice/ safe. Ie, wouldn't walk my dog up & down Harry Hines or Maple at night.

There are apartments bigge than a studio and less than $1300 in the Uptown area. Check out the Knox-Henderson area at the northern end of Uptown. Older but well maintained apartments and condos for rent. Also check along Abbott Street on Highland Park's eastern edge adjacent to Knox-Henderson. Again older, but well maintained. Walking distance to Starbucks, wine bars and casual restaurants, and the absolute cheapest way to live in the most affluent/ nearly zero crime HP enclave. HP even has its own police force. You can find a 1/1 for $900-1,000/mo.

You may also want to check the high rises along Turtle Creek. 21, Turtle Creek North, and the Renaissance all have 1 br's in the $1,000-1,500 range- and that typically includes all bills except cable/Internet. You get a doorman and garage parking, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas