Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 PM

82 posts, read 126,434 times

Advertisements

I have known families who were barely able to afford the Park Cities and it was not a good experience for some of them. I still see deleterious effects years later.

I would not want my children to be in that environment. I prefer a real world education with a little variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabasc View Post
I have known families who were barely able to afford the Park Cities and it was not a good experience for some of them. I still see deleterious effects years later.

I would not want my children to be in that environment. I prefer a real world education with a little variety.
Really? You're in an excellent school system, little to no crime and teachers set high expectations of all the students? Sorry, but compared to kids that go through metal detectors and read outdated texts, it doesn't jibe.

An enterprising kid from the worst school would have no problems with the trade-offs involved in moving from a school where violence or poor facilities ruled to a place where not having the latest Iphone was the biggest worry.

Deleterious effects? If you're still having issues from high school over the age of 20, you need to get over it, they're over you.

Guess it depends on your version of real.

I'd be more worried about my kids getting a great education and learning that your parents' money only matters as long as you're still rocking a varsity jacket.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:17 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,306 times
it's a public school district, nothing exclusive about it all all. anyone who lives in the boundary can attend for free, imagine that. It's not a country club where you have to know someone to get in.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:36 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really? You're in an excellent school system, little to no crime and teachers set high expectations of all the students? Sorry, but compared to kids that go through metal detectors and read outdated texts, it doesn't jibe.

An enterprising kid from the worst school would have no problems with the trade-offs involved in moving from a school where violence or poor facilities ruled to a place where not having the latest Iphone was the biggest worry.

Deleterious effects? If you're still having issues from high school over the age of 20, you need to get over it, they're over you.

Guess it depends on your version of real.

I'd be more worried about my kids getting a great education and learning that your parents' money only matters as long as you're still rocking a varsity jacket.
Adding to GreyDay's comments: Yes, there are issues with being the "poor" person in a school with a higher proportion of entitled (and possibly snotty and cliquish) "rich kids", but in the great continuum of things, that kinda classifies as a "first world problem" (as one of my friends says). Besides, there are countless ways that one can have a cr@ppy high school experience, whether one is at a "good" school or not.

And yes, incidents from high school (or even grade school) can resonate throughout our lives, but after a certain age a bad high school experience shouldn't be fodder for talks with one's therapist.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 AM

574 posts, read 1,477,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post

They probably have the same concerns that I do. I think my kids would have a harder time fitting in, since they come from a middle class background. They would not be able to wear the expensive brands, or take part in the pricey activities that are probably routine for this demographic. They would probably be picked on for this.

on

Every day I am in the carpool line to pick up my daughter then we have to wait about 25 minutes for my 5th grader to get out. I am always surprised to see what these "affluent" kids wear to school: lots of t-shirts, leggings, jeans, sweatshirts, lots of shorts (even now that the weather is cooler). And no not all designer brands. It does not look like Beverly Hills 90210. My daughter, who wears styles mostly from JC Penney, Macy's, Delias and Buffalo Exchange many days looks dressier than a lot of the kids I see pouring out of the middle school. My daughter has never experienced or seen bullying for lack of designer clothing.

I have to admit, though, that some of the activities do add up. It cost $250 when my daughter wanted to cheer (it is a 5-month season and includes a uniform, a sweatshirt she wears most days, nike tennis shoes, socks). She is now doing Winter Guard (another $250...shorter season, less appearances, but valuable training for the high school squad). And she has to do private flute lessons in band ($18 per week for one lesson).

Not sure how these extras compare to other districts since we used to do private school where we came from and everything was included in the tuition.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Every day I am in the carpool line to pick up my daughter then we have to wait about 25 minutes for my 5th grader to get out. I am always surprised to see what these "affluent" kids wear to school: lots of t-shirts, leggings, jeans, sweatshirts, lots of shorts (even now that the weather is cooler). And no not all designer brands. It does not look like Beverly Hills 90210. My daughter, who wears styles mostly from JC Penney, Macy's, Delias and Buffalo Exchange many days looks dressier than a lot of the kids I see pouring out of the middle school. My daughter has never experienced or seen bullying for lack of designer clothing.

I have to admit, though, that some of the activities do add up. It cost $250 when my daughter wanted to cheer (it is a 5-month season and includes a uniform, a sweatshirt she wears most days, nike tennis shoes, socks). She is now doing Winter Guard (another $250...shorter season, less appearances, but valuable training for the high school squad). And she has to do private flute lessons in band ($18 per week for one lesson).

Not sure how these extras compare to other districts since we used to do private school where we came from and everything was included in the tuition.
The kids all seem to have an unofficial uniform consisting of an endless supply of 'HP' athletic shirts. Those can't be that expensive.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:15 PM

574 posts, read 1,477,865 times
Quote:
The kids all seem to have an unofficial uniform consisting of an endless supply of 'HP' athletic shirts. Those can't be that expensive.
Ha ha ha yes! HP athletic shirts or SMU/Longhorn/Baylor/A&M sweatshirts.

Every time we go to HP Village I look around to see if I spot you. Hope your family is enjoying the neighborhood. We were surprised to receive so many Christmas cards and/or homemade gifts from the neighbors. Definitely did not expect that!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM

305 posts, read 476,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Ha ha ha yes! HP athletic shirts or SMU/Longhorn/Baylor/A&M sweatshirts.

Every time we go to HP Village I look around to see if I spot you. Hope your family is enjoying the neighborhood. We were surprised to receive so many Christmas cards and/or homemade gifts from the neighbors. Definitely did not expect that!
Yea we got a bunch of Christmas cards from people we don't know, aren't really neighbors and can't figure out how they know us. New experience...

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
Some school districts (like New York City) actually check to see if the child is really living in the property

Quote:
There have supposedly been investigations where they followed kids homes- this is hearsay however.

Also, you can't rent a studio and send 4 kids to the school either. There's some sort of bedroom to kid ratio.

Buy a spread in PH and a duplex in HP/UP. Rent out 1/2 the duplex. Interesting idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas