Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:06 PM

290 posts, read 385,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
They sent the first couple of bills to my father's old office. That was the registered address. One of the admins figured it out and got in touch with me. I had to fight like hell to get some fees removed. No bill for almost two years.

I called trying to be proactive as well and got the same response.
Hmm, I will call today and double check for myself. My car was registered to my old place in DC, but all mail got forwarded. Unless these particular things don't get forwarded. None the less, I will be checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,068 times
I'm on a trip to TX this weekend and heard about toll roads....where I come from there are no such things...how does it work? I have no idea..thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,558,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Hmm, I will call today and double check for myself. My car was registered to my old place in DC, but all mail got forwarded. Unless these particular things don't get forwarded. None the less, I will be checking.
Just for clarity, the "first couple of bills" we're not sent until almost two years from date of toll use. Long after any mail forwarding timeframe.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 PM

290 posts, read 385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Just for clarity, the "first couple of bills" we're not sent until almost two years from date of toll use. Long after any mail forwarding timeframe.
Were you successful in getting any penalties/fees waived since they didn't send a bill until significantly later? That is crazy to me.. what were they doing in the 2 years it took them to send a bill?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 PM

15 posts, read 22,620 times
I was here for 10 weeks in 2011, went back to Philly and we called about paying any tolls. (Lived downtown the, so didn't rack up many.)they said don't worry about it, probably won't get a bill. Moved here 1 yr. later and never received a bill on the PA plates.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Were you successful in getting any penalties/fees waived since they didn't send a bill until significantly later? That is crazy to me.. what were they doing in the 2 years it took them to send a bill?
I think this probably works like bill collectors selling older (technically non-collectable) bills--
the company who manages the deliquent toll fees probably sold these to another company who added a load of fees for delinquency and hoped to collect from even just a small percentage of owners--

the fact that there was such a long delay (to me) indicates that it was not the Toll Authority--who has been through several ramificantions of management/systems--but probably a 3rd party

Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think this probably works like bill collectors selling older (technically non-collectable) bills--
the company who manages the deliquent toll fees probably sold these to another company who added a load of fees for delinquency and hoped to collect from even just a small percentage of owners--

the fact that there was such a long delay (to me) indicates that it was not the Toll Authority--who has been through several ramificantions of management/systems--but probably a 3rd party
Incorrect. I dealt with the NTTA. The first bill the NTTA sent out to Tennessee was almost two years after the toll use. I had been living in Texas for the same amount of time, and actively called asking if there were tolls for that car.

I was able to negotiate some of the fees off.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM

140 posts, read 154,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Don't try to take care of it before you leave. I heard that they don't have the ability to bill out of state plates, heard it's the "dirty secret" about the toll systems here. In fact, for the few months I was here with my California plates, I never got a bill for the tolls I used. Only when I switched to TX plates did I ever get a bill.

I've checked my credit reports every year and nothing about the tolls when I had my CA plates.
heard the same thing

Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,072,764 times
When I moved back to Texas last year, I didn't get a tollway bill until I switched my plates over to TX plates. You'll be fine because NTTA has no way of tracking out of state tags and making the owners pay. But of course they're not going to tell you that if you call and ask them. It's kind of an "open secret," I guess you could say.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
When I moved back to Texas last year, I didn't get a tollway bill until I switched my plates over to TX plates. You'll be fine because NTTA has no way of tracking out of state tags and making the owners pay. But of course they're not going to tell you that if you call and ask them. It's kind of an "open secret," I guess you could say.
This is not accurate. I know one of our contractor offices in Ohio would get NTTA bills on trucks from Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas