Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM

12 posts, read 39,871 times

Advertisements

So I'll be relocating from FL to TX, work will be in Grand Prairie, I want to keep my commute under 20 minutes, so I guess living in Uptown will be out of question. So I am 27, single, female, I don't mind living in the suburb out of nowhere, as long as it's SAFE!

I've been looking at apts around SOUTH GP (360/I-20) and also some in Irving, but every community I go..i'm told "Don't leave anything in your car, break-ins can happen to anyone".

This is really not what I'm used to back in Orlando, FL. We leave our cars unlocked sometimes and nothing ever happens to it, we're never told such frightening things like ''break-ins can happen to anyone, don't leave anything valuable in the car''. It's my first time hearing these things, repeatedly!

Is crime rate super high or something over here? I went to CrimeReport.com and I've been freaking out with all these crime reports popping up for the areas I'm looking at. Especially the 3 sex offenders in this Apt complex that I thought was decent..

SO I AM hoping you guys can offer me some advices as where or which community is safe to live, i'm hoping to keep the rent under $800 for 1 bedroom. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,452,498 times
It's almost as if the city motto is Take Lock Hide:
http://www.dallascityhall.com/code_c...ckTakeHide.pdf
You might need to retrain yourself.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,164,283 times
You need to lock your car and home everywhere in the Dallas area- not because it's super unsafe but because most crimes that happen here are the ones you can prevent yourself (ie, don't leave your iPod or wallet on the car seat and run back into your apartment for "just a second").

I wouldn't call DFW "unsafe" (though there are safer and less safe neighborhoods around the metroplex), but it's a major metro area with 6M+ population and about a 20% poverty level. I doubt you'd leave your car unlocked in South Beach or at the Aventura Mall in the Miami area, so just practice safety in Dallas and you'll majorly decrease your chance of ever being a crime victim. I'm in my 30's, Dallas born & raised, and can't remember my family or myself ever being a crime victim here.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,728,895 times
Around the holidays, the police actually go around to people's cars in store parking lots and put notices on their cars about how they can see this and that and they could have been a robber and broken into their car. It's a warning to put things out of sight or remove from the car. It doesn't mean it's not "safe". It means we live in a very greedy world and people are always out for something that isn't theirs. You lived a very sheltered life if you didn't know people break into cars.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM

92 posts, read 161,991 times
Since you don't mind suburban living, Cedar Hill is a pretty good area that would be a reasonable commute to south G.P. It has some very nice nature areas. Like most suburbs is is very family oriented and also has a bit of fairly new development.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,045,114 times
If you're working in north Grand Prairie, then Uptown would be about 20 minutes away. You may have to add a little for rush hour, but I-30 in that area isn't usually bad. It may be something to consider if you don't like any closer areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas