Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 14,741 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I just got my 1st ever ticket(yes I had a clean driver record earlier) for speeding on the service road. My GPS showed that I had to ramp up but I realized that it was showing the long route so I decided not to ramp up. I was given a ticket for 59 on 45.

I called up the court and they told me that I can take Defensive driving and waive off the ticket. I am totally new to this state. Can I request the judge to convert it to a non moving violation? I was very good to the cop as well (who caught me). I have a 95/100 in my drivers ed course(the one that we give while applying for a new license).

Please give me some suggestion which is better than taking a defensive driving course.

Thanks,
Jacob

Last edited by jacobashford; 12-31-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobashford View Post
Hi Guys,

I just got my 1st ever ticket(yes I had a clean driver record earlier) for speeding on the service road. My GPS showed that I had to ramp up but I realized that it was showing the long route so I decided not to ramp up. I was given a ticket for 59 on 45.

I called up the court and they told me that I can take Defensive driving and waive off the ticket. I am totally new to this state. Can I request the judge to convert it to a non moving violation? I was very good to the cop as well (who caught me). I have a 95/100 in my drivers ed course(the one that we give while applying for a new license).

Please give me some suggestion which is better than taking a defensive driving course.

Thanks,
Jacob
There is no better suggestion. You could try fighting the ticket but if you were actually speeding, just suck it up and take defensive driving. Or just pay the ticket. And don't speed in Richardson; it's a heavy enforcement area.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Sorry, but I had to chuckle when you suggested turning a speeding ticket into a non moving violation. They don't do things like that. A ticket is a ticket. You take defensive driving and get put on probation and if you get a ticket during that time, the previous ticket goes on your record. Otherwise, it's not put on.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
As a veteran of a few ticket imposed defensive driving courses, look for a comedy defensive driving school. Some are pretty good, make some new friends, and with some, if it is held in a local resturant, lunch might just be included. Go have a good time. Not only will it keep it off your record, but it gets you a discount on your auto insurance.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobashford View Post
Hi Guys,

I am pretty sure I know where it was.

The blue camaro got me there a few days ago. Its very easy to go over 45 there.

RPD is a well run and well led force and the officers are superb.

Just go the DD route and then be a good boy for the next six months. Go with Comedy DD as noted above. The one I took 12 years ago was fun and I learned something. I also met a nice woman.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
... Or just pay the ticket.
Bad advice. Yes, the cost of defensive driving + deferred adjudication is about the same as simply paying the ticket, and you save the 6 hours of dummy school. But then you have to figure in the cost of several years of jacked-up insurance premiums.

As all the others have said, defensive driving is the way to make the ticket disappear. (Mine was also in Richardson. ) I did the course online and multitasked that and a couple of movies on the TV.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Bad advice. Yes, the cost of defensive driving + deferred adjudication is about the same as simply paying the ticket, and you save the 6 hours of dummy school. But then you have to figure in the cost of several years of jacked-up insurance premiums.

As all the others have said, defensive driving is the way to make the ticket disappear. (Mine was also in Richardson. ) I did the course online and multitasked that and a couple of movies on the TV.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay the ticket either; I'd do DD, but the OP seems to want to put his head in the sand and hope the whole thing goes away. I'm just presenting AN option, didn't say it was a good one.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Sorry, but I had to chuckle when you suggested turning a speeding ticket into a non moving violation. They don't do things like that. A ticket is a ticket. You take defensive driving and get put on probation and if you get a ticket during that time, the previous ticket goes on your record. Otherwise, it's not put on.
Unless they've changed it pretty recently, you get a choice of either defensive driving or deferred adjudication. You don't have to do both.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
What's with all the defensive driving love? Do deferred adjudication and you don't have to suffer through a class. Just don't get any tickets for the specified amount of time.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Sorry, but I had to chuckle when you suggested turning a speeding ticket into a non moving violation. They don't do things like that.
That is commonly done in the Northeast. If the prosecutor agrees, a speeder can be offered a guilty plea for something like "no brake light." Usually though one moving violation is reduced to another less serious moving violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: