Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM

46 posts, read 202,656 times

Advertisements

Well, an update on my situation. After more than a year on the market, we got an offer on our house TODAY--supposedly closing before October!!!!!!!! I take this as a sign we are not in the right school and there is a more appropriate place waiting for us. I do not feel in any way I am over reacting to what occurred this week. If nothing else, our current teacher lacks judgement in a very big way. Speaking of making judgements, SonshineLife I can tell this is something that is a strong suit of yours. Don't you have anything else to do all day? I posted a very valid concern. If you lay skid marks over my concerns, you really shouldn't be on a public message board. So, wash out your panties, make yourself a cocktail and get over yourself.

By the way, I am quite familiar with BL.

Last edited by Worried'n'FRISCO; 09-01-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,386 times
Worried in Frisco...matter of fact I was on the message board off and on today. I was home not feeling well and decided to post. Not going to apologize about that. Sorry you took this so personally.

Judgement... yep I did... and I don't regret this one. As far as judgemental you may want to look in your mirror. You've been portraying this with your child's school all week.

You'll be happy. I'm through with this post. I've said my piece and will stick by what I believe.

Oh and by the way if you were directing the BL comment to me. I'm the wrong person.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 09-01-2007 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Good choice. BUH-BYE!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
FARNORTHDALLAS--I am not doubting what you describe as the teachers or quality of teaching in your two examples--but when you mention in your second post that the kindergarten teacher had no credentials, no teaching experience, and how unable to function as a teacher (and a person) because of her emotional state--it would have clarified the issue to have mentioned that THAT school was not a public school but a private religous-oriented school like you did in the first one (someone might not have remembered that info)--private schools have far more leaway in whom they hire than public schools...

As far as the public school situation--you had a very dangerous, inept teacher--but the administrator is one who is just as dangerous and inept...unfortunately they do exist...

But the OP of this thread did not have that type of situation from my reading--and I don't advise jumping the gun in making accusations that are unfounded...

Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But the OP of this thread did not have that type of situation from my reading--and I don't advise jumping the gun in making accusations that are unfounded...
True. I totally agree. And I am even one who thinks parents should not be in the classroom at all. But I wanted to let the OP know that bad things do happen and it starts out with little things and you start doubting your reality. I look for patterns of behavior, not isolated incidents. But then they add up, and you go back to the first one or two things that happened and you think, well, I should have been more alarmed back then.

Yes, that first school was a private religious school as I mentioned, but they hold themselves out as a school with teachers, so parents have some expectation that the school will select qualified teachers. Just because it's a private religious school doesn't mean the parents have to accept substandard teachers and they get what they deserve.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Like you I am looking for a pattern and not an isolated incident. However, I have learned that when things start badly, they don't usually get better. When I go to a restaurant and no one is there to seat me and the place looks a mess with dirty tables, etc. I can almost be guaranteed of poor food and service. Likewise, I have found other situations in life to be similar. Luckily, one more month and we are out anyway. Thank the good heavens.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
Worried'n'FRISCO--
I do think you overreacted with this teacher--from your initial post what set you off was the idea that you could not be in the classroom with your child as a volunteer--well, that is the teacher's perogative--not yours---
you make it seem that getting a teching degree is no more valid than one for business administration or marketing for working in the classroom...there are specific classes, not just student-teaching semester, that puts education students in the classroom to work with children. They are observed/ evaluated by the observing teachers as well as their college teachers.
They must pass the state certification test in addition to having their degree credits...there is value to an education degree -- more now than when I got mine, I think, from seeing what my daughter and her friends had to do for their elementary education classes...

The teacher made one comment about not putting much stock in an after-school science program that required extra money---did you even consider that her response might be valid--the time spent might not be worth the money--did you ask any friends if their children had taken the class, did you ask if the material covered was on-grade-level, supplemental, or above-grade-level--did you ask who taught it or why the school/district supported the class and allowed it to use school facilities? If you did, you failed to mention that info...

Glad that you were able to get a buyer for your home, where are you moving? To another Frisco neighborhood, Plano, Allen, Southlake, Lewisville???

Now that school has started and classes are underway, your child might be in an awkward situation entering later, especially in Oct or Nov...friendships will already be started and many times newcomers even in elementary grades can have a difficult time after parameters are setup...some of the teaching curricula might not match with what your child has been doing--especially in a different district...

I hope you realize the same situation you are having here may come in your new location--I doubt that you will be offered the opportunity to cherry-pick your child's class/teacher...there are some districts with all-new elementary schools and most of them have teachers with less experience. More experienced teachers usually like to stay where they are working if they are happy with the situation instead of starting over with opening a new school---lots of transition, establishing new teams and proceedures...

You could also home-school...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,835 times
Default I hope you find comfort and peace!

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way. If it will ease your mind, I would suggest meeting with the teacher one on one and the director to address your concerns. That is your precious child and I know personally you don’t want to have to worry about them and you want to know they are getting the proper education they need. There is no one that will love and give to your child like you do. But hopefully it will be close once you talk to them. As an educator and owner I would love to know if one of my parents was not happy and/or concerned in any way. I know you want the best for your child and it is my prayer that you find comfort and peace in your heart. Below is a prayer that I have prayed over my son. I hope it gives you the same peace as I feel when I read it. Good luck to you and your family! I know it is not easy being a parent, but definitely the most incredible reward!

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-29-2007 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Please send prayers via Direct Message.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,007 times
I haven't read anything but the op.

I just want you to know that if you feel badly about her teaching your baby, ask the school to put him in another class. From my view point, you should be able to help out with bringing snacks, party foods and even some special occasions that call for extra help. I volunteered at my daughter's school in 4th grade with reading and it was awesome but that was because her teacher that year was an awesome lady plus the room mother was very gracious and very inclusive. The next year was all about control and maheim. So much I took my daughter out of school. What is concerning to me too is that she is all alone with 30 kids and no aide. Kindergarten should be the best year and if you feel that there is something wrong, ask for a transfer to another room or if that is dissatifactory, just pull your baby out all
together and put him in a private kindergarten.

I don't think for one moment you are being overbearing or out of control and know all to well how it feels to be accused of this personally. I also feel that if you feel picked on and feel that you are made out to be overbearing but not, sooner or later the truth will come out of the situation there and you will feel vindicated. This has happened in the situation with me personally.

I put my son in private kindergarten but it is completely full. I did though look around, if you want the names of some of them, I will give them to you...
I hope things get better.

Last edited by stargazer; 09-05-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Clearly, some teachers (as in all professions) are better than others, but is there something specific you are concerned about here? (Maybe this was covered in this thread and I missed it but I just wondered what specifically are your concerns?)

One safeguard I think you have in lieu of actually being in the class is that of your child. That age group is certainly articulate enough to elaborate if anything is amiss or something is upsetting to them.

Now having said all that, I will tell you that when my son was in elementary school in Dallas, I did some voluntary work just helping out in the cafeteria. I did observe some things there about the way the children were treated that I didn't like. So...no question it's good to keep your eyes open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas