Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Ah but to those like me, that is precisely what we aren't doing. We aren't maintaing what is Dallas. We can't mow our parks, we can't keep our pools, but we can do this.

Often big government or government/private projects are gravemarkers.
A good example is the Arts district. Now I say this as a theatre guy, who has worked in Dallas Theatre since my early 20's. The Arts district marks the grave of Dallas generated performing art. The high profile of the arts district, the Wylie the Winspear, means that they get all the media coverage. The city funding, and having buildings provided by the city, means they have one major expense basically covered. They bring in shows - in the case of the Winspear. and fill their shows with out of town, really out of state, talent - in the case of the Wylie. They get the media coverage as part of the "arts District" so they also attract the corporate sponsorship that used to be spread more evenly throughout the performing arts. The news also treats these productions as news stories, so they get free press so they get the ticket sale that used to be spread more evenly, and the actual DALLAS arts scene suffers.

By all means let Dallas be Dallas, beautify White Rock, reopen a swimming beach their. Do our best to help Bishop Arts grow, filled with locally produced stuff, and local businesses, but things like the Omni- a Government backed hotel given a competitive advantage over over hotels, rubs me the wrong way, and things like VP, mimicking what every other city has, don't seem like letting Dallas be Dallas, they seem like trying to make Dallas into some generic place like every other city.
How is Victory Park mocking other cities? What development is similar? But that Hotel created jobs and is totally booked. Can you see the bright side of things?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Poor phrasing on my part, my apologies. It is in Uptown, but declaring it a success because more apartments need to be built in Uptown is not relevant. The fact that Uptown overall is a great success doesn't mean each part of it is.

As or The Empire state building there are a few differences.
1: VP doesn't transform modern architecture or set records.
2: If the Empire State Building had been a public project sold to the people as. "This place will be a big success right away, and full of people al the time, not just when something is happening at the Arena."It would have been accurate for people in those first years to call it a failure.

I didn't debate that at all. I just said I doubt it holds up long term. With luck it will - though I still don't think we should have built it. Philosophically I'm against the government operating in what should be the private sector. Let em build libraries, parks, and pools, and let hoteliers build hotels
Yeah, I get what your saying but it takes time for things to take off. Places like NYC wasn't always vibrant. It takes time for things to become what it suppose to be.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yeah, I get what your saying but it takes time for things to take off. Places like NYC wasn't always vibrant. It takes time for things to become what it suppose to be.
Right!!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
The Victory Park/Uptown area has a occupancy of 95%.
Link?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Link?
After a breather, Dallas

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
A 95% occupancy rate for apartments in Uptown Dallas. That's not bad. The entire area (Victory Park + Uptown) isn't at 95% occupancy, like you were implying though.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
A 95% occupancy rate for apartments in Uptown Dallas. That's not bad. The entire area (Victory Park + Uptown) isn't at 95% occupancy, like you were implying though.
Oh, ok. I guess I miss interpreted. I'm sure there's gonna be another building boom with vacancy rates this low.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:
Ah but to those like me, that is precisely what we aren't doing. We aren't maintaing what is Dallas. We can't mow our parks, we can't keep our pools, but we can do this.

Often big government or government/private projects are gravemarkers.
A good example is the Arts district. Now I say this as a theatre guy, who has worked in Dallas Theatre since my early 20's. The Arts district marks the grave of Dallas generated performing art. The high profile of the arts district, the Wylie the Winspear, means that they get all the media coverage. The city funding, and having buildings provided by the city, means they have one major expense basically covered. They bring in shows - in the case of the Winspear. and fill their shows with out of town, really out of state, talent - in the case of the Wylie. They get the media coverage as part of the "arts District" so they also attract the corporate sponsorship that used to be spread more evenly throughout the performing arts. The news also treats these productions as news stories, so they get free press so they get the ticket sale that used to be spread more evenly, and the actual DALLAS arts scene suffers.

By all means let Dallas be Dallas, beautify White Rock, reopen a swimming beach their. Do our best to help Bishop Arts grow, filled with locally produced stuff, and local businesses, but things like the Omni- a Government backed hotel given a competitive advantage over over hotels, rubs me the wrong way, and things like VP, mimicking what every other city has, don't seem like letting Dallas be Dallas, they seem like trying to make Dallas into some generic place like every other city.
Like it or not, Dallas is changing quickly. People are moving in quickly. Just look at some of these threads. Everyone that moves here wants a piece of their home.

As for the hotel stuff, Where's the Arnold, "What you talkin' bout" emoticon? The convention center has been where it is for decades. Plenty of chances to do what convention goes have been begging for; a hotel connected or even within a couple of blocks of the center. Anyways, as if there's something called big, private business. Where's that emoticon?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM

457 posts, read 905,104 times
My only complaint is that the design is a bit more feminine for my taste, but I am just being picky. Then again, the bridge is named Margaret, not Rex, so I guess we are okay. Overall, the bridge looks fantastic and I am glad they built it. More please.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM

350 posts, read 867,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
My only complaint is that the design is a bit more feminine for my taste, but I am just being picky.
You've just gotten used to the clunky HKS designed crap that litters DFW. We all have. It's why anything with even a modicum of architectural modernity is such a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas