Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson82 View Post
Ok, maybe I am not looking in the right place. I went to realtor.com and searched for Preston Hollow, Dallas, Tx and it came up with 21 properties under 400K with Swimming Pool.

Is this the right area?

3707 Princess Ln Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11661875 - Realtor.com®

It looks closer to Dallas and seems more established.
That's not PH even if some real estate site is trying to build cache by calling it that. PH is zips 75220 (mostly) and some of 75225 north of Northwest Hwy. Also, this home is cheaper than the neighborhood it's in b/c it's a corner lot on a very busy major road, Marsh Lane.

That home is in the Disney Streets, a nice northwest Dallas neighborhood. Good elementary school and zoned to one of the best neighborhood DISD high schools, but far behind Coppell in terms of academics, SATs, AP results, etc.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 01-12-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson82 View Post
What my wife likes about PH is that the houses are more unique, the backyards and streets have tree, and it looks like nice area (at least when viewed in photos). We looked in Coppell and all of the houses seem the same.

Schools will definitely make a difference, but right now my kids are 8 months and 2 years and 8 months. I am more looking for a nice place to live, close to work, and a pool for the kids.

It would also be good if the area was diverse. Currently my son speaks French and Spanish, so if we could find a French daycare/school/ or tutor that would be great as well.
Coppell is definitely more cookie cutter than the in-town neighborhoods, as are most suburbs. Sparkman Club Estates is a great NW Dallas 1950's neighborhood with a neighbood club house/ swimming pool/ tennis courts that you may like. There are many other affordable 75229 (nw Dallas) neighborhoods like the Disney Streets home you found. Easy commute to Irving.

Most white families in PH & NW Dallas choose privates (ranging from $5-15k for preschool and $8-30k for K-12) because the best private schools are all,in this general area. This leaves the local public schools to be 70-95% Hispanic- not exactly diverse if your diverse is a "melting pot". There is definite economic diversity in the area though.

Since your kids are young, I'd rent for a year, and in NW Dallas if that area appeals to you. Unfortunately, the market in Dallad doesn't appreciate quickly and if you decide you don't want to send your nearly 3 y/0 to the local public K in 2 years, you'll be SOL -> either sell and not make enough to cover realtors commissions + closing costs or pay out the nose for private school. Renting would give you more short term flexibility in terms of future school decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas